Celtic v Kilmarnock

11 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

I meant that in the sense of  " gradually declining in effectivenesss". Not sure if that's down to complacency or distraction. 

Last time round Celtic drew 4 league games in total for the entire season, and won the rest. It's now just turning into November and they've already drawn 3. 

I disagree,Brendan is developing his squad at no point did i feel Celtic would lose that game,the full game was played in killies half because Steve Clark parked the bus.
Celtic have not been able to play our best 11 yet this season because of injuries,i point the finger at Brendan for dropping 2 points on Saturday because he had better options to win the game.Jones looks a good player and will cause other teams problems in this league but i still see killie as a bottom six team. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I disagree,Brendan is developing his squad at no point did i feel Celtic would lose that game,the full game was played in killies half because Steve Clark parked the bus.
Celtic have not been able to play our best 11 yet this season because of injuries,i point the finger at Brendan for dropping 2 points on Saturday because he had better options to win the game.Jones looks a good player and will cause other teams problems in this league but i still see killie as a bottom six team. 

Yes, full game as played in your half.

Nonsense.

Parking the bus is having 11% possession at home. Ring any bells? We had 36% possession on Saturday yet parked the bus? Roughly the same as you lot had in Munich and more than you had at home against PSG.

When we scored against you on Saturday we had 6 players in your box from an attack in open play. Some way to park the bus.

9 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yes, full game as played in your half.

Nonsense.

Parking the bus is having 11% possession at home. Ring any bells? We had 36% possession on Saturday yet parked the bus? Roughly the same as you lot had in Munich and more than you had at home against PSG.

When we scored against you on Saturday we had 6 players in your box from an attack in open play. Some way to park the bus.

What has possession got to do with the way Steve Clark set the killie team up? if you had 36% possession  most of that was played in  the kiilie  end?

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

What has possession got to do with the way Steve Clark set the killie team up? if you had 36% possession  most of that was played in  the kiilie  end?

Same can be said about about Celtic refusing to change their philosophy in Europe. What's the point if it means you get scudded 5-0 at home? We kept it tight first half and made sure we were in the game. 

For all their possession in our half, McDonald didn't exactly have many big saves. What's the point in possession when you sky shots over the bar repeatedly. 

What we did on Saturday was no different to Celtic of old when they were able to get results off top seeds in CL.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Same can be said about about Celtic refusing to change their philosophy in Europe. What's the point if it means you get scudded 5-0 at home? We kept it tight first half and made sure we were in the game. 

For all their possession in our half, McDonald didn't exactly have many big saves. What's the point in possession when you sky shots over the bar repeatedly. 

What we did on Saturday was no different to Celtic of old when they were able to get results off top seeds in CL.

I personally don't see anything wrong with how Kilmarnock played on Saturday.  

I personally don't see anything wrong with how Kilmarnock played on Saturday.  

Nor did I. I enjoyed watching Killie being organised and being able to get a goal back after going in one down at halftime. I can see the difference SC made even after just 3 away matches. The big test will be against on form Hibs on Saturday at home on that pitch. If SC can get the team playing with confidence hopefully we’ll get that elusive home win.

I have to agree. As squirel says above they set up to contain and stay in the game and they were excellent at it. We barely created a clear cut chance other than the goal. In the second half Killie opened up a bit and picked the right time to have a go and scored an excellent goal right after hitting the post. They fully deserved their point.

This current day obsession with football being played the "right way" is a lot of pish imo. Football is about winning and the beauty of it is that it can be won in literally hundreds of ways. I have watched Spain pass their way to being Euro Champions and I've seen Greece work their arses off and contain their way to being Euro Champions. Both teams won a major trophy by playing to the strengths of the players available to them.

For some reason the footballing world seems to have got caught up in this wierd obsession that hundreds of short passes is the only way to play the game. Possession is literally a statistic, one of many statistics that make up a football match.

If Killie want to come to Celtic Park and contain in order to get a result then good on them, absolutely no complaints from me.

1 minute ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Nor did I. I enjoyed watching Killie being organised and being able to get a goal back after going in one down at halftime. I can see the difference SC made even after just 3 away matches. The big test will be against on form Hibs on Saturday at home on that pitch. If SC can get the team playing with confidence hopefully we’ll get that elusive home win.

Steve Clarke is a fantastic appointment.  I actually wanted him as Celtic manager after Deila left, as I didn't think Rodgers was a realistic target and it seems to already be paying off for Killie as when was the last time a club avoided defeat against Celtic and Rangers, away, in the same week?

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You seem to be missing the point you are the one banging on about possession?Celtic made 6 changes from the Aberdeen game with Rodgers playing a weakened Celtic team thinking it was a good enough team to beat killie he got it wrong,Steve Clark set his team up with no ambition to win the game this is why killie are a bottom 6 team.I point the finger at Brendan Rodgers for dropping 2 points for nothing when he had better options to win the game,the fact that Celtic played a weakened team and still Steve Clark set his team up to park the bus this is why i give no credit to killie.
Your point on Brendan's philosophy in Europe we haven't got the players to park the bus. 

You seem to be missing the point you are the one banging on about possession?Celtic made 6 changes from the Aberdeen game with Rodgers playing a weakened Celtic team thinking it was a good enough team to beat killie he got it wrong,Steve Clark set his team up with no ambition to win the game this is why killie are a bottom 6 team.I point the finger at Brendan Rodgers for dropping 2 points for nothing when he had better options to win the game,the fact that Celtic played a weakened team and still Steve Clark set his team up to park the bus this is why i give no credit to killie.
Your point on Brendan's philosophy in Europe we haven't got the players to park the bus. 

What a lot of hysterical nonsense that is.

18 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Steve Clark set his team up with no ambition to win the game this is why killie are a bottom 6 team.

No ambition to win the game yet in our past three games we've beat Partick Thistle 2-0, come from behind to secure a creditable draw with Rangers and then done the same thing against Celtic? That sentence just doesn't match up with the evidence on offer. I can understand why you're saying that Celtic don't have the players to play in a defensive manner against the titans of Europe in the CL - and to be fair to you, the team have had some key injuries not least of all in the defensive department - but with the resources that Celtic have in comparison to every other club in Scotland, should they not have?

Like others have said in previous posts it's all very well being able to play the silky passing game where building from the back is the key mantra - but that doesn't mean that it's the be all and end all. A mark of a truly great team is being able to adapt to whatever situation and being able to divert from their usual game if the situation warrants it. I remember Steve Bruce's Sunderland team coming up to Rugby Park for a pre-season friendly game and I was expecting them to play their usual long-ball game but instead they passed us off the park because they knew they could do it. Should Celtic not be able to have the resources to change their style up if they need to? Surely a manager of Brendan Rodgers' calibre should be able to swap his game around when it comes to the big CL games?

Alternatively it could be a matter of principle where he states that no matter the opposition he's going to play a certain way. While that can be to a manager's credit it's not going to work every time against every club as Celtic playing in their usual style against the likes of PSG and Bayern will simply not work (the proof is very much in the results). Don't get me wrong, Kilmarnock are never going to be world-beaters but Steve Clarke has taken McCulloch's squad and given them a sound tactical shakeup, belief and cohesion with one another. With that squad he's proved that another way of playing is indeed possible and hopefully the rewards will come with that.

As for saying we're a bottom six team? You're perfectly entitled to think that given our recent league finishes - over the past five years I'd agree that we have been a bottom six team, and we may well be again this year. I'd accept a 7th or 8th place finish given where we are right now in the table in 11th. However if you look at the improvement in the squad in the past month or so and the results, I think the results are signs that we're a team who aren't going to be hanging around in the basement for all that much longer.

44 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

This is how it feels to be Celtic.

11 hours ago, Tartantony said:

I have to agree. As squirel says above they set up to contain and stay in the game and they were excellent at it. We barely created a clear cut chance other than the goal. In the second half Killie opened up a bit and picked the right time to have a go and scored an excellent goal right after hitting the post. They fully deserved their point.

This current day obsession with football being played the "right way" is a lot of pish imo. Football is about winning and the beauty of it is that it can be won in literally hundreds of ways. I have watched Spain pass their way to being Euro Champions and I've seen Greece work their arses off and contain their way to being Euro Champions. Both teams won a major trophy by playing to the strengths of the players available to them.

For some reason the footballing world seems to have got caught up in this wierd obsession that hundreds of short passes is the only way to play the game. Possession is literally a statistic, one of many statistics that make up a football match.

If Killie want to come to Celtic Park and contain in order to get a result then good on them, absolutely no complaints from me.

Fine post.

53 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Dribbling pish.

Fair play to Killie.  Would be too easy and rather unfair to try pass the result off purely as Celtic complacency.
Exactly, you also have to consider Clarke's superior head to head record over Rodgers..... He's clearly got Brendan's number [emoji6]

The big test will be against on form Hibs on Saturday at home on that pitch. If SC can get the team playing with confidence hopefully we’ll get that elusive home win.
I take it you mean tonight (Tuesday) against Hibs... Saturday is a trip to the egg chaser dome against Hearts.

Archived