North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

10 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

To be fair he's criticising the proposal, not explicitly the presence of 2nd teams. It's not like he's being hypocritical.

He is being a bit hypocritical.  Sack the B teams from your league before critising the proposal (which I wholeheartedly agree with him on).

26 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He is being a bit hypocritical.  Sack the B teams from your league before critising the proposal (which I wholeheartedly agree with him on).

The North Caley struggles for numbers and has traditionally included reserve sides, it's totally different from cuckoo B-teams planting their fat arses in the middle of the pyramid. 

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The North Caley struggles for numbers and has traditionally included reserve sides, it's totally different from cuckoo B-teams planting their fat arses in the middle of the pyramid. 

B Teams aren't ok anywhere in the Pyramid.  Regardless of what tier of it they're in.

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

B Teams aren't ok anywhere in the Pyramid.  Regardless of what tier of it they're in.

Clach had a team in the North of Scotland U20 League, but in their last season they only managed 2 fixtures, so they applied for the North Caley who welcomed them in, as a reserve team, not a B-team. They weren't taking anyone's place, if anything they were making up for Bunillidh Thistle and Scourie dropping out.

image.thumb.png.988e10425b57849c2d781daf69a5a5d4.png

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

There's 2 B teams in the North Caley.

Nairn County has withdrawn their side from the League.

Having B teams at the bottom rung of the ladder and making their way up from there is another matter. The NCal is the local bottom of the ladder.

Just now, Dev said:

Nairn County has withdrawn their side from the League.

Having B teams at the bottom rung of the ladder and making their way up from there is another matter. The NCal is the local bottom of the ladder.

I’m well aware of that.  There’s no place for them at any level. The NCL should just operate with 2 less teams.

How are they ok at one level of the pyramid and not at another?

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Are we seriously going with reserve and b teams aren’t the same thing?

For football development I think reserve teams with no age restrictions are much better than the B-teams which I think are u20 only, in Scotland at least. If there were enough clubs fielding reserve teams in the North I'd be happy with that, but there isn't, so if we're not poaching someone else's spot in the North Caley I don't see the harm, most clubs below that level prefer Summer football anyway.

10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I’m well aware of that.  There’s no place for them at any level. The NCL should just operate with 2 less teams.

How are they ok at one level of the pyramid and not at another?

It's the bottom of the pyramid, nobody's buying their way in. Nor is it a distortion of having a full-time team playing amongst part-timers.

There isn't a reserve league in the area and amateurs are summer football. So it should all just end when the league serves its original purpose?

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

It's the bottom of the pyramid, nobody's buying their way in. Nor is it a distortion of having a full-time team playing amongst part-timers.

There isn't a reserve league in the area and amateurs are summer football. So it should all just end when the league serves its original purpose?

So you're for B teams in the pyramid.  Good to know, albeit surprising.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

So you're for B teams in the pyramid.  Good to know, albeit surprising.

I'm not.

I understand the practicality and difference between the longstanding history of the NCL and SoS being used for reserve sides due to the limited options in an isolated area. Compared to full-time teams ballooning their squads and evading reserve leagues that exist. 

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'm not.

I understand the practicality and difference between the longstanding history of the NCL and SoS being used for reserve sides due to the limited options in an isolated area. Compared to full-time teams ballooning their squads and evading reserve leagues that exist. 

The NCL can operate with 2 less teams.  There's zero need for Clach and Nairn to enter B teams into it.  Same for BoD putting a B team at tier 7 in the NRJ First Division.

If Clach, Nairn and BoD want their young lads to get game time, loan them out.

Same with the SoSL.  Operate with 10 instead of 12 and chuck out the Stranraer and Caley Braves B teams.

I don't see it as a one size fits all thing, I'm all in favour of loaning out players but if there's no reserve league available and you have players in and out of the first team, then the North Caley could be the only way of getting them game time while still being available for selection for the big team. The likes of Brora and Rothes don't bother with all that, they just wait till Clach have trained up someone a bit special then they poach them.

Edited by welshbairn

37 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't think that is what he said.

He's implying B teams are fine in remote areas of the country to make up the numbers.  Which is horseshit.  You just have less teams in the league.