A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Pity Craig Brown didn't make it into the 1st 11 or it would have been 3 future Scotland managers.

P.S. I see a future Dundee favourite there - Jim Shirra. 

Wilson Hoggan who also played for us next to him. Signed, according Davie White, to supply crosses for John Duncan. 10 minutes after Hoggan signed, Duncan was on his way to White Hart Lane

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Baker said:

Wilson Hoggan who also played for us next to him. Signed, according Davie White, to supply crosses for John Duncan. 10 minutes after Hoggan signed, Duncan was on his way to White Hart Lane

I was just starting to go to Dens when he joined, and Duncan left!  

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I was just starting to go to Dens when he joined, and Duncan left!  

John Duncan was a great guy. When I was in 4th year at the Grove Academy he was there part time, completing his training as a PE Teacher. That would be about the same time as the picture of him on the previous page showing him playing against Cowdenbeath. In reality there wasn't a great deal difference in age between us and him. Once a week we would have what was known as "Fields". This like "Houses", "colours" and having a "Rector" instead of a Headie was a throw back to when it was a "proper" Academy. As the school didn't have a sports ground of it's own this took place at Dawson Park. One day Dawson was unplayable so we had a kick about on the grass in front of the Extension to the School (where the current Grove is now). Duncan agreed to ref but couldn't stop himself getting involved, especially at corners. After one typically inept effort from us to connect with a cross ball he lost patience, or his enthusiasm got the better of him, and he strode forward and caught the dropping ball on the full volley. It flew past the statue like figure in the goal, rising all the way until it met the massive plate glass window in the domestic science class, shattering it and scattering screaming lassies, pots, pans and food in all directions. I think it was the only time powdered glass was added unintentionally to a meal prepared in these classes! We all beat it whilst he had to go and sort out the chaos. His stock, which was high enough anyway, rose sky high that day! All the lads looked on him as one of their own and I can remember how gutted I was when his Chesterfield side were unfairly knocked out of the cup Semi Final by Middlesborough. One of our Own.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Baker said:

John Duncan was a great guy. When I was in 4th year at the Grove Academy he was there part time, completing his training as a PE Teacher. That would be about the same time as the picture of him on the previous page showing him playing against Cowdenbeath. In reality there wasn't a great deal difference in age between us and him. Once a week we would have what was known as "Fields". This like "Houses", "colours" and having a "Rector" instead of a Headie was a throw back to when it was a "proper" Academy. As the school didn't have a sports ground of it's own this took place at Dawson Park. One day Dawson was unplayable so we had a kick about on the grass in front of the Extension to the School (where the current Grove is now). Duncan agreed to ref but couldn't stop himself getting involved, especially at corners. After one typically inept effort from us to connect with a cross ball he lost patience, or his enthusiasm got the better of him, and he strode forward and caught the dropping ball on the full volley. It flew past the statue like figure in the goal, rising all the way until it met the massive plate glass window in the domestic science class, shattering it and scattering screaming lassies, pots, pans and food in all directions. I think it was the only time powdered glass was added unintentionally to a meal prepared in these classes! We all beat it whilst he had to go and sort out the chaos. His stock, which was high enough anyway, rose sky high that day! All the lads looked on him as one of their own and I can remember how gutted I was when his Chesterfield side were unfairly knocked out of the cup Semi Final by Middlesborough. One of our Own.

As an aside on another thread on the forum I mentioned that Dundee had just the 1 private school and 3 'superior' secondary schools - Grove, Harris and Morgan.  By the time I was going to secondary school the three were fully integrated into the 'normal' system but still held some degree of esteem - possibly still do as their catchment areas are the better-off parts of the city.

I went to the Rocky! 

Just now, hk blues said:

As an aside on another thread on the forum I mentioned that Dundee had just the 1 private school and 3 'superior' secondary schools - Grove, Harris and Morgan.  By the time I was going to secondary school the three were fully integrated into the 'normal' system but still held some degree of esteem - possibly still do as their catchment areas are the better-off parts of the city.

I went to the Rocky! 

Yes, that was the case when I was at School. We  had various education streams like any other Comprehensive School but there was still a residual, undeserved, cache about attending any of these despite the fact that most of us were there only because we lived in the area. Prior to that I did a full term at the Rocky Primary 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Baker said:

Yes, that was the case when I was at School. We  had various education streams like any other Comprehensive School but there was still a residual, undeserved, cache about attending any of these despite the fact that most of us were there only because we lived in the area. Prior to that I did a full term at the Rocky Primary 

Even in my time at the Rocky it was noticeable that the kids who went to the Harris all wore the maroon blazers whilst wearing a blazer at the Rocky would have led to a bullying incident so the prestige seemed to have lived on long after it should have.  

On 07/07/2024 at 19:57, megaspinnernet2 said:

Falkirk's 1970 team, containing not one but two future Scotland managers, one of whom is regarded by many as the greatest football manager of all time.

Falkirk's 1970 team, containing not one but two future Scotland managers, one of whom is regarded by many as the greatest football manager of all time..jpg

That was the first Falkirk team that I watched on a regular basis, the team picked itself, although Setterington in for Scott for me. I've always had an aversion to Falkirk wearing red socks,(I fall out with fellow Bairns fans about it often) maybe this team is why - navy top, white shorts and navy and white socks, perfect! 

On 07/07/2024 at 13:54, megaspinnernet2 said:

Cliftonhill Stadium, Coatbridge. Home of Albion Rovers.

Cliftonhill Stadium, Coatbridge. Home of Albion Rovers..jpg

Been in probably a 100 Scottish football grounds but was never in Cliftonhill until last winter when i saw Glasgow Women v St Johnstone playing midweek.

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I went to the Rocky! 

Dundonian born post 2000 here: The only people nowadays who have gone to the Rocky are people who were kicked out of 2-3 other schools and have to be placed in a "troubled children" class.

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

kids who went to the Harris all wore the maroon blazers whilst wearing a blazer at the Rocky would have led to a bullying incident

This still holds up, everyone in harris still wears blazers, in Braeview only seniors wore them

As Queen's Park were formed on July 9th 1867, and if it wasn't for them we'd all be watching egg chasing, here is legendary coach "Mad" Eddie Hunter looking hard

hunter.jpg.c74dccb220ffe9da25f3f80d0ac6297c.jpg

Back in the day all the young boys would play subbuteo using figures in their teams colours or approximations if they supported a smaller team

kids in Cowdenbeath would line their figures up on a scalextrics track

15 hours ago, Beave said:

Dundonian born post 2000 here: The only people nowadays who have gone to the Rocky are people who were kicked out of 2-3 other schools and have to be placed in a "troubled children" class.

This still holds up, everyone in harris still wears blazers, in Braeview only seniors wore them

I was there from 77-83 and it was in the catchment area for Ardler/St Mary's where I lived.  It wasn't the best but on a par with the other poorer schools at the time.  We had our fair share of problem students for sure but it wasn't a war zone. 

As for blazers, there were a handful of students who wore one but it was far from the norm.  

9 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Central Park, Cowdenbeath

image.thumb.png.381b766a27bde24b86745d5d9f6376d5.png

New Powderhall, Edinburgh

image.thumb.png.27f9a0f62a76dacc9f09ba44565a79ff.png

New Powderhall. Did that used to be called New Logie Green? If so the only venue outside Glasgow to host a Scottish cup final. Hearts beat Hibs 3-1

12 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

New Powderhall. Did that used to be called New Logie Green? If so the only venue outside Glasgow to host a Scottish cup final. Hearts beat Hibs 3-1

Nah, New Logie Green would have been just out of shot. Old Logie Green was top left, where the kennels are.

This 1902 town plan shows New Logie Green (blue marker), Old Logie Green (cricket ground), New Powderhall and Old Powderhall (public park).

image.png.5424d75bcc0563fc4b51629a7015a93b.png

And closer to how it looks in the image I posted, showing the kennels on Old Logie Green - 

image.png.c1517b27a44a7292ae5581f12fbaf4c9.png

2 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Nah, New Logie Green would have been just out of shot. Old Logie Green was top left, where the kennels are.

This 1902 town plan shows New Logie Green (blue marker), Old Logie Green (cricket ground), New Powderhall and Old Powderhall (public park).

image.png.5424d75bcc0563fc4b51629a7015a93b.png

And closer to how it looks in the image I posted, showing the kennels on Old Logie Green - 

image.png.c1517b27a44a7292ae5581f12fbaf4c9.png

St Bernard's Royal Gymnasium Ground on Eyre Crescent was a few minutes walk away to the south. They had played at both Logie Green and Powderhall too. 

Last night Dundee played their fourth pre-season friendly but on this day 71 years ago they played the penultimate game of a seventeen match post season tour of Southern Africa. They beat South Africa 5-0 at the Rand Stadium in Johannesburg with the final game against the same opposition in Cape Town four days later, winning 5-3. Full list of results here https://dundeefc.co.uk/news/tartan-troops-from-tayside-south-africa-tour/

Have a feeling the film clip of the 5-0 Johannesburg game has been posted before, possibly by me. Amazing that it’s in colour. Not sure how they travelled but assuming by ship so probably 3 weeks sailing from Cape Town to Southampton. After returning to Scotland they were back in action on 8 August in League Cup action at Dens defeating Stirling Albion 6-1 in front of a 21,000 crowd.

image.thumb.jpeg.9518131de8ca368ac826b1118c36d311.jpeg

Edited by Eednud