Montrose v. Peterhead

Spoiler

It was nice being able to sit back (stand Really) & enjoy the demolition job we did on Montrose today. We started well & were well on top at 2 up but then gave away a sloppy goal before half time when we eased off a bit. Started the second half with more purpose & quickly put the game beyond Montrose & deservedly so. It was good to see Dillon punished for a terrible challenge from behind on Rory although the ref only gave a yellow card Willies Gibsons resulting free-kick gained some justice. The game petered out a bit for the last 15-20 mins with the usual subs etc. The guy took the Montrose 2nd well, but came away very happy at the result but left wondering how many it could have been if we had kept at it all game.

Excellent performances from Peterhead today, Willie Gibson probably MoM for his delivery from corners and also his fine finish from the free kick for the 5th goal. I'm not sure what warrants a straight red card nowadays but Dillons assault on McAllister which led to the freekick had to be more than a yellow.

Muttered out loud that 'this could get ugly' at 3-1.

A disappointing shitshow which harked back to darker days: the decision to tinker at the back for such a crucial game went horribly wrong, and I'd really like to see how SP explains it in the Tele/Review. Lucky not to be 4-0 down by half time, our usual start-of-second-half-lurgy quickly sorted the game out. Referee had no handle on the game at all - was also surprised Dillon got away without a red.

Hopefully just a one-off but it will no doubt give Peterhead massive confidence (they were untroubled for most of the afternoon, much sharper) whilst doing massive damage to our GD. Quick bounce back needed, or I suspect PH will take control of the league and gradually get themselves out of sight.

On 26/12/2017 at 10:44, mo83 said:

Snuff out big Rory and we are in with a chance here.

Peterhead are no mugs and will be right up their at the end of the season,but if we keep playing the way we can and have been then can't see why we can't beat them.Hopefully a big crowd again to spur on the team.

Well you managed to limit Rory to only one goal but we were still far too good for you. I hope both teams get promoted and on this showing it's looking good for Peterhead. Willie Gibson was superb today and capped off a brilliant performance with an excellent goal. As has been said it could have been double figures but I will settle for 6 any day. 

41 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

Well you managed to limit Rory to only one goal but we were still far too good for you on this showing. I hope both teams get promoted but it's looking good for Peterhead. Willie Gibson was superb today and capped off a brilliant performance with an excellent goal. As has been said it could have been double figures but I will settle for 6 any day. 

Sorted for you. 

53 minutes ago, Scorge said:

Muttered out loud that 'this could get ugly' at 3-1.

A disappointing shitshow which harked back to darker days: the decision to tinker at the back for such a crucial game went horribly wrong, and I'd really like to see how SP explains it in the Tele/Review. Lucky not to be 4-0 down by half time, our usual start-of-second-half-lurgy quickly sorted the game out. Referee had no handle on the game at all - was also surprised Dillon got away without a red.

Hopefully just a one-off but it will no doubt give Peterhead massive confidence (they were untroubled for most of the afternoon, much sharper) whilst doing massive damage to our GD. Quick bounce back needed, or I suspect PH will take control of the league and gradually get themselves out of sight.

It's just a blip, I hope.

We've bounced back from heavy defeats under SP (5-1 Annan, 3-1 Stirling, 3-0 Elgin) so I'm hopeful we'll bounce back from this.

1 hour ago, Blue-Toon said:

Well you managed to limit Rory to only one goal but we were still far too good for you. I hope both teams get promoted and on this showing it's looking good for Peterhead. Willie Gibson was superb today and capped off a brilliant performance with an excellent goal. As has been said it could have been double figures but I will settle for 6 any day. 

Today certainly proved that Peterhead are no one man team as they were very impressive throughout.
Play like that for the rest of the season and you will finish champions, however we all know how teams have ups & downs & it will be interesting to see how the rest of the season pans out.
Personally I'm hoping that both teams remain close to each other at the top for an exciting climax to the season.

Guest TOPFITTER

Not long in after stooping to eat at the Dunniken Stone, near Forfar, decent :)

Talked to some Montrose fans before the game they were quietly confident, my grand-son and I cautiously hopeful none of us expected what was to follow !

The two biggest talking points for me, Dillon's yellow most certainly should have been red, was about 15 yards away, went through MacAllister from the back he was in control and it was cynical. The offside (would have been 3-0) goal for Peterhead, I was right in line looked fine to me (I was cheering away ) I'll have to see the video to be convinced otherwise.

Gibson MOM his deliveries were spot on, and that goal was a peach (Get It Up Ye DILLON).

Best Peterhead performance for me in the League this season, that type of application, determination and drive will see them well should they make that their standard. Montrose compared to earlier this season at Balmoor were defensively nervous, midfield anonymous but still profitable up top.

Peterhead appeared to want it more their ceaseless pressing and continuous probing causing Montrose all sorts of trouble they seemed to deal with with ease earlier in the season.

It's Game On for the League Title now.

Watching Peterhead is so frustrating knowing the way they play the game. We never match up to them physically and let them push us about. The nudges and niggles after the ball has gone drives you bonkers. Did it make a difference today? No. Pressure high up the park we couldn't deal with.

On 31/12/2017 at 08:14, Gogs Grog said:

Watching Peterhead is so frustrating knowing the way they play the game. We never match up to them physically and let them push us about. The nudges and niggles after the ball has gone drives you bonkers. Did it make a difference today? No. Pressure high up the park we couldn't deal with.

Although I was not at the game, the stats for fouls 15 for Peterhead to Montrose's 9 tells its own story. In rugby, I read time and time again how Scotland have to toughen up to compete with the southern hemisphere sides' gamesmanship, as much as their skill level etc. In the Autumn tests they showed they have closed the gap by doing so.

Petrie likewise has to instil mental toughness in the team after yesterday. Being outmuscled by Peterhead must have knocked Montrose off their stride to some extent, even if it was not the main factor in determining the outcome. So coping with the "niggle" aspect of Peterhead's game definitely needs working on.

As for whether having a high foul count does pay dividends, a number of people have commented on the ref's failure to show Dillon red. If I was in two minds about a decision, I think I could not help but be influenced by my perception of to what extent it was a case of what goes around comes around. 

It may not be correct to be influenced this way but I am pretty sure psychologists and those in the know, would say human decision making, even if trying to adhere to a set of rules, is affected by such things.

That isn't necessarily to take anything away from Peterhead. For them it was a job well done. I hope for Montrose, it was a steep learning curve that leads them to tighten up their game. They will need to do so quickly, if they are not to lose to Cowdenbeath, who must be sniffing an opportunity following yesterday's result.

Absolutely vital, Montrose do not crumple like they apparently did today.

Credit to peterhead deserved winners.Peterhead gaffer been at our last couple home games and did his homework so fair play to him and the team stronger on the day and off.
Hopefully just a blip....cammy in the middle of the park is a no no for me

Due to Redman and Fotheringham being injured since the Stirling game this caused a change in formation. This simply didn't work as disrupted positions of Matty and Cammy also which lost their best attributes. Well done to Peterhead tho, strong side who took their chances well. Back to the drawing board on Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Archived