A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Sad to learn a famous Scottish football name has passed away aged only 61 years.

Adrian Sprott scored the famous goal which knocked Rangers out of the cup at Ibrox in 1987, and played for 20 years in over 600 domestic matches for Meadowbank, Hamilton and Stenhousemuir.

adriansprottgoalJan87.thumb.jpg.f9672277f5924467e4700ef410cae4cc.jpg

adriansprottJan87.jpg.352502add23fd74f9b505e8d6d24253c.jpg

That goal also brought an end to Chris Woods British record of 1196 consecutive minutes without conceding a goal.

5 hours ago, Molotov said:

I had no recollection of Robbo leaving for Newcastle and then rejoining. Jeezy peeps. £750,000.

The story goes that Newcastle signed Dave Beasant from Wimbledon that summer along with Robbo and he was used to launching the ball down the field. The two Newcastle strikers were Mirandinha and Robbo who weren't the tallest and the ball apparently sailed over their heads.

Another blink and you missed him was Roy Aitken playing for Newcastle.

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The story goes that Newcastle signed Dave Beasant from Wimbledon that summer along with Robbo and he was used to launching the ball down the field. The two Newcastle strikers were Mirandinha and Robbo who weren't the tallest and the ball apparently sailed over their heads.

I was astonished to learn that Albert Craig was Peter Beardsley's best man.

8 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You're paying for the convenience of getting there and back quickly. I went to Prague and Italy for games by bus and it wasn't pleasant and was about 2 days each way. The drunken, smelly, unhygienic arseholes I was with didn't help. And I'll remind them later today.

I spent two days travelling to Euro '92 on a double decker coach from Buchanan Bus Station to Western Sweden, via Dover, mainland Europe and another ferry from Denmark to Sweden because fans were banned from North Sea Ferries.

News of alcohol prices in Sweden meant a stop at a hypermarket in Calais, after which quite literally every unoccupied space on the bus was taken up by cans and bottles. There was so much drink on the bus that our encounter with customs officials in Halmstad made it into the Daily Record.

The bus toilet inevitably broke during the tournament and, in fact, the whole bus broke down on the way back resulting in us having to be rescued by another, far inferior, bus from a roadside in Belgium for the rest of the journey back.

It was a welcome development when budget airlines came on to the scene a few years later.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

As did Neil Simpson 

25 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

St Mirren v Kilmarnock from the Main Stand.

Appears to be 1980, but don't know if it's the game on 12th April or the 29th November one.

1.thumb.jpg.353cec168621f63ab5bb1023a5687f58.jpg2.thumb.jpg.9dc5e71e5c8644a0726fcb772d6ad523.jpg3.thumb.JPG.0a567d979ab9e449d31dbd209c0e5d82.JPG

April I would think. The sky would probably be much darker in November even at 3pm.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I remember Aitken playing for Newcastle only because he ended up signing for Saints. 

Here he is modelling what I think was our first all black away strip:

IMG_2175.webp.fa790db13589b89056ffccdd21de4613.webp

Despite pointing up we went down. 

Big Roy even got capped for Scotland while playing for Saints.

Edited by Molotov

6 minutes ago, Molotov said:

April I would think. The sky would probably be much darker in November even at 3pm.

Yes, probably. Looks like Jimmy Bone is scoring in the bottom picture and he wore 7 and scored in both of those games. Any remaining doubt, if there is any, would be settled by identifying the Kilmarnock goalkeeper because Alan McCullouch played in the April one and Alistair Wilson in November.

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Robertson only lasted there until December of his first season and played about a dozen times.

Aitken was at Newcastle for over a year and played for them more than fifty times.  He was Newcastle captain at the time he played in the 1990 World Cup for Scotland.

Robertson just never got going when he was at Newcastle.  Mirandinha was a very selfish striking partner, and the team was in freefall.  The manager who signed him got sacked and the side ultimately got relegated.

On this day…

On the 11th June 1957 the footballing world lost an icon, a ‘Wembley Wizard’, Transfer record breaker, the last man to captain Newcastle United to a Championship and to this day the most prolific Newcastle player with an 82% striker rate. 

Hughie Gallacher was born in Bellshill, North Lanarkshire on 2 February 1903.

When schooling at Bellshill Academy he was a close friend of Alex James who was born in the adjoining village of Mossend. The two went on to become the most revered Scottish footballers of their generation. 

Gallacher and James offered their services to junior league side, Bellshill Athletic. Some bright spark in their wisdom dismissed the two footballing maestros as, ’far too small’. They were though allowed to push the club hamper for away matches to and from the station. They were paid half a crown for their efforts.

Gallacher had been down the Hattonrig Pit at the age of 15, working 10-hour shifts. At 16 he left Lanarkshire junior league side Tannochside Athletic to join Hattonrigg Thistle. However fate played a part in his next move up the football ladder. As a spectator he attended to watch Bellshill Athletic play St Mirren juniors. Bellshill were a man short and Gallacher was asked to play. After hitting his side’s goal in the 1-1 draw he was asked to join the club as a player.

Willie Bell, Club Secretary for Bellshill Athletic, recalled one game against Vale of Clyde that was to symbolise Gallacher’s career. Three times Gallacher was carried off the pitch injured. Three times he returned to the pitch to score.

In December 1920, Hughie Gallacher was picked for the Scottish junior side to play against Ireland at Shawfield in Glasgow. 17 year old Gallacher’s fine header gave Scotland an equaliser with two minutes remaining in the 1-1 draw. 

‘At 5’ 5", Gallacher had neither height nor weight. However, as he would show time after time in the years ahead, the weapons that he had in his armoury were simply out of this world. Utterly fearless bravery was routine in Gallacher’s game. He had the intuition, guile and ball control of a magician. He was superb at unnerving big defenders by dropping off deep into space in front of them before turning and running menacingly with the ball. He skipped and swerved effortlessly past opponents with his dribbling runs. His goal threat was terrifying, packing ferocious and precise shooting with either foot and excellent spring making him very handy with his head despite his diminutive appearance. If that wasn’t enough, Gallacher had an astonishing ability to score ’impossible’ goals. When not scoring himself he laid on chances for team mates with incisive passes, flicks and touches. Tremendous at shielding, Gallacher’s manner of hunching over the ball made it a near impossibility to dispossess him without knocking him over risking a free kick.’

Hughie Gallacher’s time at Bellshill Athletic was short lived as his talent was unmissable. A tough, determined player whose performances saw him rise to the top of the game.

Screenshot_20230611-103957_Facebook.jpg

Peter Weir is so happy at Aberdeen beating Ipswich in the 1982 UEFA Cup he bizarrely wore a scarf for his post match interview with a sheepish looking Gordon Strachan who, one could speculate has just seen a still not happy Sir Fergie of Govan.

20230608_134219.jpg

43 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

33 years ago today, the final whistle was just blowing after this.

image.png.2cfb8ba026cbd21f244d2e4f02b70b27.png

Think it kicked off early afternoon our time, I was in second year and seem to recall having a 'dentist' appointment to get out of school an hour early, I think most schools had at least a third of pupils with dentist/doctors/vets appointments that day.

In hindsight a trip to the dentist, anaesthetic free, would have been better than sitting through this, tactical genuis Andy Roxburgh had seen their goalkeeper drop a cross in a World Cup warm up game in which, I think Wales scored from so, decided our main tactical move would be to play that fucking useless lump of wood Alan McInally up front and just blooter high balls into him all fucking afternoon. Of course the keeper was faultless and the defenders dealt with such innovative tactics with surprising ease. 

My abiding memory is of launching my wee Italia 90 digital alarm clock off the wall at full time, breaking it into bits.

3 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Think it kicked off early afternoon our time, I was in second year and seem to recall having a 'dentist' appointment to get out of school an hour early, I think most schools had at least a third of pupils with dentist/doctors/vets appointments that day.

In hindsight a trip to the dentist, anaesthetic free, would have been better than sitting through this, tactical genuis Andy Roxburgh had seen their goalkeeper drop a cross in a World Cup warm up game in which, I think Wales scored from so, decided our main tactical move would be to play that fucking useless lump of wood Alan McInally up front and just blooter high balls into him all fucking afternoon. Of course the keeper was faultless and the defenders dealt with such innovative tactics with surprising ease. 

My abiding memory is of launching my wee Italia 90 digital alarm clock off the wall at full time, breaking it into bits.

It kicked off at 5pm local time. I was sitting behind the goal where they scored.

I skipped school to watch the qualifier away to Cyprus on TV though, as did many others.

4 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

It kicked off at 5pm local time. I was sitting behind the goal where they scored.

I skipped school to watch the qualifier away to Cyprus on TV though, as did many others.

I certainly remember the latter, Richard Gough scored a 94th minute winner in a 3-2 win for Scotland and the Cypriots and, pundits in general were incredulous about the added time, ironically enough that is the norm these days and no one bats an eyelid at four or five minutes stoppage time, I vaguely recall Cyprus players being off the pitch for a good couple of minutes celebrating their goals and a lot of time wasting from them in general, one of the first times I can really recall a referee playing a lot of added time for things like this, that it benefitted Scotland so much as we qualified for that World Cup, eliminating France by a point is all the more pleasing.