A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

EWx0Gh-XQAIersi?format=jpg&name=900x900

Leeds United v Blackpool 1960/61. An 18 year old Billy Bremner is all smiles with Stanley Matthews, who at that time was exactly 2.5 times his age. Clearly this was taken before the young whippersnapper attempted to break both his legs, probably.

Edited by Lurkst

3 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

The SFA telling Middlesbrough to do one...

Screenshot2023-07-18at20_46_51.thumb.png.f2bf0ec76732f5293b6f5e62dc91aba4.png

...but the era of professionalism could not be stemmed.  The Scotsman, 16 September 1891.

Approx £1700 in today's money,  not bad.

4 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

but the era of professionalism could not be stemmed

It did temporarily for Middlesbrough as they only lasted as a professional club from 1889 and reverted to amateur status in 1892. They won the old FA Amateur Cup twice (1895 & 1898) before becoming a professional club again in 1899.

3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Highlights from Somerset.

Screenshot_20240115-092328_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5d36df851c7cc3548dc4d143de658f11.jpg

That could have been taken yesterday but Ayr haven't played the cheeks for a while.... 

That STV logo came in around the mid 1980s- me and my mates got free car stickers down the local shopping centre. 

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

That could have been taken yesterday but Ayr haven't played the cheeks for a while.... 

That STV logo came in around the mid 1980s- me and my mates got free car stickers down the local shopping centre. 

Yes the vans date the photo more than the stadium 😀

Doubt it would've been for a live broadcast, those were few and far between back then. I can recall the odd Ayr game on Scotsport in the late 80s / early 90s though.

One RB Clark, agile goalkeeper of Queen’s Park, makes a save at Gayfield on this day in 1965 as they beat Arbroath 2-1 in an old Division Two match in front of 1,036. The agile goalkeeper was signed by Aberdeen later that year helping the Dons win the League, Cup and League Cup during his time at Pittodrie. He also won 17 caps for Scotland but to top it off he helped Forres Mechanics win the Highland League Cup in 1984/85. The Queen’s Park inside left was Malky Mackay, 50 years before becoming Malky Mackay MBE and 7 years before his son Malky was born. Picture from https://www.arbroatharchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=6048

IMG_1872.jpeg

3 hours ago, Eednud said:

One RB Clark, agile goalkeeper of Queen’s Park, makes a save at Gayfield on this day in 1965 as they beat Arbroath 2-1 in an old Division Two match in front of 1,036. The agile goalkeeper was signed by Aberdeen later that year helping the Dons win the League, Cup and League Cup during his time at Pittodrie. He also won 17 caps for Scotland but to top it off he helped Forres Mechanics win the Highland League Cup in 1984/85. The Queen’s Park inside left was Malky Mackay, 50 years before becoming Malky Mackay MBE and 7 years before his son Malky was born. Picture from https://www.arbroatharchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=6048

IMG_1872.jpeg

I think I mentioned this earlier on this thread but I bumped into Bobby Clark last summer whilst playing Moray Old - he was out walking and helped me look for my ball........as soon as I recognised who it was I went up and shook his hand and told him he was my hero when I was a youngster.  He looked extremely fit and well - tellin me he either plays golf every day or goes out for long walks along the beach.

Life during wartime. Pity there was no photo of Leith Athletic in their gifted clothing coupons strip. From the Arab Archive of a game on this day in 1942 in the North Eastern League. 

IMG_1873.jpeg

Scottish Cup results from 17 January 1931 when 11 goals were scored at Dens and 14 across the road at Tannadice, 13 at Somerset, 10 at Tynecastle and 16 at Firhill. A total of 193 goals scored over the 32 ties. Apart from the 2 games in Dundee, there were 5 in Edinburgh (Civil Service Strollers, Hearts, Hibs, Murrayfield Amateurs and St Bernard’s) and 5 in Glasgow (Clyde, Glasgow University, Partick Thistle, Queen’s Park and Third Lanark). Dundee United and Partick Thistle recorded their biggest results and think it’s Dundee’s biggest Scottish Cup win and probably Ayr United’s.

IMG_1874.jpeg

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

Scottish Cup results from 17 January 1931 when 11 goals were scored at Dens and 14 across the road at Tannadice, 13 at Somerset, 10 at Tynecastle and 16 at Firhill. A total of 193 goals scored over the 32 ties. Apart from the 2 games in Dundee, there were 5 in Edinburgh (Civil Service Strollers, Hearts, Hibs, Murrayfield Amateurs and St Bernard’s) and 5 in Glasgow (Clyde, Glasgow University, Partick Thistle, Queen’s Park and Third Lanark). Dundee United and Partick Thistle recorded their biggest results and think it’s Dundee’s biggest Scottish Cup win and probably Ayr United’s.

IMG_1874.jpeg

Very interesting ....what i want to know though is, when did they start displaying a score spelt out in brackets? ie Partick thistle 16 (sixteen) v Royal Albert 0 

On 16/01/2024 at 16:51, Squirrelhumper said:

We always took a big crowd up there from memory. Always seemed that way. 

I know it's obviously correct for Killie fans, but it's funny to read Kilbowie described as "up there", a term normally reserved for grounds a shade further north.