A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 17/04/2024 at 13:34, Eednud said:

This is from a 1950 programme of a game between Western Australia and an Australian XI on their return from a Southern African tour. The WA had a quite a few Scots in their squad.

My Dad played in Perth WA after emigrating. Played for the WA State Team a few times, most notably against a touring Wolves team in 1972. Will dig out the programme and check for other Scots.

53411545215_ee4fe09bc7_o (1).jpg

21 minutes ago, Dylangt7 said:

My Dad played in Perth WA after emigrating. Played for the WA State Team a few times, most notably against a touring Wolves team in 1972. Will dig out the programme and check for other Scots.

Scottish international Jim McCalliog might have been in the Wolves side. Dundee toured the same year but didn’t travel to WA but they did on their 1978 tour. Aberdeen played WA in 1974.

19 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Soccer News, a Melbourne weekly, about Dundee’s 1972 Australian tour.

IMG_2011.jpeg

It'll be a right while before you see a headline "The Rangers like Dundee"...

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I was at Dens that night and the Buddies were absolutely outstanding. To be fair they had been the best team in the league by far all season. It was a shame the game was played midweek as the travelling support for a team about to clinch the league title was pretty small. They made themselves heard though.

On 16/04/2024 at 15:06, Salvo Montalbano said:

Whatever happened to Craig Patterson? I thought he was one of the more calm and  measured Sportsound pundits. Too old I guess now? 

There was an interview with him a few years back and the suggestion was that sometime around 2015/2016 he just stopped getting asked.

I liked him too. Rob MacLean, David Currie, Pat Nevin and Craig Patterson. I liked that era of Sportscene tbqh. 

More from Dundee’s 1978 Australian tour. The picture at the bottom of the 2nd page is of George Campbell from Caol near Fort William. He was who was playing his first season for South Melbourne Hellas having transferred from Aberdeen earlier that year. He was with the Dons from 1972-1978. Jim Hermiston mentioned in the Queensland v Dundee report is another ex Dons and played in the 1969/70 Scottish Cup winning team. 

IMG_2012.png

IMG_2013.jpeg

IMG_2015.jpeg

Graham Honeyman played for East Fife and had a 2 or 3 games for Dundee United. He played for West Adelaide Hellas in the old NSL and was voted NSL Player of the Year in 1985. The picture is him in action for East Fife against St Johnstone in 1971.

IMG_2016.jpeg

IMG_2023.jpeg

More Motherwell connections Down Under. Dixie Deans and Jumbo Muir with Adelaide City in 1978. This was an away game at Footscray JUST that City won 1-0.  Dixie Deans scored 30 goals in 3 seasons with City. Jim Muir played 5 times for Australia in 1980 (England, Northern Ireland 3, Mexico). The same pen picture of Jim Muir was used in programmes for all the games).

IMG_2019.jpeg

IMG_2024.jpeg

Jim Hermiston, Brisbane Lions and George Campbell, SM Hellas in action in 1978. Jim Hermiston was voted NSL Player of the Year in 1980. He was a NSL Cup winner with Brisbane City in 1977 and again with Brisbane Lions in 1981.

IMG_2022.jpeg

On 16/04/2024 at 10:36, paul wright scores said:

What do you mean by cut out bit of the main stand?

The stand Squirrelhumper is referring to is the East Stand, which is opposite the main stand. 

No I was talking about Frank Beattie.

7 hours ago, Eednud said:

More Motherwell connections Down Under. Dixie Deans and Jumbo Muir with Adelaide City in 1978. This was an away game at Footscray JUST that City won 1-0.  Dixie Deans scored 30 goals in 3 seasons with City. Jim Muir played 5 times for Australia in 1980 (England, Northern Ireland 3, Mexico). The same pen picture of Jim Muir was used in programmes for all the games).

IMG_2019.jpeg

IMG_2024.jpeg

Sons legend also.

image.thumb.png.257b9f75bfb37a49af08a37c2c39befe.png

On 20/04/2024 at 01:27, Eednud said:

More from Dundee’s 1978 Australian tour. The picture at the bottom of the 2nd page is of George Campbell from Caol near Fort William. He was who was playing his first season for South Melbourne Hellas having transferred from Aberdeen earlier that year. He was with the Dons from 1972-1978. Jim Hermiston mentioned in the Queensland v Dundee report is another ex Dons and played in the 1969/70 Scottish Cup winning team. 

IMG_2012.png

IMG_2013.jpeg

IMG_2015.jpeg

Simlam boots, I don't remember them. It was Adidas or you were ostracised.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

On 20/04/2024 at 04:17, Squirrelhumper said:

No I was talking about Frank Beattie.

☝️I realise that now.  

I thought when you mentioned the underpass leading to the Rugby Road gates it was the pass under the East Stand.

Edited by paul wright scores
Predictive text error

Did you know that Scotland are unbeaten in games played on 22 April? Did you know Scotland has never won a game on 22 April? 
P2 W0 D2 L0 F1 : A1

1970 0-0 v Wales at Hampden - Home International (30,379). Picture is Welsh keeper Tony Millington turning the ball away. 

1998 1-1 v Finland at Easter Road - Friendly (14,315) Darren Jackson equalised in 15th minute after Jonatan Johansson put Finland ahead after 10 mins.

IMG_2028.jpeg

On 20/04/2024 at 02:01, Eednud said:

IMG_2019.jpeg

IMG_2024.jpeg

I love that "has added considerable toughness to the defence". 

I suspect they mean "thug".