A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

When Falkirk first got promoted to the Premier Division in 1986, I can genuinely recall 13 year old me's main reasons for joy were, in order:

1. Getting to play in the Tennent's Sixes

2. Featuring in the Panini sticker album.

3. Getting to play diddies like Rangers Celtic and Aberdeen. 

3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

It was the 10 teams who were in the Premier at the time.*

Celtic didn't play for some reason, so Airdrie were invited in their place to make up the 10. I presume they were top of the 1st when Celtic declined, so got 1st invite.

*Yes, Dumbarton were actually in the Premier in season 84/85, believe it or not.

And Sons were in it again the following season when we beat Manchester City 4-0!

Edited by Nowhereman

8 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Was it invitational? Did some teams decide not to take part for some reason?

Rangers pulled out one year but I can't remember why. They were replaced by Nottingham Forest who might have been English Sixes Champions. 

A certain Capital football team who hadn't won anything for years used to add The Tennent's Sixes as an honour won in their list of honours... (Clue: it wasn't the Hibees)

27 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Rangers pulled out one year but I can't remember why. They were replaced by Nottingham Forest who might have been English Sixes Champions. 

A certain Capital football team who hadn't won anything for years used to add The Tennent's Sixes as an honour won in their list of honours... (Clue: it wasn't the Hibees)

We should have a lovely big red T above the badge on the shirt.

On 29/12/2023 at 20:12, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Didn't Ipswich turn over Fulham at Portman Road a couple of days later ?

Yes, my cousin, a Fulham fan, told me he met Johnny Haynes, the Fulham Captain, years later who told him that Fulham went on the Piss in the days between the games. 

On 29/12/2023 at 22:11, HibeeJibee said:

That's correct having crashed 10-1 they promptly won the return 48hrs later 4-2... we also find West Ham having crashed 8-2 at home to Blackburn bouncing back by winning 3-1, and Burnley having won 6-1 against Manchester United on the Thursday then lost 5-1 on the Saturday, while Sheffield Wednesday 3-0 Bolton was followed by Bolton 3-0 Sheffield Wednesday :lol:. Mad couple of days.
image.png.0d3451075c3907caae4584c7115b4923.png     image.png.994090be84126443437046ebbbee6b12.png

Stoke v Liverpool was postponed and not played until late April when appropriately the Potters redeemed their 6-1 defeat at Christmas by winning 3-1.

Mighty Morecambe were sadly only good enough to be ambling their way to mid-table in Lancashire Combination in those days.

George Best had been allowed home for the Christmas Holidays, but after the Burnley defeat, he was called back for   the return fixture. 

He scored his first goal for the club. 

11 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Was it invitational? Did some teams decide not to take part for some reason?

1984     3 groups of 3     Aberdeen did not participate
1985     2 groups of 5     Celtic did not participate / Airdrieonians were invited
1986     2 groups of 5     Celtic + Rangers did not participate / Dumbarton + Manchester City were invited
1987     4 groups of 3
1988     4 groups of 3     Rangers did not participate / Nottingham Forest were invited
1989     2 groups of 5
1990     2 groups of 5
1991     2 groups of 5     Rangers did not participate / Airdrieonians were invited
1992     2 groups of 5     Aberdeen + Rangers did not participate
1993     2 groups of 5     Dundee + Rangers did not participate

On 06/01/2024 at 13:10, Flybhoy said:

Probably in a minority of one here but Scotland should bring back these iconic shorts for the Euros in Germany, much maligned at the time (I had both strips as a ten years old, the away shorts, dark blue with a yellow band were quite something) but kind of retro trendy these days. 

Roy Aitken looks dashing in them before this friendly against Brazil in the 1987 Rous Cup, a match we lost 2-0 in a triangular tournament with them and England, drawing 0-0 at Hampden with our southern neighbours to finish bottom of the group.

From memory the following year they invited Chile to join in place of Brazil which resulted in a record low Hampden crowd for an international, less than 10,000.

FB_IMG_1704545013546.jpg

Game was live on the BBC IIRC.

Wasn't a great Brazil team, their star man was Mirandinha, who went on to sign for Newcastle United later that year, becoming the first Brazilian to play for an English club.

mirandinha-of-brazil-during-the-scotland

Referenced on Off The Ball yesterday, Jimmy Johnstone and Tommy Gemmell celebrate following a 0-0 draw in Prague against Dukla that saw Celtic safely through to the 1967 European Cup final.

celtic-fc-v-dukla-prague-european-cup-se

Do you agree with Tam Cowan that young Tommy is a ringer for Liam Neeson?

On 07/01/2024 at 10:48, Boghead ranter said:

*Yes, Dumbarton were actually in the Premier in season 84/85, believe it or not.

Which was really exciting for me as the Panini sticker was the first glimpse I had of the Dumbarton badge.

Meanwhile, I found this quite interesting, from a sociologial perspective.  Dumfries & Galloway Standard, 1 September 1897:

Dumfries_and_Galloway_Standard_and_Advertiser_Wed__Sep_1__1897_.thumb.jpg.d3cb1573c86be2f25385b8edc48589f4.jpg

The two MPs named were both Conservative, and Lord Herries was the Lord-Lieutenant of Kirkcudbrightshire at the time.  I can see that the Tories would be smiling on plans to keep the plebs occupied of a Saturday, but such a set of aristocratic backing for an Irish-origin club is a bit surprising; maybe the Irish in Dumfries were Unionists?  Or, given there was also a Gladstonians FC who had only recently tapped out, it was a cunning attempt to squish Liberalism?   Maxwelltown Volunteers would soon start up as a replacement for the 5th KRV.

19 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Referenced on Off The Ball yesterday, Jimmy Johnstone and Tommy Gemmell celebrate following a 0-0 draw in Prague against Dukla that saw Celtic safely through to the 1967 European Cup final.

celtic-fc-v-dukla-prague-european-cup-se

Do you agree with Tam Cowan that young Tommy is a ringer for Liam Neeson?

No.  The correct answer is Danny Kaye.  Jimmy Johnstone, however, does appear to resemble a loveable little puppet that Roger DeCourcy decided not to use in his act.

April 1891, the Northern League is setup, meaning Arbroath will play league games for the first time.

image.jpeg.c49c0bb521cae3babfb946c7773b19a0.jpeg

Dundee Our Boys badge, 1891

image.jpeg.1cf022772d1dca9b2fa725bbb8431bf1.jpeg

Alex Keillor and George Bowman of Montrose represent Scotland in 1892 - the only two Montrose players to do so:

image.jpeg.ce73a961ed9f8926ee89fe2c6a53ee12.jpeg

A poem written in the local paper prior to a cup final played in 1892.

image.jpeg.13829a356783466ba8da8a10a22e2fac.jpeg

1893-94 season record - a good year for the Lichties!

image.jpeg.14c88417f0c5204593a6d810e5d61160.jpeg

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Dundee Our Boys badge, 1891

image.jpeg.1cf022772d1dca9b2fa725bbb8431bf1.jpeg

An example of the prizes "of trifling value" clubs were allowed to dish out to strict amateurs for competition wins.

This was the third of four consecutive Forfarshire Cup final defeats for East End - they would finally win it for the first time in 1894, but had to merge with Our Boys in order to do so...

I have a medal which is similar to that. Was won by my great great uncle Dickie Boyle. Played for Dumbarton, Everton and Dundee in 1890s/early 1900s. I’ve never been able to identify the medal and if anyone has any idea what it is I’d be grateful for any commentsD6DFE8A4-2CC4-4BAC-BB77-0A12162ACF7B.thumb.jpeg.ff0e4c9281efc4f150cd6a98aa237d69.jpeg

Edited by Nowhereman

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

I have a medal which is similar to that. Was won by my great great uncle Dickie Boyle. Played for Dumbarton, Everton and Dundee in late 1890s/early 1900s. I’ve never been able to identify the medal and if anyone has any idea what it is I’d be grateful for any comments

Coronet at top signifies a local authority arms IIRC but it doesn't seem to be those of Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Dundee, Forfarshire etc.*; indeed it looks quite generic. If uninscribed maybe some "badge competition" (i.e. 'friendly tournament')/5-aside contest/etc.

*that said: Dumbarton also won the important Scottish League Charity Cup in 1890-91, and the Greenock Charity Cup in 1889-90 and 1890-91, during period your ancestor was playing there - while Dundee won Dewar Shield (the Cup-Winners' Cup of Aberdeenshire, Forfarshire, Perthshire & Stirlingshire) in 1902-03 and 1904-05