A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 hours ago, Eednud said:

On this day in 1909 the club now known as Dundee United played their first game, a friendly against their then namesakes from Edinburgh. Game ended 1-1. Sixty two years later they met at Easter Road in a League Cup match with Hibs winning 2-0. Does anyone know who Hibs were playing in the photo on the programme cover?

IMG_1678.jpeg

IMG_1680.jpeg

The cover photo opponent looks like it's a foreign side, and a few months previously Hibs played Maastricht. 

15 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Correct. But that Hibs game was played in 1971.

LOL you're right!

How the f**k did I get 1909 + 62 = 1959? 

I'm hoping my fellow Dee who made the original post will come along and save my sanity by admitting he edited the date after I posted my reply.  

Edited by hk blues

17 minutes ago, hk blues said:

LOL you're right!

No ha’in any pehs fur a lang while n mair likely no payin’ attenshun at the skale 

Edited by Eednud

Moving back on topic. This was posted by @locheedee on the Dundee forum. The clip is also on YouTube.

3 hours ago, locheedee said:

Some footage of the trip to Anderlecht and the pre match training - on a soggy clay tennis court 😵

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/past-times/4648114/dundee-fc-european-cup-anderlecht/

20 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

I have found the dictionary definition of optimism...

Screenshot2023-08-17at14_49_20.thumb.png.af938d6d89d8562aecb65deb5cea1411.png

(Berwick Advertiser, 26 March 1953)

Credulity may be stretched but remember that without ever banking and terracing the ends it held 16k at a game in 1960.

Plus it was an era when Cowdenbeath were building an 80k venue.

image.png.17250ae2f8526a3ec754daf66aeffbd9.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

LOL you're right!

I'm hoping my fellow Dee who made the original post will come along and save my sanity by admitting he edited the date after I posted my reply.  

Could it be a European tie?

14 hours ago, Eednud said:

On this day in 1909 the club now known as Dundee United played their first game, a friendly against their then namesakes from Edinburgh. Game ended 1-1. Sixty two years later they met at Easter Road in a League Cup match with Hibs winning 2-0. Does anyone know who Hibs were playing in the photo on the programme cover?

IMG_1678.jpeg

IMG_1680.jpeg

When, out of interest, did that massive banked terracing at Easter Road come to an end?

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

When, out of interest, did that massive banked terracing at Easter Road come to an end?

32 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think you mean the old East Terrace - I’m sure a roof was put on it at some point in the 80’s and that reduced the capacity by a lot.

I was in the East Terrace of ER twice in 84/85 season, it was open and uncovered then. Indeed it was still the cinder/sleeper combo underfoot.

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Formal name for Fife.
001     large_fifeshire_constabulary_ww1.jpg

full.jpg

57043.jpg     mid_7120949.jpg

image.thumb.png.1c8956bd3e76b99cacb1132f9f6ac974.png

Its not formal,   it's simply anglicisation that occurred as they couldn't comprehend the idea of county's that didn't end in shire so they just forced it onto places that never were named as such, thankfully binned and being the glorious kingdom is the current naming,

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Its not formal,   it's simply anglicisation that occurred as they couldn't comprehend the idea of county's that didn't end in shire so they just forced it onto places that never were named as such, thankfully binned and being the glorious kingdom is the current naming,

Loads of English counties don't end in 'shire'.