A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

7 hours ago, Northboy said:

Would this have been a midweek match? My memories of Home Internationals was that Scotland usually starter with Wales on first weekend, NI midweek then England the last weekend.

We finished with England, but the order of the other two varied.  

For instance, in 81 I think, Wales hammered England 4-1 on the first Saturday.

And the famous Willie Donachie own goal came against Wales in midweek.

28 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Does anyone know why it was played at Hampden twice in succession in 84 and 85?

There was a shitload of crowd trouble towards end of 1985 season in England, huge riots at Birmingham v Leeds and Luton v Millwall amongst others, I vaguely remember this being a factor, FA feared loads of right wing groups getting together in London so it was switched to Hampden at just a few weeks notice. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

81 was definitely 3pm on Saturday, as was 85, but it took place at Hampden.

As others have said too, I have very little recollection of the 83 match.  I watched some highlights there and even then, few bells were rung.

Does anyone know why it was played at Hampden twice in succession in 84 and 85?

I was at the 83 game and it was definitely a Wednesday night. We decided to go at the last minute and got the overnight Citylink bus from Dundee on the Tuesday. Went up to Wembley that morning and bought tickets without any bother for the home end. There was a lot of trouble that night in our end with fights breaking out constantly throughout the game. We lost 2-0

32 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

There was a shitload of crowd trouble towards end of 1985 season in England, huge riots at Birmingham v Leeds and Luton v Millwall amongst others, I vaguely remember this being a factor, FA feared loads of right wing groups getting together in London so it was switched to Hampden at just a few weeks notice. 

Ah, was that the reason?  That makes sense. 

I remember the events and of course Heysel came along too, at what must have been about the same time as the fixture took place.  The decision must have already been made by then though. 

Unrelated to hooliganism of course, but the Bradford fire also happened around then.  One Hell of a period when you look back.

36 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

1985 was also the first season of the Rous Cup which Scotland won.

3 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

It was - I was there, my first visit to Wembley

Same here...

45 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

And the famous Willie Donachie own goal came against Wales in midweek.

Aw please - my memory banks had just about erased that :(

8 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

Ally mccloud

Front right I take it?

Was it this thread that had the picture of his playing days, when he seemed to have ridiculously long arms?

He scored for our reserves at the age of 60.  It was when he was reunited with Willie Harkness as our manager.  The results brought back memories of Argentina too.

12 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

Andy roxburgh

Front row, third from the right.

What year was that?  He looks much like he did when Scotland manager, but the picture looks quite early.    I'm guessing it's mid 70s, but I didn't know they wore hoops then.

The haircuts look more 60s ish, as does the low v neck.

Actually, ignore me as I talk to myself.  I see it was the 60s he played for Thistle.  I had in my head that it was much later.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Front row, third from the right.

What year was that?  He looks much like he did when Scotland manager, but the picture looks quite early.    I'm guessing it's mid 70s, but I didn't know they wore hoops then.

The haircuts look more 60s ish, as does the low v neck.

Actually, ignore me as I talk to myself.  I see it was the 60s he played for Thistle.  I had in my head that it was much later.

There's a Scottish internationalist in that picture. Didn't get capped while at Thistle. Do you know who it is?