A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

3 hours ago, PossilYM said:

No chance that's a 55,521 crowd inside Hampden.

No because it was only 55,414 according to the London Hearts site or maybe it was 55,500 according to the SFA web site.

On 03/07/2023 at 14:13, tamthebam said:

IMG_20230703_1407243422.thumb.jpg.56f223ef1bd4c7f079666930b6260c0b.jpg

First and perhaps, sort of, last.

Edinburgh City's first appearance in the Scottish Youth Cup, a 1-0 win against East Fife at Bayview Park.

Maybe a slight revenge for the scoreline East Fife 13 Edinburgh City 2 in 1937-38...

This is likely to have been one of the last games played at East Fife's old ground.

For the record Edinburgh City got stuffed by Dunfermline in the next round...

I stood behind that goal in August 1998 to watch The Caley beat East Fife 5-1.  Martin Bavidge and Duncan Shearer scored at that end and I kept having to go and retrieve the ball when it went down the bank behind the terrace whenever there was a wayward shot.

Just now, kingjoey said:

Cheers. 

Think it was 1999 for Dens actually.  I vaguely remember there was still terracing behind the goal in the first SPL season which was 98/99.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Tannadice is completely rebuilt, but Dens looks the same as it did in the 60s. When was the rebuild of Dens, genuinely have no idea.

Aye, in that pc it looks much the same as when I was last there, and that was over 50 years ago.

Edited by Jacksgranda

On 06/07/2023 at 09:05, kingjoey said:

Tannadice is completely rebuilt, but Dens looks the same as it did in the 60s. When was the rebuild of Dens, genuinely have no idea.

Tannadice didn't get a complete rebuild. The George Fox was opened in 1992, the East Stand (now the Eddie Thompson Stand) two years later and the Fair Play Stand in 97 (now named for Jim McLean). The Shed merely had seats installed in it in 94 and has had nothing done to it since. Apart from plastic seats replacing the original wooden ones, the L-shaped main stand is pretty much as it was when built in 1962. 

48 minutes ago, Tom Boland said:

Tannadice didn't get a complete rebuild. The George Fox was opened in 1992, the East Stand (now the Eddie Thompson Stand) two years later and the Fair Play Stand in 97 (now named for Jim McLean). The Shed merely had seats installed in it in 94 and has had nothing done to it since. Apart from plastic seats replacing the original wooden ones, the L-shaped main stand is pretty much as it was when built in 1962. 

Fair dos. I do know that the Shed has only had seats installed, and by complete rebuild I meant that in the photo it was then as it is now. I lived in Dundee from 1966 until 1983, on and off, so was a regular in both Dens and Tannadice during that period. 

The recent Scotland v Georgia game reminded me of a game I went to in the Women's Euro Championships in Rotterdam at Sparta's ground, Het Kasteel. Germany were due to play Denmark but the heavens opened and the game was abandoned to be played the next day (I didn't make the replay- I was going to another game) 

The Scottish connection? The 4th official (who had an important say in whether the game went ahead or not) was Lorraine Watson from Scotland.

germanyvdenmark.thumb.jpg.27474ff227c0f33b7ef2ed83f35db33e.jpg

I'm pretty sure Lorraine Watson became Lorraine Clark and was the first female official to take charge of a senior game in Scotland.

She hailed from Thornton, which was on the Kirkcaldy to Dundee road before they built a bypass in the early 80s.

9 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I'm pretty sure Lorraine Watson became Lorraine Clark and was the first female official to take charge of a senior game in Scotland.

She hailed from Thornton, which was on the Kirkcaldy to Dundee road before they built a bypass in the early 80s.

She was originally Lorraine Clark.

The game in question was the League 2 match Edinburgh City v Berwick Rangers at Ainslie Park. I was there! 

7 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Correct, she's on a hiatus atm as she's 7 months pregnant, she told me she'll be back to refereeing in a while.

7 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The game in question was the League 2 match Edinburgh City v Berwick Rangers at Ainslie Park. I was there! 

Never forgiven her for birling her flag at New Douglas Park which led to a yellow, and subsequent red, for Dougie Hill in a Hamilton v Rovers game circa 2013.

She was right, but that's beside the point.

James Keatings scored for Hamilton, as he did in every game against us that season, before the current Cowdenbeath manager secured us a draw with a second half penalty.

Edited by Specky Ginger

10 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Correct, she's on a hiatus atm as she's 7 months pregnant, she told me she'll be back to refereeing in a while.

Congrats to Mrs Watson and it will be nice to see her back in action again as she's a good ref. 

16 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Her first top flight (🤣🤣🤣 ) game was running the line at Ibrox...

.. hud oan...

...ma fukin ribs...

...in a 3rd division game against Berwick.

15 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Congrats to Mrs Watson and it will be nice to see her back in action again as she's a good ref. 

First clapped eyes on her at a WW v Spamtins game at the San Fergie, where the consensus was that she was out of her depth. I’m sure I’ve got a photo of Wayne Mac making her laugh though. But she’s developed into a decent ref.