Weegie Overspill v Highland Savages

42 minutes ago, RiG said:

Whilst I think there may more twists and turns to come in the title race I would say Saints are favourites over United by a fair distance. 

The window will be the determining factor here. While it's obvious to say injuries to key players would be a blow to any team, if McGinn, Morgan, Magennis or Reilly were to pick up a knock it would have a big effect on how we play. We have cover, mostly, but Ross' actions during this window will, imo, be the difference between winning and a playoff.

We've seen United already open the chequebook and we can't compete, even with the Morgan money. If Lazlo can get United fit and playing, on paper they really should romp to the title.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

The window will be the determining factor here. While it's obvious to say injuries to key players would be a blow to any team, if McGinn, Morgan, Magennis or Reilly were to pick up a knock it would have a big effect on how we play. We have cover, mostly, but Ross' actions during this window will, imo, be the difference between winning and a playoff.

We've seen United already open the chequebook and we can't compete, even with the Morgan money. If Lazlo can get United fit and playing, on paper they really should romp to the title.

There was a good interview at half-time with Gordon Scott on St Mirren TV I would imagine its on buddie vision. Two players coming in better than we have is a big thing to say. Also those who are normally reliable sources say we are in for a big surprise. Have heard Scott Allen mentioned. 

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

There was a good interview at half-time with Gordon Scott on St Mirren TV I would imagine its on buddie vision. Two players coming in better than we have is a big thing to say. Also those who are normally reliable sources say we are in for a big surprise. Have heard Scott Allen mentioned. 

Would be a shocker and would have to be a permanent fee paying transfer. Celtic won't drag him from a one year loan deal 6 months early to loan him out to a lower level than where he is. 

I felt the win was deserved yesterday. Saints controlled the first half after a mundane start and Reilly took his goal emphatically.

You started to worry in the second half as each passing chance went a begging with Tuesday's derby still fresh in the memory. Although Inverness created some big chances I still felt we had a firm grip on the game and individual performances from McGinn, Baird and Samson in particular were key to seeing out the match. I didn't see anything wrong with the goal that was chalked off in all honesty so it should have been a lot more comfortable. 

ICT, and Robertson it pains me to say, have to take a lot of credit for their second half workrate. They upped the tempo and kept going and kept pushing right until the very last. Against Dundee United the Arabs rolled over to an extent which meant for a comfortable second half. Inverness kept themselves in the game through sheer determination but  simply lack that bit of quality that was one key difference between the sides. 

I do however take issue with Robertson's assertion that the most fervent St Mirren supporter would have to admit Inverness deserved something from the match. There have been occasions this season where I felt our opponents were desperately unlucky and more than deserved a point (the two Brechin games immediately springing to mind), but I don't think I can put yesterday's game into that category.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

I also thought Oakley was good. His battle with Davis was an excellent watch. We don't really have a guy like him, he was quick, big and strong and gave Inverness a good option. Don't know if that was a particularly good performance from him and he's normally crap, but he looked very useful on Saturday at least.

Aye Oakley's strong but he's not a finisher. Neither is Baird so effectively we're taking on the league leaders away without a goalscorer. Wondered how these chances would have gone if Austin hadn't got injured after 9 minutes. We haven't really had a chance to see what he can do yet apart from 20 mins last tuesday. Also without Donaldson and Vigurs who have been arguably our best 2 players. Vigurs has his faults but Trafford isn't yet the answer in the middle of the park. A bit like Draper Lite.

Still hopeful of ending the season somewhere around the top half if we can start scoring. Saints very solid if not up there with Hendrie's class of 2000. Ourselves, this is probably the shitiest period in our history.

I love how no-one ever mentions Harry Davis , when he is the real reason that we're stretching our lead at the top. Big Baird is reaping the benefit of playing alongside the best defender in the league. The stats back up my argument too , 5 goals conceded in Davis' 9 games , 31 conceded in the 20 games that he hasn't started !
He was the player I was happiest to see resign even though he was going to miss a large chunk at the start. Quality player, outstanding leader. Would be our capt if it wasn't for McGinn

3 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Please god no

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Aye Oakley's strong but he's not a finisher. Neither is Baird so effectively we're taking on the league leaders away without a goalscorer. Wondered how these chances would have gone if Austin hadn't got injured after 9 minutes . We haven't really had a chance to see what he can do yet apart from 20 mins last tuesday. Also without Donaldson and Vigurs who have been arguably our best 2 players. Vigurs has his faults but Trafford isn't yet the answer in the middle of the park. A bit like Draper Lite.

Still hopeful of ending the season somewhere around the top half if we can start scoring. Saints very solid if not up there with Hendrie's class of 2000. Ourselves, this is probably the shitiest period in our history.

Is Austin a goal scorer?? He scored against us on the opening day, but he can't have many more than that? 

I thought Oakley looked alright, he's certainly a handful. I've been pretty impressed by Polwarth any time I've seen him. 

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Is Austin a goal scorer?? He scored against us on the opening day, but he can't have many more than that? 

I thought Oakley looked alright, he's certainly a handful. I've been pretty impressed by Polwarth any time I've seen him. 

I feckin hope so, but we’ve only seen 29 minutes of him :lol:

i saw Oakley get 2 tap ins against Brechin last week, otherwise I don’t think he could hit a coo’s erse wi a banjo.

2 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

I feckin hope so, but we’ve only seen 29 minutes of him :lol:

i saw Oakley get 2 tap ins against Brechin last week, otherwise I don’t think he could hit a coo’s erse wi a banjo.

I just looked it up and Austin has scored 1 league goal this season. That was against us on the opening day. Sorry to be the one to break it to you.

It's tough at this level to find goal scorers. Anyone that bags 15 + goals a couple of seasons on the bounce in this league will likely get snapped up by a Premiership team. We've been really lucky that in January we managed to get Loy, then Reilly in the summer. 

I've never been that impressed with Austin (admittedly only seen him a couple of times), but he is quick and strong, and he's still young so will improve. He could turn out to be a really good singing for you.

Oakley, like John Baird, is a guy who's a decent enough striker in a defensive sense - his harrying and pressurising is very good - yet when it comes to the more attacking elements of the role, he struggles.  He's not a finisher and not strong or skilful enough to be a lone target man.  I've always thought he might do well as a number 10 as time goes on.

7 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I just looked it up and Austin has scored 1 league goal this season. That was against us on the opening day. Sorry to be the one to break it to you.

It's tough at this level to find goal scorers. Anyone that bags 15 + goals a couple of seasons on the bounce in this league will likely get snapped up by a Premiership team. We've been really lucky that in January we managed to get Loy, then Reilly in the summer. 

I've never been that impressed with Austin (admittedly only seen him a couple of times), but he is quick and strong, and he's still young so will improve. He could turn out to be a really good singing for you.

We’re the eternal optimists :lol: We always hope there’s something in the water at ICT that turns no-hopers into legends. It worked with Wyness and a few others. Despite all the warnings from everybody else Coll Donaldson is already acquiring God-like status. We’ll skite over John Baird though.

I think it's fair to say that if Austin hadn't gone off injured he would have taken both the chances squandered by Oakley and therefore we would have won 5 - 1 yesterday. Saints got lucky.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

We’re the eternal optimists :lol: We always hope there’s something in the water at ICT 

Seems fair reading this..............:lol:

37 minutes ago, RiG said:

I think it's fair to say that if Austin hadn't gone off injured he would have taken both the chances squandered by Oakley and therefore we would have won 5 - 1 yesterday. Saints got lucky.

I had the same thought about Austin. I worry about Baird more than Austin. I was glad to see him getting pinned back by Stelios yesterday as he often causes us problems.

44 minutes ago, RiG said:

Have I been whoooooooshed?

This is a piss take, right?  You're fishing.  

You guys...!

19 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

To be fair, none of us have a feckin clue who ‘King coll’ is.

To be fair the reference to a talented singer obviously went above your small minded wedgie mind. Oh well.

5 minutes ago, ThomWy said:

To be fair the reference to a talented singer obviously went above your small minded wedgie mind. Oh well.

It's hard to spot a reference when the bigger boys are pulling your pants right up into your ass crack, right enough.

Archived