What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

22 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Why are they letting fans have a say in a Professional Footballers Association award?

Tinpot gonna tinpot...

A lot of award nights seem more professional and might even be seen as money makers for clubs or maybe it is more to avoid the piss ups that sometimes ended in ignominy by the end of the night?

I much preferred the latter, back in the day. They tended to be ran by supporter's clubs or supporter's federations back in the day.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You'd have no winners most years, by the very definition of the word "exceptional".

One team's exceptional is another's meh. There is nothing exceptional about Sevco finishing 2nd, but if any of the diddy teams did it, that would be classed as exceptional. Same with Celtic hoovering up all the cups, kinda feels a meh, but St Johnstone doing a double felt unbelievably exceptional.

On 12/05/2023 at 13:48, Dylangt7 said:

As an Aussie albeit from this distance that's not how I remember it. Every coach gets questioned on selections, particularly national teams, he was no different.

Coaching and selection aside, I clearer remember he had a slightly difficult relationship with the press who perceived him as curmudgeonly. Especially as part of his "values", to coin a phrase was to never give a straight answer and be a bit sneery and smart arsy to basic questions.

Will need to dig through the old Green and Gold forum for examples..

The Australian Gordon Strachan.

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

A lot of award nights seem more professional and might even be seen as money makers for clubs or maybe it is more to avoid the piss ups that sometimes ended in ignominy by the end of the night?

I much preferred the latter, back in the day. They tended to be ran by supporter's clubs or supporter's federations back in the day.

I played for an Under-11 team in Alloa back in the early 90s. The award night ended up in a rumble after one of the dads accused the team manager of fixing the raffle so his family won all the booze. 

Happy days.

27 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

One team's exceptional is another's meh. There is nothing exceptional about Sevco finishing 2nd, but if any of the diddy teams did it, that would be classed as exceptional. Same with Celtic hoovering up all the cups, kinda feels a meh, but St Johnstone doing a double felt unbelievably exceptional.

100% this. Realistically, one of them is going to win the league every year, so for any Rangers or Celtic manager to get manager of the season, they would need to do something exceptional domestically and given the gulf as it exists, could you even class a domestic treble as exceptional anymore?

I'd argue you could take any manager in the SPFL and given them either of those jobs and they'd finish top 2. In fact, you could give any fan the job and they'd still finish top 2.

Same goes for top POTY. I think it's pretty clear that Celtic and Rangers have significantly better players than all the rest, but you need to look at relativity a bit too. Easy for a Gary Hooper for example, back in the day, to score 20+ goals, but stick him a Motherwell team and would he have? Doubt it. That KVV has score so many goals for a bottom 6 team and not win an award is farcical. Not saying Kyogo or any other winners are not very very good players, but it has to be relative.

Personally, I find Celtic fans celebrating one of their players getting goal of the season in an open vote, when clearly it wasn't, pretty cringing to be truthful. It like Usain Bolt winning the dads race at sports day and doing a lap of honour. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

15 hours ago, Toby said:

Wouldn’t say “tinpot” is the word, or if it’s been mentioned elsewhere, but is it not a bit of a dick move by Celtic to hold their own player of the year awards do on the same night as the SPFA awards?

Especially when their players would more than likely be front row and centre when the main awards are being handed out.

No, no, no.

The real tin pottery here is why the SPFA held their awards the same night as Ra Sellic's POTY night. Yet another blatant show of Scottish football's anti-Celtic, anti-Catholic leanings if you ask me. Classless.

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You'd have no winners most years, by the very definition of the word "exceptional".

Standing out from the other eleven would qualify as literally exceptional but there are going to be seasons where nobody really stands out 

and given that half the candidates haven’t been there all season means that the field is not just weak but smaller 

Stephen Robinson,  the man that finally led St Mirren to the top 6 would look like the most fitting choice to me

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Standing out from the other eleven would qualify as literally exceptional but there are going to be seasons where nobody really stands out 

and given that half the candidates haven’t been there all season means that the field is not just weak but smaller 

Stephen Robinson,  the man that finally led St Mirren to the top 6 would look like the most fitting choice to me

Yeah Kettlewell and Robson are the 2 outstanding managers just now, taking over teams that were doing so badly and lifting them to 7th and 3rd, but wouldn't be fair including them in a season's award.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

FFS.

Craig McGuffie scored a sensual volley from inside his own half.

Duk beat about 3 men then backheeled in from 12 yards, leaving half a team on their arse in awe.

For me that was a clear winner here but didnt even make the shortlist 😂