A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Was there a tradition throughout Scotland of charity games involving various professions competing against each other?

From 1979, Ministers v Butchers, at Tannadice.

1.MvB1979programmecover.thumb.jpg.16477563963942f16e0c4429f1c241a1.jpg

1.MvB79inner.thumb.jpg.aec92f517cbb58f6e9adeeca63db5b64.jpg

I recall the Clergy v Police was an annual fixture at Stenhousemuir in the '60s into the '70s. 

I am glad they explained what Pubby Tuggy was

On 14/11/2023 at 13:27, Nowhereman said:

Love the story in the column next to the report about Montrose being included in the first round of the cup by mistake. Football authorities have always been a bit crap but that is an astonishing mistake.

In the end they just swapped swapped Brechin in for Montrose and put the Gable Endies into the 3rd round draw.  They didn't do the whole thing again.

There have been two occasions (at least) when non-existent teams were drawn in the first round; Airdrie Bluebell in 1880–81 and Largs in 1881–82, confused with Plains Blue Bell and Largs Athletic respectively, who were also in each draw.

There is also a mysterious tie from the 22 August 1888 Glasgow Evening Post...

Screenshot2023-11-16at14_55_27.thumb.png.eee5645aabccf797a6190a043bf789bd.png

...with Academicals changed to Wanderers, and Airdrieonians rendered as Andalusians...

4 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

and Airdrieonians rendered as Andalusians...

Years ago somebody on another forum postponed a results list from a Spanish or South American newspaper... I recall in 1920s or 1930s?... in which Airdrieonians had become Ayr Draconians.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Years ago somebody on another forum postponed a results list from a Spanish or South American newspaper... I recall in 1920s or 1930s?... in which Airdrieonians had become Ayr Draconians.

my granddad got quite in involved with family history and it became an utter mess in the 1800s when literacy wasn’t widespread and folk would say their surname and it was utter guesswork to both the scribe and the person on how that should be put down on paper.   Dozens of interpretations of what would be considered now to be easy names to spell

18 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Was there a tradition throughout Scotland of charity games involving various professions competing against each other?

From 1979, Ministers v Butchers, at Tannadice.

1.MvB1979programmecover.thumb.jpg.16477563963942f16e0c4429f1c241a1.jpg

1.MvB79inner.thumb.jpg.aec92f517cbb58f6e9adeeca63db5b64.jpg

I recall the Clergy v Police was an annual fixture at Stenhousemuir in the '60s into the '70s. 

The Minister who married my 1st wife and I is in the Minister's team.  I recognise a couple of the names in the Butcher's team as well.  Don't know No 7 The Brax Hotel though - never heard of it.

34 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The Minister who married my 1st wife and I is in the Minister's team.  I recognise a couple of the names in the Butcher's team as well.  Don't know No 7 The Brax Hotel though - never heard of it.

My dad worked with the two Jarrons on the Butchers side. From memory they were the owners of Scott Brothers.

Just now, hk blues said:

I did a bit more digging and apparently it was in Carnoustie around the golf course area. 

I had a workmate from Carnoustie and occasionally went on a pub crawl there. The Brax must have been too pan loafie for us. 

Regarding charity matches there is some thought that the St Mirren black and white home colours may have been related to an annual charity match involving bakers and chimney sweeps. The red numbers on the black possibly blood? 😂 

I believe St Mirren may have been the first to play in black and white vertical strips. 

“Throughout their history, St. Mirren’s colours have been predominantly black and white, more often than not, in the form of vertically striped shirts. However for the first six years of their existence the team played in scarlet and blue jerseys! It wasn't until the start of 1883-84 that the registered colours changed to black and white. There are several theories as to why these colours were chosen, all with some relevance to the club and Paisley.

1) The Cluniac Monks who founded Paisley Abbey and who played a major role in the development of the town wore black and white robes.

2) Paisley used to play host to an annual charity match between sweeps and bakers (black soot and white flour!)

3) The River Cart which splits into the White Cart and Black Cart travels through Paisley and its surroundings.”

https://www.stmirren.info/club-strips

“Back In the embryonic days of football, the only shirts worn were plain or hooped as technology hadn’t yet developed a way of making stripes. Saints first team colours in these days were purple and blue in the style of thin hoops replicated in the 2012 third kit for the 135th anniversary of the club, however it was discovered in 2022 through a long lost 1878 newspaper clipping, that black and white hoops were worn by Saints second XI from 1877 and the colours therefore always associated with Saints. 
In 1883, Saints first team moved to black and white hoops after a vote of club members, nobody knows for definite why these colours were chosen for St Mirren, but there has always been much speculation that it was due to the fact that the black and white cart rivers run through the town and form the River Cart as it reaches the Clyde, however it has never been satisfactorily explained.
1884 witnessed the black and white stripes for the first time on a shirt, which exactly what it was of course at that time, complete with buttons all the way down the front and at the cuff, but was accompanied by blue shorts and socks until 1901, giving the kit more of a jockey look than footballer.

At this point, Saints broke from the stripes for six years to play in a cream top, white shorts and blue socks. Thankfully, by 1907 someone on Saints board obviously developed a fashion sense, and for the very first time a black and white striped shirt with white shorts and black socks was produced, a formula that remained unbroken until 1944 when black shorts were used for the very first time, a shirt replicated by retro manufacturers Toffs.The black shorts lasted until the summer of 1950 when white shorts returned.”

https://cairterscorner.com/welcome-to-the-kit-room/the-kit-room-1877-1950/

5 hours ago, Molotov said:

Regarding charity matches there is some thought that the St Mirren black and white home colours may have been related to an annual charity match involving bakers and chimney sweeps. The red numbers on the black possibly blood? 😂 

I believe St Mirren may have been the first to play in black and white vertical strips. 

“Throughout their history, St. Mirren’s colours have been predominantly black and white, more often than not, in the form of vertically striped shirts. However for the first six years of their existence the team played in scarlet and blue jerseys! It wasn't until the start of 1883-84 that the registered colours changed to black and white. There are several theories as to why these colours were chosen, all with some relevance to the club and Paisley.

1) The Cluniac Monks who founded Paisley Abbey and who played a major role in the development of the town wore black and white robes.

2) Paisley used to play host to an annual charity match between sweeps and bakers (black soot and white flour!)

3) The River Cart which splits into the White Cart and Black Cart travels through Paisley and its surroundings.”

https://www.stmirren.info/club-strips

4) "How much is a set of coloured strips?"

"£2, 6 shillings"
    "And for black and white?"

"£1 ,10 shillings"
  "Right, Wullie, fae now on St Mirren will play in black and white..."

On 16/11/2023 at 12:05, HibeeJibee said:

Brilliant stuff.

There was a certainly a clergy game at Stark's Park in Kirkcaldy during 1950s as my grandfather (a session clerk presumably making up the numbers) could recall playing in it. I think he said their goalkeeper was minister of Kirkcaldy Abbotshall and played in top hat & tails sporting umbrella and briefcase.

Palmerston in Dumfries definitely also staged Clergy v Police as there is a programme from 1935:

image.png.c7252f05044d3e10a90121c682144e17.png

Clergy team (church & denomination from my own research with couple missing) was:

Melrose, John                                Dumfries Greyfriars
Borrowman
Rock, William                                 Kirkpatrick Irongray
Haddow, James Murray          Buittle & Kirkennan
Snow
Dollar
Smellie, John Laidlaw                Annan Erskine
Breen, Lawrence                          Dumfries St Andrews (RC)
Cockburn, Harold Andrew     Dumfries St Michaels
Scanlon, Edward                           Annan (RC)
Fairlie, Robert Paul                     Dumfries St Marys

Tremendous.

I'm guessing that the crowds must have been decent if the previous year's game enabled them to give £421 to the infirmary.