What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

Nah, I've  generally been the guy pointing out it's the vastly increased European money for the past two decades that's sets 'us' apart. And trickle down economics has never ever worked in society and doesn't in football either.

Fair enough.

That's most disappointing to hear.

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I would say that parliamentarians sharing some civic pride relating to the area which they represent is an important part of their role. They should be taking the opportunity to talk about the good things which are happening in their region.

Perhaps, but surely there is a better way than wasting time at PMQs?

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I would say that parliamentarians sharing some civic pride relating to the area which they represent is an important part of their role. They should be taking the opportunity to talk about the good things which are happening in their region.

I think Dundee also won the drugs death and youth pregnancy leagues.

Onwards and upwards.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/celtic-boss-amongst-4-man-manager-of-the-year-shortlist-including-premiership-top-six-rival-and-league-winners-4139723

Would 'The manager of the team with the greatest resources in the league getting nominated for a MotY award' count as tinpot?

Celtic should really be winning at least 36 games a season (plus cups). They failed miserably in Europe too. Nonsensical stuff from the PFA

23 minutes ago, FozzysFence said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/celtic-boss-amongst-4-man-manager-of-the-year-shortlist-including-premiership-top-six-rival-and-league-winners-4139723

Would 'The manager of the team with the greatest resources in the league getting nominated for a MotY award' count as tinpot?

Celtic should really be winning at least 36 games a season (plus cups). They failed miserably in Europe too. Nonsensical stuff from the PFA

No.

The guys about to lead his team to a treble. Yes, they are favourites to win all three trophies but that doesnt mean it isnt still a good achievement. Suggesting he hasnt been one of the best 4 managers this season is a bit petty if you ask me. That being said, I dont think he should win it.

In my opinion, the 4 nominations look right. Owen Coyle maybe the only one who can feel a bit unlucky since he was probably 90 mins away from being the nailed on winner of this.

15 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

No.

The guys about to lead his team to a treble. Yes, they are favourites to win all three trophies but that doesnt mean it isnt still a good achievement. Suggesting he hasnt been one of the best 4 managers this season is a bit petty if you ask me. That being said, I dont think he should win it.

In my opinion, the 4 nominations look right. Owen Coyle maybe the only one who can feel a bit unlucky since he was probably 90 mins away from being the nailed on winner of this.

can equally argue that winning the treble is the bare minimum that Celtic should be achieving each year - it's shooting fish in a barrel for them at the moment.

I'd be inclined to judge any current Celtic manager on how they fare against real competition (Europe) and so far, he's been disappointing*.

Agree on the other three nominations though - as well as Owen Coyle, would Lee Bullen be feeling a bit hard done by? Hard to judge whether he's had a good season or not really. 

Anyway, this is probably drifting off-topic, sorry mom, sorry college...

*hilarious

1 hour ago, FozzysFence said:

can equally argue that winning the treble is the bare minimum that Celtic should be achieving each year - it's shooting fish in a barrel for them at the moment.

Absolute nonsense. I would imagine not a single manager in the history of Celtic has ever been given that as a minimum by a board. 

Just now, kennie makevin said:

'Manager or The Year' should be a recognition of 'exceptional achievement' . Debatable, given how many to they've won in the past few years, if there is anything 'exceptional' about Celtic winning a treble.  And , you never know, they may only win a double...

It's all relative to who they are up against that year though, some years there will be little as to what would be deemed 'exceptional'. 

1 hour ago, FozzysFence said:

I'd be inclined to judge any current Celtic manager on how they fare against real competition (Europe) and so far, he's been disappointing

I have no idea what a Celtic mgr targets are, but I cant see it being a domestic treble as there is no margin for error.

In Europe, I imagine the target is group stages, because thats where the cash is.

9 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I have no idea what a Celtic mgr targets are, but I cant see it being a domestic treble as there is no margin for error.

In Europe, I imagine the target is group stages, because thats where the cash is.

Surely the minimum for a Celtic manager is win the league and 2 cup finals plus European group stages

3 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Surely the minimum for a Celtic manager is win the league and 2 cup finals plus European group stages

No idea, but I was just commenting that it really cant be  "win a treble" at a minimum, or we would have seen a greater turnover of Celtic Managers over the last few years

On 09/05/2023 at 17:53, GeorgiosSamaras said:

. Rodgers was great, but Ange is the perfect representative for a club like us. His background his story and aye, his values born from his immigrant upbringing fit Celtic perfectly. 

:yucky

11 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

And to do it in style, blowing all the diddy teams away, so they can condescendingly tell everyone it has absolutely nothing to do with financial advantage, they just need to try a little bit harder to give them some competition.  

On 10/05/2023 at 09:10, VincentGuerin said:

I don't think that's how he will be judged. Brendan Rodgers (admittedly with a higher profile background) was able to rescue his career by winning with Celtic domestically and being pure shite in the Champions League and overall middling in Europe (picking up arguably their worst ever result in the process), and this will generally be the case. The OF are such an irrelevance in Europe that I don't think anybody really expects them to do well in the Champions League, or really cares if they do.

The Celtic job is a good springboard if you are seen to be good at it, but the European aspect makes little difference. You basically need to win and be seen to win with a bit of style, preferably while having some big numbers in Old Firm wins.

Lennon got Celtic to the last 16 of the Champions League, beat Barcelona, won an away CL tie but found himself to be not quoted for good jobs down south despite having played in the Premier League and won a trophy with Leicester as a player. Deila got them to the last 32 of the Europa League, which is as good as Brendan Rodgers' best effort, but was seen as a failure and ended up in America while Rodgers is seen as an excellent Celtic coach.

Success in Europe mattered not a jot for people that mattered when it came to Lennon and Deila. They ended up at Hibs and New York. Even before that, Strachan got Celtic to the CL last sixteen twice and the best he could get next was Championship Middlesbrough. And if Postecoglou decides to move this summer, the lack of success he's had in that regard probably won't be too big a barrier.

Similar to Rodgers, he has status in the game having been a good Australia coach and having been to a World Cup. That will come into play now, but nothing he has to do at Celtic is all that difficult. He's in a situation where the only club that could possibly be competitive with him are a shambles, he's got a massive financial advantage, and all he needs to do is keep racking up the games that are hard not to win.

He's the kind of coach who is tactically in fashion, and he needed a platform to get a bigger job. Celtic is that, but it's an easier job than any he's had before. I like him as a coach and I think he could go and do well, but what he's doing here is a fucking skoosh compared to his previous work.

We hear a lot that Europe is where OF managers are judged. But the evidence for it is thin on the ground. At Rangers, their coach got to a European final and is now on the dole.

You can post sensibly when you put your mind to it. Just stay away from Dons' threads...

I think whoever escapes from the Championship should just be handed the MOTY award - that league gives me the fear TBH.

I also guess that anything you could say about ange would apply to McPake at Dunfermline (biggest club in the division by a reasonable distance, should be winning it comfortably)