North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A mysterious fire burnt it down, so a friend of  a friend told me..

Aye just looked it up and it was Celtic Shop and it was 10 year ago. You know you're getting on a bit when your memories start to concertina that much...10 into 2 😣

On 09/03/2023 at 18:09, LeedsPhil said:

Yes there is.

I attended a Bonar Bridge home game at the end of the North Caley season that had been due for the Saturday but was brought forward to the midweek and played under lights at borrowed Golspie.

When I asked why, the Bonar Bridge club official told me that he had had to do that move because the players had told him that they were off to their summer clubs (the primary football up there) and he'd have had insufficient left for the fixture had it remained on the Saturday.

Will Bonar Bridge continue as an NCL club next season ?

I've not heard any rumours about new clubs joining the league for 2023/24, although I thought Dornoch had previously expressed some interest in returning within a few years. Very unlikely for next season IMO.

4 hours ago, Robert James said:

Will Bonar Bridge continue as an NCL club next season ?

I've not heard any rumours about new clubs joining the league for 2023/24, although I thought Dornoch had previously expressed some interest in returning within a few years. Very unlikely for next season IMO.

I can't see Dornoch starting up again. 

Only place I can see potential for a new team would be Dingwall/Muir but everyone is more interested in the summer league so I wouldn't hold my breath

f**k you Brora. Heard they were getting a bit ambitious after all the unfortunately timed stag dos last time, but this is beyond the pale. They can start poaching players from Stenhousemuir now instead of Clach, given they have zero youth development at home. What a bunch of fucking zeros. 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/5686978/exclusive-highland-league-stalwart-sets-out-conference-case/

Aye,...well noo...See when the chap above said that Nairn County weren't going to have a team in the NCL...I thought tae my wee self...Hmmmm, does that mean ?...erm...surely not. Not them.

Turns out that Bawbag Rangers want to align themselves with yon other ones.

The game is a bogey.

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

f**k you Brora. Heard they were getting a bit ambitious after all the unfortunately timed stag dos last time, but this is beyond the pale. They can start poaching players from Stenhousemuir now instead of Clach, given they have zero youth development at home. What a bunch of fucking zeros. 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/5686978/exclusive-highland-league-stalwart-sets-out-conference-case/

Gretna of the North.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think Athletic are hoping for a pitch from the new ICT training facility at the IRA, which will probably never be built, so Loch Ness would be the more likely tenant at the UHI. It seems Loch Ness are fairly settled at Fortrose, so I don't even know if moving to Inverness is currently on their agenda.

8 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I think Athletic are hoping for a pitch from the new ICT training facility at the IRA, which will probably never be built, so Loch Ness would be the more likely tenant at the UHI. It seems Loch Ness are fairly settled at Fortrose, so I don't even know if moving to Inverness is currently on their agenda.

Maybe a better chance of a license at the UHI eventually?

This development was mentioned a couple of years or so ago. If Athletic or Loch Ness don't use it could there be a UHI team in the NCal soon? Ground-sharing must also be a possibility so two teams benefitting?

On 16/05/2023 at 17:27, Dev said:

This development was mentioned a couple of years or so ago. If Athletic or Loch Ness don't use it could there be a UHI team in the NCal soon? Ground-sharing must also be a possibility so two teams benefitting?

ICL might attract more students to the university, if it had a senior/winter football outlet.  A ground share with Athletic or Ness would provide some finance for pitch/ground maintenance.

On 16/05/2023 at 17:27, Dev said:

We were discussing this subject on pitches at UHI about 10 years ago regarding Inverness City in the North Juniors threads on the Juniors Forum, maybe on FitbaNorth. The artist's impression looks like a ground that might be suitable for the North Juniors.

7 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

We were discussing this subject on pitches at UHI about 10 years ago regarding Inverness City in the North Juniors threads on the Juniors Forum, maybe on FitbaNorth. The artist's impression looks like a ground that might be suitable for the North Juniors.

It would certainly be ok for the North Caley, maybe for the Highland League after phase 2. Inverness City would probably have found somewhere to play if they'd chosen the North Caley, the North Juniors have stricter rules.