What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Standing out from the other eleven would qualify as literally exceptional 

It a permanent annual award that goes to a vote where the candidate could have won by one vote for all we know, not sure how that qualifies them automatically as being 'exceptional' to the rest.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Duk beat about 3 men then backheeled in from 12 yards, leaving half a team on their arse in awe.

For me that was a clear winner here but didnt even make the shortlist 😂

The Humphreys goal is a similar finish to Jota but from 50 yards further back.

47 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah Kettlewell and Robson are the 2 outstanding managers just now, taking over teams that were doing so badly and lifting them to 7th and 3rd, but wouldn't be fair including them in a season's award.

How about a manager who took over a team who got relegated and, using many of the same players, losing only once in the league all season and winning the league, totally turning round the club and many of the players?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Duk beat about 3 men then backheeled in from 12 yards, leaving half a team on their arse in awe.

For me that was a clear winner here but didnt even make the shortlist 😂

Duk's goal was delicious, I agree.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

The Jota goal is lovely but you see almost the same goal up and down the country in all leagues most weeks.

Correct. About 4 a week in the SPFL. A neat finish, no more.

59 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

The Humphreys goal is a similar finish to Jota but from 50 yards further back.

Forgot about Humphrey. As someone said earlier, this is the danger of a public vote. Proof democracy is overrated imo.

40 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

How about a manager who took over a team who got relegated and, using many of the same players, losing only once in the league all season and winning the league, totally turning round the club and many of the players?

Maybe I'm not fully appreciating how bad Dunfermline were, but winning half part-time League 1 with a squad built (albeit unsuccessfully) for the Championship doesn't seem extraordinary.

McPake doing management well, on the other hand, a big surprise.

56 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

When you put it like that
It's hardly surprising he won the award for League one

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

Maybe I'm not fully appreciating how bad Dunfermline were, but winning half part-time League 1 with a squad built (albeit unsuccessfully) for the Championship doesn't seem extraordinary.

McPake doing management well, on the other hand, a big surprise.

Losing a single game in the league all season is pretty decent. When was the last time that happened in this league? Sevco maybe? Before that? Doing so with a bunch of players who got the team relegated and most of whom the fans wanted to see punted due to them being hideously poor is decent. The transformation in some players has been crazy.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Losing a single game in the league all season is pretty decent. When was the last time that happened in this league? Sevco maybe? Before that? Doing so with a bunch of players who got the team relegated and most of whom the fans wanted to see punted due to them being hideously poor is decent. The transformation in some players has been crazy.

Sevco went unbeaten in what is now League One IIRC, even though they contrived to lose games in the third tier. They had a 100% away record (i.e. 17 wins from 17 away games) going into the last game at EEP but drew that 1-1 so didn't quite get that particular record either.

Think outwith Rangers/Sevco/Celtic there have only been a few occasions across all the pro leagues in Scotland where a team had lost only 1 game and some of them stretch back to the early days of organised leagues and small numbers of games etc.

Duk's goal against Dundee United was class. As was the one the Hearts player scored from his own half. For us, Max Johnstone scored a screamer against St Mirren and there's also Van Veen turning Greg Taylor inside out to score against Celtic the other week. 

Never mind any of them though. Jota scored from 5 yards against Rangers. Fucking hell. 

9 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I'd argue you could take any manager in the SPFL and given them either of those jobs and they'd finish top 2. In fact, you could give any fan the job and they'd still finish top 2.

Most of us could take Celtic or Sevco to a top 2 finish simply by staying at home and not interfering.

All this has proven yet again is it would be more meaningful if it was handicapped.

Guys getting a song out of academy kids not hoovered up by the Old Firm, journeymen and national league mediocrity with a total club weekly wage budget equating to both Tavernier and McGregor's combined salaries.

As for the manager, its whoever wins the league. No negotiation nor deviation, easier to justify if they also win at least one cup but not mandatory.

It's a precession in our game and that extends to awards ceremonies too.

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Most of us could take Celtic or Sevco to a top 2 finish simply by staying at home and not interfering.

I can assure you that I would have celtic relegated. 

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

They should just have the OF awards for the bigot twins and then the normal civilised member of society awards for everyone else.

That's it in a nutshell when we have such a sycophantic and fawning media, but especially when it comes to public votes too.

Duk's goal was up there as the one I'd have chosen from everything I've seen this season. Great run, defenders sent for the pies and a delicious finish.

The old firm hordes though can't see beyond voting for their own, no matter how much more routine and common a goal it was (to the extent that it should never even have been shortlisted in the first place but there's that sycophantic media at play again for you, though).

Narrow minded nonsense that makes a mockery of these things when they vote in large numbers just to say their team won yet another award, deserved or not. Jota would likely have had a wee bit of a red neck if he'd been there to go up and collect it in person as it probably wasnt even his own best goal, but as it was against Rangers they'd simply have to vote for it even if it'd gone in off his arse.. It is ok to give other teams/players credit now and again in the interest of, you know, fairness and doing the right thing. I suppose some folk are just more in tune with doing that than others.

2 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

That's it in a nutshell when we have such a sycophantic and fawning media, but especially when it comes to public votes too.

Duk's goal was up there as the one I'd have chosen from everything I've seen this season. Great run, defenders sent for the pies and a delicious finish.

The old firm hordes though can't see beyond voting for their own, no matter how much more routine and common a goal it was (to the extent that it should never even have been shortlisted in the first place but there's that sycophantic media at play again for you, though).

Narrow minded nonsense that makes a mockery of these things when they vote in large numbers just to say their team won yet another award, deserved or not. Jota would likely have had a wee bit of a red neck if he'd been there to go up and collect it in person as it probably wasnt even his own best goal, but as it was against Rangers they'd simply have to vote for it even if it'd gone in off his arse.. It is ok to give other teams/players credit now and again in the interest of, you know, fairness and doing the right thing. I suppose some folk are just more in tune with doing that than others.

Too much sycophantic.