A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

At this point in 1986 they had lost in League Cup SFs and were on their way to UEFA Cup, Scottish Cup and Forfarshire Cup finals alongside finishing 3rd in top tier.

At this point in 2023 they have gone out of every cup (Scottish Cup today, League Cup in groups, Challenge Cup at QFs) and are currently sitting top of the 2nd tier.

Edited by HibeeJibee

8 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

17v5h2.jpg

The neatness is there in that in the League Cup of that season,  they beat us narrowly at Palmerston. 

It came courtesy of us having a goal inexplicably disallowed , then us missing a penalty at the end to lose 0-1.   Today, Dundee United scored a goal that was inexplicably allowed to stand following a blatant handball, then they lost due to missing two penalties.

6 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Screenshot_20231125-174808_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9dfb23ec53784d2c5cb8cc171f174042.jpg

My favourite memory of Brockville was having to borrow it as a "home" for a Skol Cup tie as Meadowbank Thistle weren't allowed to play those nasty Hearts hooligans at Meadowbank.

Thistle fans were in the paddock in front of the stand. It got to a quiet part of the match and I decided to copy one of the Hearts players and shouted "HENRY"

Henry Smith (for it was he) turned round to see who had shouted and the entire Meadowbank support shouted "F*CK OFF!" at him. 

Cue two polis who were nearby pishing themselves with laughter. 

60yrs ago and another of many generally short-lived attempts to establish a 'British Championship' saw Rangers take on Everton over 2 legs.

Having exited the European Cup at first hurdle 0-7 on aggregate to Real Madrid... while Everton also exited by the only goal to Inter Milan... it added some much-needed international flavour to both their seasons - but Rangers lost 1-3 and could only draw 1-1 at Goodison the following Monday.

It didn't stop them going on to domestic treble, though they did lose in Glasgow Cup SFs to Clyde.

44311787380_b1d1c4689d_c.jpg     6844228482_f06f115e9e_c.jpg

27nov63-1-report-DR-2-scaled.jpg     27nov63-1-report-DR-scaled.jpg

27nov63-report1-SDE-scaled.jpg

27nov63-1-report-DR-3.jpg

27nov63-1-report-DR-4.jpg

27nov63-report2-SDE-2.jpg     27nov63-1-report-DR-6.jpg

02dec63-1-SDE-scaled.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

Another Sporting Post front page from   https://www.deearchive.co.uk  This one is from 1 December 1962 and I was at the Dundee game but can’t remember much about it. Different times when full addresses of winners were printed. Miscreants adresses were also printed in full for most court appearances for minor offences.

IMG_1831.jpeg

Jerry Kerr managed Dundee United for the last time on this day in 1971 when they beat Motherwell 2-0 at Tannadice in front of 3,832. Found this picture of him and players at Carnoustie beach. The caption read 1951 but it has to be 1961. Think Stewart Fraser is the second player from the right but no idea of any of the others.

IMG_1832.jpeg

B791B043-B138-4F3F-9920-98804AB2428A.jpeg.5b53c9bc55c0868ed4972e45b3e2c251.jpeg

on this day 29 years ago, Jock Brown managed the ultimate “curse of the commentator” (twice) first proclaiming that “Nicholas has surely now, won the cup for Celtic” and then, when Mcstay stood up to take his penalty said that it was “unthinkable surely for the skipper to miss”. Raith won their first major cup trophy in their history. I remember (I think it may have been the sun newspaper) running the headline “Tic as a parrot” with the picture of Mcstay with his hands behind his head, but can’t seem to find it anywhere online. 

9 hours ago, Eednud said:

Another Sporting Post front page from   https://www.deearchive.co.uk  This one is from 1 December 1962 and I was at the Dundee game but can’t remember much about it. Different times when full addresses of winners were printed. Miscreants adresses were also printed in full for most court appearances for minor offences.

Only a few weeks later "the Big Freeze" began and little Scottish football got played between New Year and early March.

Indeed these are the totals each club managed between Jan 2nd + Mar 9th (H&A):

7 games     Hamilton
6 games
5 games     Arbroath, Berwick, Dumbarton, East Fife, St Mirren
4 games     Celtic, Dundee, Montrose, Raith, Stenhousemuir
3 games     Ayr Utd, Brechin, Clyde, Dundee Utd, Morton, Partick, Queen of the South, Third Lanark
2 games     Aberdeen, Airdrieonians, Albion Rovers, Alloa, East Stirlingshire, Falkirk, Forfar, Hearts, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Queen's Park, Stranraer
1 game       Dunfermline, Hibs, St Johnstone, Stirling Albion
none            Cowdenbeath, Rangers

note Dunfermline's sole game was a Fairs Cup playoff against Valencia in sunny Lisbon - while St Johnstone's (who hadn't played since December 22nd) was March 7th!

5 hours ago, buchan30 said:

on this day 29 years ago, Jock Brown managed the ultimate “curse of the commentator” (twice) first proclaiming that “Nicholas has surely now, won the cup for Celtic” and then, when Mcstay stood up to take his penalty said that it was “unthinkable surely for the skipper to miss”. Raith won their first major cup trophy in their history. I remember (I think it may have been the sun newspaper) running the headline “Tic as a parrot” with the picture of Mcstay with his hands behind his head, but can’t seem to find it anywhere online. 

I watched it in the student halls in Aberdeen. Needless to say the room was full of temporary Raith fans. It got to the penalty shootout and the wee fat Celtic fan who had been watching said "Aw naw, McStay. I cannae watch this penalty". He left the room and when the big cheer went up he stuck his head round the door and said "I take it McStay missed then..." 

15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

note Dunfermline's sole game was a Fairs Cup playoff against Valencia in sunny Lisbon 

Didn’t realise we played that game having not played in a while.   Between winning the home leg 6-2 to force the play-off on the 19th of December(another cold night which Valencia apparently didn’t fancy) we only only played Celtic on Boxing Day before playing that play-off 7th February.

Edited by parsforlife

46 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Didn’t realise we played that game having not played in a while.   Between winning the home leg 6-2 to force the play-off on the 19th of December(another cold night which Valencia apparently didn’t fancy) we only only played Celtic on Boxing Day before playing that play-off 7th February.

Dundee also did European Cup QF 1st leg at Anderlecht on Wed 6th Mar with just 1 game under belts since mid-Jan (a spanking of Montrose 8-0 on Mon 4th Feb) but won 4-1 in Brussels.

Hibs faced Valencia's in QF the week after - only occasion Scottish clubs have ever drawn each other in Europe btw - with draw v Third Lanark on Saturday prior being first game in 6 weeks. Valencia won 5-0...

Edited by HibeeJibee

6 hours ago, buchan30 said:

I worked beside a Rovers fan who years later met Paul McStay at a Football event. 

"Paul, you made the greatest day of my life!" McStay asked which Celtic victory he meant, but genuinly laughed out loud when reminded about his penalty miss. "I'd actually forgotten all about that" he said.

I guess in amongst a pile of trophies one loss doesn't mean much - while to the rest of us a Major Trophy is always something really special 😀

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Only a few weeks later "the Big Freeze" began and little Scottish football got played between New Year and early March.

Indeed these are the totals each club managed between Jan 2nd + Mar 9th (H&A):

7 games     Hamilton
6 games
5 games     Arbroath, Berwick, Dumbarton, East Fife, St Mirren
4 games     Celtic, Dundee, Montrose, Raith, Stenhousemuir
3 games     Ayr Utd, Brechin, Clyde, Dundee Utd, Morton, Partick, Queen of the South, Third Lanark
2 games     Aberdeen, Airdrieonians, Albion Rovers, Alloa, East Stirlingshire, Falkirk, Forfar, Hearts, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Queen's Park, Stranraer
1 game       Dunfermline, Hibs, St Johnstone, Stirling Albion
none            Cowdenbeath, Rangers

note Dunfermline's sole game was a Fairs Cup playoff against Valencia in sunny Lisbon - while St Johnstone's (who hadn't played since December 22nd) was March 7th!

Hamilton's "all weather" pitch paying dividends as far back as 1963, I'm surprised other clubs didn't embrace the idea much sooner..............