Christmas Eve boxes

1 hour ago, Finch road said:

This guy gets it. Christmas is a great time of year

It is...but won't remain so if the day is extended to include Christmas Eve.  Next it will be Boxing Day etc.  Keep it special - 25th only. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will just be another Facebook pissing contest.  Pictures of a box overflowing with the most expensive phones and clothes that credit cards can buy for little Klamidia.

"Look wot Santa left erly for mi we angil!!!"

She'll totally deserve it too, been good all year and only expelled from the 2 schools.

3 hours ago, The Master said:

I can't help but think this is the source of the recent clamour to provide "safe spaces" and the like. The first generation of kids brought up by "Christmas Eve Box" types now growing up. 

I was wondering what yer da thought of this phenomenon, I'm glad I now know.

30 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

This will just be another Facebook pissing contest.  Pictures of a box overflowing with the most expensive phones and clothes that credit cards can buy for little Klamidia.

"Look wot Santa left erly for mi we angil!!!"

She'll totally deserve it too, been good all year and only expelled from the 2 schools.

Certainly not about that for us, certainly no presents in it. Everything that goes in the box is something we can do as a family on Christmas eve and something we'd do anyway.  Whether putting it in a box  is too far I suppose is just personal opinion.

Edited to add:

It's stuff like - New pyjamas, hot chocolate for before bed, a film to watch  and popcorn to eat while watching it. Think last year one of the super markets did ginger bread Xmas trees that you decorated yourselve as well that we bunged in. As I said we'd do that any way and just decided to make it a little more special for the kids.

7 hours ago, The Master said:

Won't it also just have the effect of just pushing back the "can't sleep" night to that of the 23rd because kids get excited for their "Christmas Eve Box"?

I've seen photos of these on Facebook in previous years. The sort of things that go in them are the sort of things I'd have got as presents when I was younger.

I can't help but think this is the source of the recent clamour to provide "safe spaces" and the like. The first generation of kids brought up by "Christmas Eve Box" types now growing up. 

What? How have you arrived at this frankly mental conclusion? 

Anyway, I had never heard of this shit until last year.

3 hours ago, stu_mfc said:

Certainly not about that for us, certainly no presents in it. Everything that goes in the box is something we can do as a family on Christmas eve and something we'd do anyway.  Whether putting it in a box  is too far I suppose is just personal opinion.

Edited to add:

It's stuff like - New pyjamas, hot chocolate for before bed, a film to watch  and popcorn to eat while watching it. Think last year one of the super markets did ginger bread Xmas trees that you decorated yourselve as well that we bunged in. As I said we'd do that any way and just decided to make it a little more special for the kids.

I suppose that's similar to what we did, just in a box. We rented a film, had hot chocolate, and were allowed to open one present after midnight Mass (<<<<big team found) which always turned out to be new pyjamas.

You seem a sensible type, and I'd hope you are in the majority, but the cynic in me doubts it.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

You seem a sensible type, and I'd hope you are in the majority, but the cynic in me doubts it.

You're probably right. The attention seekers will definetly take it too far. 

Archived