North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Saddens me how utterly shit Golspie Sutherland are, being the only licensed team aside from Fort William I've wanted them to gain promotion for years so they can have a wee derby with Brora. 

I talked to one of their directors in a pub up there last year, and he said they have zero wish to get promoted. They're not that bad, beat Hawick in the Scottish Cup prelim and only lost to Forres on penalties in the 1st round proper.

As much as it would look nice, Golspie in the Highland League would be a disaster. Unless they swapped with Wick and a lot of other things changed, but there's no need for any of that. 

Brora living within their means and being a shite HL/solid NCL team would do everyone up there a favour imo

On 26/10/2023 at 15:46, Spyro said:

As much as it would look nice, Golspie in the Highland League would be a disaster. Unless they swapped with Wick and a lot of other things changed, but there's no need for any of that. 

Brora living within their means and being a shite HL/solid NCL team would do everyone up there a favour imo

Why?

You hate the North?

Just asking. as, growing up in Caithness we felt totally ignored and ostracised by the HFL and SFA(c***s)

26 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Why?

You hate the North?

Just asking. as, growing up in Caithness we felt totally ignored and ostracised by the HFL and SFA(c***s)

Couldn't be further from the truth!

I think it's well known that having Clach, Brora and Wick in the Highland League pretty much sweeps up all (and more) of the available, local players that can compete at that level. I know what the clubs would choose out of, having 2 decent HL teams North of Inverness or having everyone cutting each others' throat. 

I think Golspie are just happy to be playing in a competitive NCL again tbh

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Yeah, that's not how it works 🤣

Need to back it up with 💸💸💸

There’s location as well with most HL teams recruiting/poaching most of their players from the megacities of Inverness and Aberdeen. Buckie have 2 minibuses just for picking up their players from East and West. It would take a major sugar daddy to convince players trained up by Clach to sign for say Thurso.