The Outlaw King

Silvio Tattiescone

I thought it was a great film and James Douglas was the best character in it. I imagine the actor was told just to watch Leigh Griffiths’ second freekick against England on repeat and just behave like every single Scottish person in the world at that moment. I don’t know if this is a spoiler, but as the film is being credited for its historical accuracy, where the f**k can I get more information on this monkey that could ride a horse and fire a wee bow and arrow?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One wee thing I found interesting about the filming: all of the interior shots of Bruce's castle - the wedding reception, various meetings full of meaningful glances, etc - were filmed in the old Motorola factory in Bathgate, parts of which are now used as a studio. As realistic as it looks, all the walls are plaster or plastic. It's the same room that was used in Trainspotting 2 for the 'no more Catholics' scene.

I also noticed filming at Blackness Castle, Craigmillar Castle, Linlithgow Palace and Doune Castle. Any more?

Kinda agree about the trilogy
Part I from Falkirk to Loudon Hill
Part II from Loudon Hill to Edward Bruce besieging Stirling
Part III Bannockburn 
Remember his life's work was not complete until 14 years after BB, and he died 15 years after it.

I also noticed filming at Blackness Castle, Craigmillar Castle, Linlithgow Palace and Doune Castle. Any more?
Glasgow cathedral, when they are riding up before Bruce confesses to killing in a sacred place.

Douglas struck me as being the same character as the Irishy guy in Braveheart.

Spoiler

Overall it was a good watch but seemed rushed. However if it is to be the opening part of a three film series I’d be more than happy with it.

Will watch again.

p.s.

Spoiler

What happened to the hound? 

As others have said below, Glasgow Cathedral and Berwick (the Glasgow riot and all the scenes with galloping over bridges), also Loch an Eilean and Ryvoan pass in Rothiemurchus, Glen Etive, various locations on Skye, the hillside above Inverbeg/ Glen Douglas and Mugdock Country Park. Not sure where the battle of Loudoun Hill was filmed though. The wedding and funeral were inside St Michael's beside Linlithgow Palace.

Thought it was only ok. Thought the characterization, particularly of Rab the Bruce, was a bit boring.  They went for a simple Heroes v Villains when I get the impression he was actually more of an ambitious schemer than a noble man of the people. It was well shot and the battle scenes were fine but I suppose they were nothing new. Unlike Braveheart there was nothing particularly memorable about it, although it was a less stupid film than Braveheart. 

Obviously it is hard to know precisely what went on in the early 14th century but a more realistic portrayal of Robert the Bruce as a Norman noble jockeying for position and ready to throw in with the English if it was beneficial to him would be a lot more interesting to me. 

Thought it was only ok. Thought the characterization, particularly of Rab the Bruce, was a bit boring.  They went for a simple Heroes v Villains when I get the impression he was actually more of an ambitious schemer than a noble man of the people. It was well shot and the battle scenes were fine but I suppose they were nothing new. Unlike Braveheart there was nothing particularly memorable about it, although it was a less stupid film than Braveheart. 
Obviously it is hard to know precisely what went on in the early 14th century but a more realistic portrayal of Robert the Bruce as a Norman noble jockeying for position and ready to throw in with the English if it was beneficial to him would be a lot more interesting to me. 
I think i read somewhere that the film was originally premiered at a film festival somewhere and it was longer and more focused about the politics involved but it didn't get rated very well and it appears that they streamlined it for Netflix and took out alot of the political stuff.

Watching it now. Initial thoughts are that it all seems a bit rushed. Should have been a 3 hour film, or possibly even a trilogy of 2 hour films, but it’s one 2 hour film.

Thought the same - nice steady build up for first hour and a half then they rushed everything into the last half hour.

A missed opportunity - would have been better as a miniseries.

I thought the acting was good and the accents pretty good.

Pleased to see Scottish locations being used - instead of Ireland as has been done in the past.

Archived