Top 50 Most Hated Players To Have Played In Scottish Football

The Old Firm clubs (one deceased) have/had an amazing ability to turn people who previously had no interest in the Glasgow sectarian divide into raging bigots.

21 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

23. Mark Hateley - 38 points.

mhateley.jpg

His son is a horrific footballer, which actually earned Mark (Unfairly IMO) a vote or two. I seen him at a St Johnstone vs Dundee game once and couldn't get over his ridiculous fake tan look he's got going these days. An absolute slotter for Rangers, he was a bully of a striker.  He's one of a long list of Rangers men who's never out of the papers commenting on their different affairs.

Best moment?

Probably his tear stained comments that Celtic's titles would be tainted forever more due to Rangers going bust.

Hateley's fashion sense, abysmal as it was, pales in comparison to his absolutely manky looking haircut. 

Vile

mark-hateley-glasgow-rangers-fc-10-april-1995-HNMEDH.thumb.jpg.ee75fd53d49d7b737dafb06b57158a8a.jpg

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

Didn't Hately take over as Ross County manager and get the boot after 4 days as he was a major c**t to everyone? 

Just played a couple of games for them I think.  Late 90's so probably the old 2nd Division.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Always hated that c**t and his haircut.

The Max Wall look to pretend he didn't have a massively receding hairline just made him look more ridiculous than he was.

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

The Max Wall look to pretend he didn't have a massively receding hairline just made him look more ridiculous than he was.

It was just jakey and made him look like a scumbag. Which he was.

35 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Just played a couple of games for them I think.  Late 90's so probably the old 2nd Division.

I couldn't remember if he was just a player or had actually been appointed manager. Either way I'm sure they booted him out pronto because of 'personality'. 

ETA - Yep, just player. His personality was the problem though as confirmed by Forkboy -
'He was never manager here. He played 2 games, I think both were away from home so I never actually saw him but from what I remember it basically came down to Cooper deciding he was having a negative impact on the squad, & Hately through a hissy fit saying he "bottled it". Which sort of proved Cooper's point really.'

Edited by 7-2

18 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

I couldn't remember if he was just a player or had actually been appointed manager. Either way I'm sure they booted him out pronto because of 'personality'. 

I remember him signing for Ross County in 1999 and the Daily Record had a two page 'exclusive' full of sycophantic arse licking pish that Saturday morning about how he would tear up what was then the third tier of Scottish football and how a bumper 2000 crowd was expected at that afternoons match at Stirling Albion etc etc, I went to that game and a 36 year old, two stone overweight John Philliben schooled him in the Albion's 2-1 win in front of an average crowd where he barely got a touch of the ball and was hooked after 70 minutes, after which Ross County scored and had their best spell of the match,  pretty sure he managed one more appearance as a substitute before being chased.

Utter w****r of a guy as well a chronically hopeless, annoying co commentator in a short spell at Setanta Sports.

Edited by Flybhoy

Always despised Hateley, and am sure that stems from even before the  91 title deciding game, but that  just summed him up. 

"Critical events were scattered through the game. Mark Hateley's unforgiving leap into the air to win a high ball from Michael Watt, Aberdeen's young goalkeeper, set the tone for the occasion. It also left Watt crumpled on the ground."

Hateley's column in the Record was always a laugh. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/authors/mark-hateley/

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-are-being-bullied-out-of-scotland-1542827

I’ve heard people say that if Rangers and Celtic left, it could be the saviour of the Scottish game because the league would become more competitive.

But when you take two massive, worldwide brands and institutions out of a country, it automatically makes it weaker. That would be the case, even outside of football.

The Scottish game is famous for the Old Firm derby. That’s it.

Outside of Scotland, all it is known for is Rangers v Celtic, not Hibs v Hearts or Aberdeen or any other clubs winning a trophy.

It’s all about the Old Firm up here. And without it, there’s nothing left.

Hateley's column in the Record was always a laugh. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/authors/mark-hateley/
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-are-being-bullied-out-of-scotland-1542827

I’ve heard people say that if Rangers and Celtic left, it could be the saviour of the Scottish game because the league would become more competitive.

But when you take two massive, worldwide brands and institutions out of a country, it automatically makes it weaker. That would be the case, even outside of football.

The Scottish game is famous for the Old Firm derby. That’s it.

Outside of Scotland, all it is known for is Rangers v Celtic, not Hibs v Hearts or Aberdeen or any other clubs winning a trophy.

It’s all about the Old Firm up here. And without it, there’s nothing left.

wtf-meme.jpg

33 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

At least he is in agreement that with his son playing for said insignificant clubs, Tom is therefore also shite.

On 08/06/2018 at 08:19, nsr said:

The Old Firm clubs (one deceased) have/had an amazing ability to turn people who previously had no interest in the Glasgow sectarian divide into raging bigots.

such as?