A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

The Courier produced an interesting article today showcasing Steve Finnan's forthcoming books, but I'm seeing a few errors on the captions for the pictures, in this case of Tannadice.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/2703900/tannadice-dundee-united-unseen-pictures-book/

One of the photographs, v Juventus, I doubt is even United or Tannadice.

However, this one, captioned "Walter Smith is spoken to by the referee during a game against Celtic at a snow-covered Tannadice in 1973", is Parkhead, with the sadly gone United wing back being spoken to by Eddie Pringle. The other United players are Tommy 'Spike' Traynor and Pat Gardner.

232797524_WSmith-1973.jpg.c3b520bc0fcf692aefeb010fd2208177.jpg

Walter's later managerial partner Archie Knox scored the last minute equaliser in a 3-3 draw, which I watched.

9 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

You're an absolute mine of information! :thumsup2

I thought I knew a fair bit about football in general (primarily in the UK), but you're in a different league.

Fascinating stuff.

It occurs to me that Billy Steel went on to play for Great Britain again later that season: the famous 'Match of the Century' at Hampden on Saturday 10th May 1947. It finished Great Britain 6-1 Rest of Europe in front of 137,000 and he scored. Then got sold to Derby County for a world record fee.

1947051011.jpg     utils-1.jpg

DgTaYIDX0AA1qTS.jpg

7 hours ago, Toby said:

Good to think that Luxembourg put 12 past the USA and Belgium 18, yet only four years later, the States managed to beat England at the World Cup.

In their defence I suspect they were limited to players serving in or visiting Europe for this 1946 tournament!

7 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Morton issued this programme for their Summer Cup tie with Third Lanark in 1964 (Morton only got invited because East Stirlingshire withdrew - top flight clubs only in the Summer Cup - Celtic & Rangers didn't participate)

Slight aside, but - until the events of the last 18 months - that competition is also the last time a major Scottish tournament was delayed by a health emergency AFAIA.

Final stage between Aberdeen & Hibs was held-over to early the following season due to the Aberdeen typhoid epidemic. That tin of Argentine corned beef had a lot to answer for...

summercup_header-1024x576.jpg

19 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It occurs to me that Billy Steel went on to play for Great Britain again later that season: the famous 'Match of the Century' at Hampden on Saturday 10th May 1947. It finished Great Britain 6-1 Rest of Europe in front of 137,000 and he scored. Then got sold to Derby County for a world record fee.

In their defence I suspect they were limited to players serving in or visiting Europe for this 1946 tournament!

I knew about that game

19 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Slight aside, but - until the events of the last 18 months - that competition is also the last time a major Scottish tournament was delayed by a health emergency AFAIA.

Final stage between Aberdeen & Hibs was held-over to early the following season due to the Aberdeen typhoid epidemic. That tin of Argentine corned beef had a lot to answer for...

summercup_header-1024x576.jpg

I was at the play off final - the first of many final disappointments concerning the Dons...

On 30/10/2021 at 03:31, Sergeant Wilson said:

I decided to continue my tradition of swapping shirts with opposition supporters that day. Great idea until I got separated from my pals and was wandering about outside Hampden as a lone "England supporter". An eventful passage of time. I was never so glad to see them and borrow a jumper.

An Airdrie fan in an England top? Shum mishtake shurely.

28 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I remember this one.

38755.jpg

I don't remember that game in any way but was puzzled initially about the "six" as with my poor eyesight I could not read the bit in white, and had forgotten that Luxembourg was one of the original and it's so small on  the map . I had to check wiki to get the score and reasons for the game. No spoilers. Interesting programme indeed.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I don't remember that game in any way but was puzzled initially about the "six" as with my poor eyesight I could not read the bit in white, and had forgotten that Luxembourg was one of the original and it's so small on  the map . I had to check wiki to get the score and reasons for the game. No spoilers. Interesting programme indeed.

My memory wasn't that accurate. I hadn't remembered any Danish involvement, I thought it was a sort of British Isles team. I distinctly remember watching it on my Grandpa's black and white telly. We must've been visiting for New Year.

20 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

My memory wasn't that accurate. I hadn't remembered any Danish involvement, I thought it was a sort of British Isles team. I distinctly remember watching it on my Grandpa's black and white telly. We must've been visiting for New Year.

Neither was mine but I was still living in parental house ( and contributing as I was working at last) and we might have had a colour TV. I have no recollections of the game. It is interesting about the British Isles bit as I think the cover  map does not show  N.I. ?  It appears to have been linked to the three's application to join the EEC.

7 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Neither was mine but I was still living in parental house ( and contributing as I was working at last) and we might have had a colour TV. I have no recollections of the game. It is interesting about the British Isles bit as I think the cover  map does not show  N.I. ?  It appears to have been linked to the three's application to join the EEC.

Our colour telly got delivered on the opening day of the 1974 world cup. It was especially exciting as I got the old black and white for my room.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was at the play off final - the first of many final disappointments concerning the Dons...

The first match that I know that I definitely attended at Pittodrie. We were in the Main Stand so that my dad could get a drink at half time. There was a bar in the stand.

2 hours ago, Toby said:

Don’t piss on my chips.

Fries, surely.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I remember this one.

38755.jpg

Cracker.

If we're going down the 'supranational matches' route here are 6 more obscure examples of mine; all had Scottish or Scottish-based players involved.

Guess the occasions:

295307197_img371obscured.thumb.jpg.1b8ea2a4703b9c8e31a41e8410c76a3b.jpg

1924839085_img366obscured.thumb.jpg.eec0bd873d4697b9e34fca4392ab4ca9.jpg

487676775_img367obscured.thumb.jpg.379715a823cbbc485a5769ea865f4680.jpg

img368.thumb.jpg.e9c9bc0d7e75285b1a344008e13c9018.jpg

img369.thumb.jpg.c528c4257f03f265a7459255cc1eb98e.jpg

1192820283_img370obscured.thumb.jpg.406f6f15fb82d26d7602aa93c1c0ab66.jpg

3 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Luxembourg didn't actually have any player involved, which seems harsh.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Peter Lorimer + Colin Stein played.

Henning Jensen scored 1st - Stein 2nd - as it ended (slightly confusingly): The Three 2-0 The Six.

Edited by HibeeJibee

23 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Remember that time a Greenock Morton player scored a hat-trick in the Final of the European Championship?

Me neither but it happened 75 years ago today... the place: Berlin... the man: Billy Steel.

Billy_Steel_1949.jpg

Sunday 3rd November 1946 - kickoff 2:40pm
Allied Nations European Championship

Great Britain 6-3 Czechoslovakia
at the Olympic Stadium, Berlin
Attendance: 40,000

GB Scorers: Steel (3), Lee, Parsons, Thompson
HT: 3-0
Mills of Great Britain sent-off 89mins
Referee: Valdemar Laursen (Denmark)

Mills sent off v Rest of Europe? Was he the first Brexiteer then?

12 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Presumably that was to do with Prince Charles' investiture?

clapping-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

Commemoration of the Investiture of the Prince of Wales... which happened 27 days earlier!

Rest of UK won 1-0.

Tommy Gemmell, John Greig, Billy Bremner, John Hughes and Willie Henderson played.

Edited by HibeeJibee

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

The first match that I know that I definitely attended at Pittodrie. We were in the Main Stand so that my dad could get a drink at half time. There was a bar in the stand.

I never knew that, not that I was in the Main Stand very often. (Twice that I remember! :lol:). I was only in the enclosure once, I preferred to roam the terraces.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I never knew that, not that I was in the Main Stand very often. (Twice that I remember! :lol:). I was only in the enclosure once, I preferred to roam the terraces.

It was certainly there in the early sixties. No idea when it had to close.