Peterhead v Dumbarton

aftershocker

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a weird watch on Periscope. Peterhead spent the entire 45 camped in our half, winning cheap free-kicks on the edge of the box and generally looking threatening. We crossed the half-way line twice and scored both times.

Delighted to see Beany doing the ninety and grabbing a goal and an assist. Delighted too for the SeaGal getting a couple of goals. His second was a nice striker's finish, and his first sounds like it was decent too. Hopefully he kicks on in the league now.

On the downside that's another two conceded from set-pieces. Not that it can take the shine off the result - I genuinely didn't give us much of a hope.

Safe journey home to the Sons fans who made the trip. You can enjoy it knowing that in deepest Milngavie there's a wee (quite tall actually) guy sat in his room seething that he missed Iain Russell's first goal back.

Raging at that. Fleming made an arse of the first two goals, and I can't remember him making a save. Dumbartons keeper made some quality saves in the second half. Five more minutes and I think we would've scored. That ref was a joke by the way, no idea what he saw to book Riley with about a minute left, knocked the ball past the defender then got cleaned out.
Ah well, we probably weren't going to win the cup anyway. Fair play to the Dumbarton fans that made the trip.

1 minute ago, cameron2000 said:

Will there be highlights from this? I know all Scottish Cup games were meant to have them

I think there will be on the SFA website.Maybe tomorrow or the day after.Certainly used to have cameras at all the games.

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That was a weird watch on Periscope. Peterhead spent the entire 45 camped in our half, winning cheap free-kicks on the edge of the box and generally looking threatening. We crossed the half-way line twice and scored both times.

In the second half of a game  at Tynecastle many moons ago we crossed the halfway line three times and scored each one and won 5-2. One of my best Sons' away memories along with beating Dunfermline at East End 3-0 with only nine men.

6 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

According to the BBC Peterhead had 11 shots on target to 3 from Sons. Remarkably Sons scored from all three shots!!

11 shots on target would normally be enough to win any game but it was not enough tonight. Good luck to Dumbarton in the next round. 

18 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

Raging at that. Fleming made an arse of the first two goals, and I can't remember him making a save. Dumbartons keeper made some quality saves in the second half. Five more minutes and I think we would've scored. That ref was a joke by the way, no idea what he saw to book Riley with about a minute left, knocked the ball past the defender then got cleaned out.
Ah well, we probably weren't going to win the cup anyway. Fair play to the Dumbarton fans that made the trip.

Calum Gallagher with a double

Scott Gal pulling out the saves

Me rn:

tenor.gif

A win is a win, but I get the impression that the football God's decided tonight that Peterhead were due a bum rap and we were happy to be in town when it happened. That second-half sounded like a siege on our goal.

So we look for glimmers of hope, and that takes the human form of Wardrop, Froxylias, Nisbet and Russell....by Jeez how we need to pray that they can both play and perform for the rest of the season.

And all of them starting this coming Saturday.

Real backs to the wall in the second half. Gave away too many free kicks allowing Gibson to launch balls into our box. Our much maligned keeper made some excellent saves by the way.

I think if Peterhead had played McAllister from the start it might have been a different result.

Well done to the Sons fans who traveled much further than I did. Safe journey home!

Some of the sons fans negativity on here is just getting plain old boring and depressing to read. 

I discussed with a couple of our fans last week that I actually thought we would win this match, despite the current runs of form. There is simply a huge gap from the championship to league 2. There's a big gap down to league 1 - as demonstrated in our cup match vs Raith earlier this season. 

We have to remember the quality of sides we have been facing in the league the last few weeks. Dunfermline, St Mirren and Livingston (slightly less so imo) have very good squads. Dunfermline seem to have our number, St Mirren are in very good form and will no doubt win the league and Livingston are picking up a fair few decent results this season. In the last couple of months we lost narrowly to ICT and drew 0-0 with Queens and Falkirk (both of which I viewed as opportunities missed).

The way I see it, we must have had some decent quality to score from every shot we had on target tonight, as opposed to this major stroke of luck some of our fans might want to believe to back up their doom and gloom tones.

Aye all the best to Dumbarton in the next round glad its over with as although we probably deserved at least a draw we need to get on with league business. As mentioned well done to the away support that made it up would have said at least 20 hope the journey home is safe as well as happy. As for Gavin Ross have not really needed a rant at a ref for a while but he really is a joke would say it was down him that things got a bit niggly toward the end as players can be excused for treating him with disdain as he has not a clue. A couple of our players said before the game we would get nothing from him & he was in danger of losing the plot like he did in a game of ours a few years back sending off 3 of our players in an incident of his own making, anyway if we never see him again that will be too soon

Pleased to see us progress, in spite of the ongoing selection issues. Looked a tricky tie on paper and we've navigated through whilst scoring a few goals. I'll take that.

Any particular reason why Nade wasn't in the squad tonight?

We've a reasonable chance of slinking through to the last 8 this year and hopefully bag a jackpot tie.

Some of the sons fans negativity on here is just getting plain old boring and depressing to read. 
I discussed with a couple of our fans last week that I actually thought we would win this match, despite the current runs of form. There is simply a huge gap from the championship to league 2. There's a big gap down to league 1 - as demonstrated in our cup match vs Raith earlier this season. 
We have to remember the quality of sides we have been facing in the league the last few weeks. Dunfermline, St Mirren and Livingston (slightly less so imo) have very good squads. Dunfermline seem to have our number, St Mirren are in very good form and will no doubt win the league and Livingston are picking up a fair few decent results this season. In the last couple of months we lost narrowly to ICT and drew 0-0 with Queens and Falkirk (both of which I viewed as opportunities missed).
The way I see it, we must have had some decent quality to score from every shot we had on target tonight, as opposed to this major stroke of luck some of our fans might want to believe to back up their doom and gloom tones.
That will be me you're referring to. It was a good win tonight, that is beyond debate, but my point is that we cannot get carried away for the simple reason that the last three home games have highlighted that without our best eleven on the park we can't compete, never mind win.

That is no-ones fault but it's grim to watch and the plain truth is that Livvy, the Pars and the Buddies won easily, especially the latter; in that context I made the comment about the four particular players.

With respect, you should not confuse realism with negativity. All I ever ask of Sons is that we compete and we've a great record of doing that in the last six seasons.

To all the sons fans who feared the worst with Peterhead scoring 20 odd goals this year .

you can all go to bed now cause WE Won.

forget the stats there’s only one set that count . 

Agree with sbox 

its going to be a long run in but let’s gives the team the backing they deserve. Well done to those who made it up today 

Archived