Australian Open 2018

k-ton

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite Edmund winning quite comfortably he gave away 48 points in unforced errors.   His forehand is an absolute weapon.  Really pleased he got through that.  Feared that error count would really cost him, but Dimitrov was utter muck.  Edmund has a great chance against Cilic, even giving away errors like he did today, Cilic under pressure will error all over the court.

As nightmare said Nadal retiring than taking a loss is poor.    Did it to Andy years ago, and he was beaten badly in every set, then just gave up. I really think he thinks it takes the shine off any Federer win as he wasn't fully fit.  The best result for Men's tennis would be Roger losing tonight.  Berdych needs to start well and get a lead and put pressure on Federer.  Berdych can do that in patches, but does he really believe he can do that anymore?  

44 minutes ago, Loki said:

Despite Edmund winning quite comfortably he gave away 48 points in unforced errors.   His forehand is an absolute weapon.  Really pleased he got through that.  Feared that error count would really cost him, but Dimitrov was utter muck.  Edmund has a great chance against Cilic, even giving away errors like he did today, Cilic under pressure will error all over the court.

As nightmare said Nadal retiring than taking a loss is poor.    Did it to Andy years ago, and he was beaten badly in every set, then just gave up. I really think he thinks it takes the shine off any Federer win as he wasn't fully fit.  The best result for Men's tennis would be Roger losing tonight.  Berdych needs to start well and get a lead and put pressure on Federer.  Berdych can do that in patches, but does he really believe he can do that anymore?  

Cilic had about 60 unforced errors.

A commentator on the BBC text earlier, think it was Sam Smith, was praising the integrity of Nadal.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
4 hours ago, Loki said:

A commentator on the BBC text earlier, think it was Sam Smith, was praising the integrity of Nadal.

He certainly looked injured to me.

The difference is, a lot of players feel a twinge and will still finish a match out of respect to their opponent.

Nadal may well have been injured today. But he’s done this before numerous times, and it’s always at a point where the match is nearly over but not quite - where he could most likely power through it and show a bit of sportsmanship. I’d agree with the notion that he does it because he thinks it doesn’t make his loss look so bad/weakens the tournament legacy of whoever goes on to win it. The whole ‘humble Rafa’ act is a fraud.

25 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

The difference is, a lot of players feel a twinge and will still finish a match out of respect to their opponent.

Nadal may well have been injured today. But he’s done this before numerous times, and it’s always at a point where the match is nearly over but not quite - where he could most likely power through it and show a bit of sportsmanship. I’d agree with the notion that he does it because he thinks it doesn’t make his loss look so bad/weakens the tournament legacy of whoever goes on to win it. The whole ‘humble Rafa’ act is a fraud.

He was down a break in the 4th when it all started, didn't even try for a ball he'd have got back 9 times out of 10, I'm no fan of Rafa' but on this occasion he looked like he was doing more harm than good staying out on the court.

That's his 3rd retirement in 8 years.

The match wouldn't have went past 3 if the umpire hadn't given Cilic a time violation on break point that he subsequently lost, he just started firing at everything after that.

That was only the second time in his Career that he has retired from a Grand Slam match

10 hours ago, ayrmad said:

That's his 3rd retirement in 8 years.

4 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

That was only the second time in his Career that he has retired from a Grand Slam match

How many times have the other top players done the same? It certainly feels like this should be higher with Nadal - maybe it’s just that he loves giving the impression that he’s not 100% in tournaments. As if anyone ever is.

Last 15 mins just typifies Berdych career. A perennial choker. Watching a Berdych match on TV is good for one thing only. His missus

This.

Berdych is a complete bottle merchant. Not taking that 1st set was inexcusable considering he was serving for the set.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

How many times have the other top players done the same? It certainly feels like this should be higher with Nadal - maybe it’s just that he loves giving the impression that he’s not 100% in tournaments. As if anyone ever is.

Murray twice in the same time period.

Djokovic 5 times in the same time period.

Federer nil in the same time period.

He was 2 sets to 1 up when it 1st looked like he wouldn't continue(I think he'd have retired after the 6th game if he hadn't held from 0-40), on this occasion I feel such criticism is unfair.

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Aidan McHugh through to the quarter-finals of the Juniors

That's brilliant news. I think he might still have two more years at that level - just - so to get to the quarters already is pretty impressive. Think he's actually ahead of where Murray was at this stage of his career and Murray is now quite heavily involved in mentoring him too, so just maybe another Scottish grand slam winner in the future depending on how he develops in the next couple of years.

Archived