A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

22 hours ago, Eednud said:

It was the 90’s before it became common for Australian players to move overseas. Nowadays home based players are the exception, in the squad of 23 for the October friendlies only 3 were home based.

I remember getting a Ned Zelic Dortmund sticker in some 90's Panini packet (I think I bought them along with a bottle of vodka at the corner shop whilst underaged). Some career he had: Australia, Germany, England, France, Japan, Austria, Netherlands, Georgia.

Would probably make a great interview. If nobody's started a podcast interviewing 90's journeymen footballers then they definitely should.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

I remember getting a Ned Zelic Dortmund sticker in some 90's Panini packet (I think I bought them along with a bottle of vodka at the corner shop whilst underaged). Some career he had: Australia, Germany, England, France, Japan, Austria, Netherlands, Georgia.

Would probably make a great interview. If nobody's started a podcast interviewing 90's journeymen footballers then they definitely should.

Here he is scoring both goals against the Netherlands in Utrecht in the 2nd leg of a 1992 Olympic Games qualifier. Game ended 2-2 and Australia qualified for Barcelona on away goals as it was 1-1 in Sydney a week earlier.

As we're now into the 'hectic' league fixture category, here's an advert to slide into the bulging 'Players are mollycoddled nowadays' file: Rangers' new year fixtures at the turn of last century featured  an old firm derby, league clash and challenge match against an English team on successive days. If you were wondering how the long-suffering fan might afford to go to all these games, the sixpence standard admission translates to around £2.50 today. Ladies went free too.

rangers new year.png

Edited by Mr Heliums

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

As we're now into the 'hectic' league fixture category, here's an advert to slide into the bulging 'Players are mollycoddled nowadays' file: Rangers' new year fixtures at the turn of last century featured  an old firm derby, league clash and challenge match against an English team on successive days. If you were wondering how the long-suffering fan might afford to go to all these games, the sixpence standard admission translates to around £2.50 today. Ladies went free too.

Plus the previous week Celtic, Hibs and St Bernards all played league games on Saturday 23rd December - then travelled to England for Monday friendlies on Christmas Day... Hibs then played another on Boxing Day.

Note also from your cutting that Rangers v Hibs on Tuesday 2nd January was an Inter City League clash... another modern fans myth and gripe is "too many games" and "playing each other too many times". This has occurred through most of Scottish football history: it just happened in different competitions. Hearts and Hibs faced OF on 4 occasions in the league in 1899-00: 2 in SFL and 2 in ICL. Indeed the Edinburgh pair played 38 league games... but across 3 different leagues:

met each other 6 times in league games
met Rangers, Celtic, St Bernards, Third Lanark, Dundee each 4 times in league games
met Clyde, Queen's Park, Leith, Kilmarnock, Raith, St Mirren each twice in league games
= 38 games against 13 opponents (compared to 38 against 11 nowadays)

There were 8 competitive Old Firm derbies* and incredible 11 competitive Edinburgh derbies** :o.

*2 in SFL, 2 in ICL, Scottish Cup SF + replay, Glasgow Cup Final, Glasgow Charity Cup Final
**2 in SFL, 2 in ICL, 2 in East League, Scottish Cup R2 + replay, East of Scotland Shield Final, Rosebery Charity Cup Final + replay

Edited by HibeeJibee

On this day in 1964 Dundee played their second and last game in the European Cup Winners’ Cup losing 1-2 to Real Zaragoza after drawing the first leg 2-2 at Dens. Shug Robertson opened the scoring in the 18th minute but two goals from Carlos Lapetra in the 40th and 42nd minutes saw Zaragoza through. This was a Second Round tie after Dundee received a bye in the first round. Zaragoza went out in the Semi Final to eventual winners West Ham United after knocking out Cardiff City in the Quarter Final. The picture is from https://www.deearchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=2788 Back row: Bobby Cox, Andy Penman, Alex Stuart, Ally Donaldson, George Ryden, Alan Cousin. Front row: Steve Murray, Kenny Cameron, Alex Hamilton, Doug Houston, Hugh Robertson. 

IMG_1841.jpeg

Reminicent of a Velázquez painting or one by his fellow countryman Goya, here is Billy Bremner reclining in May 1972, perhaps after the centenary Final at Wembley where Leeds defeated Arsenal thanks to a thunderous header from 15 yards by Allan Clarke.

SleepingBilly1972.thumb.JPG.8bb6585ab55312d8aeab0ea273fdd1a7.JPG

Looks like a crumpled Embassy packet in the foreground left, while an ashtray lurks beside Billy's bed. Details like these make this image a true work of art.

22 hours ago, Eednud said:

On this day in 1964 Dundee played their second and last game in the European Cup Winners’ Cup losing 1-2 to Real Zaragoza after drawing the first leg 2-2 at Dens. Shug Robertson opened the scoring in the 18th minute but two goals from Carlos Lapetra in the 40th and 42nd minutes saw Zaragoza through. This was a Second Round tie after Dundee received a bye in the first round. Zaragoza went out in the Semi Final to eventual winners West Ham United after knocking out Cardiff City in the Quarter Final. The picture is from https://www.deearchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=2788 Back row: Bobby Cox, Andy Penman, Alex Stuart, Ally Donaldson, George Ryden, Alan Cousin. Front row: Steve Murray, Kenny Cameron, Alex Hamilton, Doug Houston, Hugh Robertson. 

IMG_1841.jpeg

I had no idea that Steve Murray was in Dundee's first team in 1964

On 04/12/2023 at 17:22, Andy_K_97 said:

The referee looks like a particularly angry Vic Reeves character who didn't make the cut to actually appear in any sketches. In fact, everyone in this photo looks as if they're about to deck the photographer.

It's the look of abject disappointment from the linesman just behind the Aussie captain that does it for me.  The look you get just after your ma's told your dad what you got up to at school today! 😄

On 04/12/2023 at 19:16, Dirty Sanchez said:

I was an autograph hunting kid after the game below where, for historical purposes, I was privileged to witness a iconic figure like Jim McLean going absolutely off his head in the dressing room, first hand.

You could hear, and even see, much of what was going on in the dressing room from the narrow lane behind the Main Stand.

McLean was going crazy, and I remember someone becoming his focus by making the mistake of answering him back to point out that they were angry.

"YOU'RE ANGRY? YOU'RE ANGRY? EVERYBODY'S FUCKIN' ANGRY."

Not sure who it was, but a torn faced Hamish McAlpine completely blanked the autograph hunters shortly afterwards, so it might have been him.

Interesting to see the reporter thought that two minutes of stoppage time was a lot, although the two dodgy handball penalties were more in line with the modern game.

Capture.JPG.533860d58ca26726425d2f7e588d0beb.JPG

From the Feb 77 until Feb 87 we had some absolutely amazing games against United which made the May 1987 Scottish cup final such an outlier.

One of the worst games of football between the sides but remains one match between the sides that I will remember until the day I die. 

The 1977 SC 4-1 game was magical.

Sunderland played their first home game under floodlights on this day in 1952 defeating Dundee 5-3 in front of 34,352.

A report from The Courier  The scene was spectacular with Sunderland in their luminous cerise shirts and black pants and Dundee in their blue and.white quartered shirts and white pants.   https://www.deearchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=5511

George Aitken was the Sunderland right half. He was a Scottish cap and played for East Fife and Third Lanark before moving to Sunderland. A young Billy Bingham was on the right wing.
https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2022/12/10/23501956/on-this-day-10-december-1952-roker-becomes-the-stadium-of-light

IMG_1842.jpeg

1 hour ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Baillie Denny proud that Dumbarton are not clowns...

(Dumbarton Herald, 5 December 1888)

I recently happened upon Dumbarton's fixturelist issued the following year for 1889-90. This was the last season before the Scottish League began so the last hurrah of clubs having to arrange a full program of friendlies. (Although with only 18-22 league games until the supplementary leagues began in mid-1890s there were still a few years when friendlies continued to occupy a fair bit of the calendar). It was a strong schedule:

image.thumb.png.9d1303c6e34082d3d90bbcc3855c9e69.png

August 17th was filled with a visit to open Leith Athletic's new ground Bank Park... September 7th + 28th were Scottish Cup R1 + R2... November 16th was main round of Dunbartonshire Cup. Various replays/subsequent rounds/etc. kyboshed several friendlies, while others ended-up with different opponents.

Dumbarton ultimately toured Forfarshire and Fife over New Year losing 7-0 at Forfar Athletic on New Year's Day, winning 4-1 at Our Boys in Dundee on Thursday 2nd, 8-3 at Arbroath on Friday 3rd and 8-0 at Dunfermline Athletic on Saturday 4th:

1889–90 Dumbarton F.C. season - Wikipedia

Edited by HibeeJibee