A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

38 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

So many crimes against fashion in one photo but the worst is undoubtedly trying to match the handkerchief with the polo neck and failing miserably. 

I don't think that's a hanky, I think it's a pair of Lorraine Kelly's knickers.

On 05/09/2024 at 08:22, Boghead ranter said:

Screenshot_20240905-082025_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.7cea3615610bc55afdf69cda92c08b14.jpg

A mixture of Dundee United fans and Hibs supporters were in the Pollock Jrs club pre match, which had a Saturday 12:15pm kick off perhaps, and we discussed getting to the Final. Generally neither sets of fans were confident of winning the cup, but I was still a bit deflated that United lost on penalties, after the prolific (apart from with United) Billy McKay was thwarted many times, often one-on-one, by the most overweight goalie I'd seen in the flesh. It was Connor Logan's debut for Hibernian.

And yet, I was grateful in time that Hibs won the match, because we'd all have missed perhaps the best cup final on the 2000s, and it's only recently I realised big Connor actually played in that match, due to turning off my interest, probably through jealousy and bitterness, of cup competitions once United are eliminated.

A source of solace to me is that United lost on penalties in the semi final to the Connor inspired Hibs, while Rangers were defeated in the final over the nomal (plus added) time. 

Scotland lost 0-1 to East Germany on 7 September 1977. The Time match report is from the London Hearts site. The link is to a short video of the game. The attendance was either 35,000, 45,000 or 50,000

https://cutt.ly/ReEgWe53

Match 406)  7th September 1977  (Friendly match)
EAST GERMANY - SCOTLAND  1-0  (0-0)
Referee:   Martin Horbas (Czechoslovakia)
Crowd:     50.000, Stadion der Weltjugend, East Berlin
Goal:      1-0 Schade (66)
EAST GERMANY:  (Coach:  Georg Buschner)
Jurgen Croy - Hans-Jurgen Dorner [c], Gerd Kische - Konrad Weise, Gerd Weber, 
Reinhard Hafner - Hartmut Schade, Lutz Lindemann, Gert Heidler, Jurgen Sparwasser 
(Peter Kotte HT), Joachim Streich (Martin Hoffmann HT).

SCOTLAND:  (Manager:  Alistair MacLeod/7)
David Steel Stewart		     (1/Leeds United) -
Daniel Fergus McGrain                (39/Celtic)
William Donachie		     (26/Manchester City) -
Donald Sandison Masson [c]           (12/Queens Park Rangers)
Gordon McQueen			     (15/Leeds United) 
Martin McLean Buchan		     (26/Manchester United) -
Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish	     (48/Liverpool)
Richard [Asa] Hartford		     (19/Manchester City)  
Joseph Jordan		             (25/Leeds United)
Luigi (Lou) Macari		     (20/Manchester United)
William McClure Johnston	     (17/West Bromwich Albion)

Subs:
Arthur Graham                        (1/Leeds United)   for William Johnston (59)
Archibald Gemmill	             (22/Derby County)  for Asa Hartford     (65)

Notes:  David Stewart saved a 75th minute penalty kick from Hans-Jurgen Dorner.
Edited by Eednud

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

Scotland lost 0-1 to East Germany on 7 September 1977. The Time match report is from the London Hearts site. The link is to a short video of the game. The attendance was either 35,000, 45,000 or 50,000

https://cutt.ly/ReEgWe53

Match 406)  7th September 1977  (Friendly match)
EAST GERMANY - SCOTLAND  1-0  (0-0)
Referee:   Martin Horbas (Czechoslovakia)
Crowd:     50.000, Stadion der Weltjugend, East Berlin
Goal:      1-0 Schade (66)
EAST GERMANY:  (Coach:  Georg Buschner)
Jurgen Croy - Hans-Jurgen Dorner [c], Gerd Kische - Konrad Weise, Gerd Weber, 
Reinhard Hafner - Hartmut Schade, Lutz Lindemann, Gert Heidler, Jurgen Sparwasser 
(Peter Kotte HT), Joachim Streich (Martin Hoffmann HT).

SCOTLAND:  (Manager:  Alistair MacLeod/7)
David Steel Stewart		     (1/Leeds United) -
Daniel Fergus McGrain                (39/Celtic)
William Donachie		     (26/Manchester City) -
Donald Sandison Masson [c]           (12/Queens Park Rangers)
Gordon McQueen			     (15/Leeds United) 
Martin McLean Buchan		     (26/Manchester United) -
Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish	     (48/Liverpool)
Richard [Asa] Hartford		     (19/Manchester City)  
Joseph Jordan		             (25/Leeds United)
Luigi (Lou) Macari		     (20/Manchester United)
William McClure Johnston	     (17/West Bromwich Albion)

Subs:
Arthur Graham                        (1/Leeds United)   for William Johnston (59)
Archibald Gemmill	             (22/Derby County)  for Asa Hartford     (65)

Notes:  David Stewart saved a 75th minute penalty kick from Hans-Jurgen Dorner.

Never played for Scotland again, mind you the national team selection policy during the 70's & 80's seemed totally illogical 

Ron Yeats in action for Dundee United at Tynecastle in October 1960 The Hearts player is Alex Young and they faced each other the following October at Goodison when Everton and Liverpool drew 2-2 in a Floodlit Challenge Cup game. The United player far left is Stewart Fraser but no idea who the player is between Yeats and Young.

IMG_2218.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Ron Yeats in action for Dundee United at Tynecastle in October 1960 The Hearts player is Alex Young and they faced each other the following October at Goodison when Everton and Liverpool drew 2-2 in a Floodlit Challenge Cup game. The United player far left is Stewart Fraser but no idea who the player is between Yeats and Young.

IMG_2218.jpeg

I'm struggling with that lad in the centre too, but here's Ron Yeats with Alex Young again in the typical photograph used by the press when Scots were successful down south>

RonYeatsandAlexYoungKilts.thumb.jpg.c5340d3d0382edea70e60a365b0f26fc.jpg

Newspaper cuttings regarding his transfer to Liverpool>

1961-7-22-yeats-sign.thumb.jpg.280af386e37e63cd830215d302d00d62.jpg

Shameful that he only won two Scotland caps, the second being against Italy in Naples in 1965. I've got it in my head that the match was televised, and I took the afternoon off school to watch it, but it may be imagination. Also, again, the mind perhaps playing tricks, but did Jock Stein play big Ron as a centre forward in that game?

On 30/08/2024 at 13:40, Piquet said:

From The Scotsman

Why Dave Mackay hated famous Billy Bremner photo
By The Newsroom
Published 3rd Mar 2015, 21:00 BST

Mackay grew to hate the Billy Bremner picture as it seemed to wrongly suggest he was a bully. 

The most famous photo of Dave Mackay is one that the man himself grew to hate. To some viewers, the picture by sports photographer Monte Fresco of Mackay grabbing hold of Billy Bremner during a 1966 match between Tottenham Hotspur and Leeds is one of football’s most memorable images, summing up his commanding presence. But Mackay felt it gave a misleading impression.

“I get asked to autograph that photo all the time,” he said a few years ago. “But I don’t like it, because it portrays me as a bully – he’s smaller than me and I’m picking him up. I’m not a bully and don’t like bullies.

“He was a brilliant little player but a dirty little b******. He kicked me in the leg I’d just come back from breaking twice. If he’d kicked the other one I could have accepted that. But he kicked the broken one and that really annoyed me. I could’ve killed him that day.”

Jimmy Greaves, a Spurs team-mate of Mackay’s, was more forthright in his criticism of Bremner when he discussed the photo in 2011. “When Dave grabbed Billy it was probably the only time this nasty little player ever looked frightened in his entire career,” he said.

“I can remember Bremner kicking me in the tunnel before one Leeds-Spurs match. I asked: ‘What did you do that for, Bill?’ and he said: ‘Just cos I f***ing felt like it’. He wouldn’t have kicked Dave Mackay in the tunnel, though!”

Billy following on from Bobby Collins who was said to have kicked George Best in the tunnel pre game

6 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm struggling with that lad in the centre too, but here's Ron Yeats with Alex Young again in the typical photograph used by the press when Scots were successful down south>

RonYeatsandAlexYoungKilts.thumb.jpg.c5340d3d0382edea70e60a365b0f26fc.jpg

Newspaper cuttings regarding his transfer to Liverpool>

1961-7-22-yeats-sign.thumb.jpg.280af386e37e63cd830215d302d00d62.jpg

Shameful that he only won two Scotland caps, the second being against Italy in Naples in 1965. I've got it in my head that the match was televised, and I took the afternoon off school to watch it, but it may be imagination. Also, again, the mind perhaps playing tricks, but did Jock Stein play big Ron as a centre forward in that game?

No , it was to try and confuse the Italians 

He was actually man marking Rivera ( ? )

That infamous game was when we had a first team of players , eg  Law , Baxter , Henderson , MacKay  etc , out injured

I believe it was on t.v. 

There is certainly clips of the goals on YT

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain