Christmas Food & Drink

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Don't usually care about the food but always drink myself into oblivion and am always completely out of shape by the end of it and in abject fear of what the near distant future holds for me once I have sobered up.  

Is the missus still drinking? Booze and cigs are the way to go if she doesn't want a big baby (apart from you obviously).

11 minutes ago, throbber said:

Don't usually care about the food but always drink myself into oblivion and am always completely out of shape by the end of it and in abject fear of what the near distant future holds for me once I have sobered up.  

Aye but what abut Christmas day?

I don't really drink that much at Christmas.  I don't like the feeling of being massively full and *having* to drink alcohol.  This year we are going up to my mother-in-laws, which will be nice but I'll be driving as my wife will be seven and a half months pregnant and will need to go home at the end of it.

Can't wait to have a kid at Christmas and see how excited they get.

Last year I spent Xmas day with some polish friends. They made a huge pot of bigos. For those that don't know, this is a traditional polish stew that is made of sauerkraut and meat.

I wasn't too keen to start with but it was really good.

I was letting out some really ripe farts afterwards though.

Probably not getting home for Christmas so will likely just be at the pub on the day, considering that Christmas Eve is the thing here. Find turkey to be an utterly joyless meat but unfortunately the Czech fare of fried carp and potato salad is not great either. I'll likely just put some beef in the slow cooker or something. 

I'll be in Peru at the inlaws. The Peruvians get many food things right, but this one spectacularly wrong. The meal starts after midnight on Christmas Eve/Day, so you're bored/starving/knackered. The food itself is OK - turkey, candied sweet potato, rice, potato salad. But nobody drinks, apart from a tiny glass of Peruvian "champagne". All in all, it's a shit state of affairs and a real missed opportunity :(

For some unfathomable reason we'll be having all the turkey bits&bobs in a couple of weeks. 

For Christmas (I get to choose cos it's ma birthday)

Smoked salmon stuffed with prawns

Roast beef & homemade gravy/Roast & mashed tatties/Asparagus

Birthday cake (it's also my wee granddaughter's birthday)

Cheese of multiple variety

Ginger beer

not a fan of santamas but kept up the family tradition of steak pie, home made including the puff pastry ( a day of spotify, loads of beer and every c*nt banned from the kitchen to make it so nice times) as had been said pigs in blankets is a must, like to brush a smigin of mustard over them and cover in black pepper just before they come out the oven, mash n roasts obv as for the rest not interested apart from the beer n the walnut whips.

A 3-in-1-burd. And something similar for dinner.

I married into an Ooter Heebrides family in 89 and the first year was a shock to the system - multiple plates of soup to keep you going, 6 different  stuffings, multiple desserts, Noel Edmonds (c**t) on the telly.  

After 20 years (or so), my gut became accustomed and, over the last few years, they've all felt a bit... lightweight.  Can someone suggest something that a real trencherman could take in his stride while still fucking over these pretenders?

BTW the father-in-law is still going strong and, at 86, gives me a run for my money.  Anything I could do to bring my inheritance that wee bit closer while still adopting that festive spirit?

Edited by The DA

1 minute ago, The DA said:

I married into an Ooter Heebrides family in 89 and the first year was a shock to the system - multiple plates of soup to keep you going, 6 different  stuffings, multiple desserts, Noel Edmonds (c**t) on the telly.  

After 20 years (or so), my gut became accustomed and, over the last few years, they've all felt a bit... lightweight.  Can someone suggest something that a real trencherman could take in his stride while still fucking over these pretenders?

BTW the father-in-law is still going strong and, at 86, gives me a run for my money.  Anything I could do to bring my inheritance that wee bit closer while still adopting that festive spirit?

I think I've seen that film.

7 minutes ago, The DA said:

Take some nice cold meats from Barr the Butcher in Wishaw. Top it of with some Dunsyre Blue cheese.

6 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Irn bru for breakfast with cooked breakfast.
Irn bru to keep me going and some sweets .
Irn bru for tea /dinner and joint of beef with whatever else gets made.
A final irn bru to bring in the evening.

That will do

I always cook Christmas dinner and I always end up with Irn Bru as my drink since once I've served it up I don't want to waste time pouring a wine or beer. Since I've usually got a Bru already poured, I end up finishing it with dinner. Id never pour it away tbh. As for food, I've only had turkey once this century. I tend to go for fillet steak, roast beef or duck but I saw pheasant mentioned earlier and that's got me thinking I might have that this year. I like to change the starter every year too but not really thought about this year but a cheeseboard is a constant every year. Some Brie, Stilton and Camembert plus another just to mix it up a bit. Even with drink, I try to have something that I don't drink during the rest of the year just to make it a wee bit different.