What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/lee-johnson-reckons-hibs-transfer-27239627.amp

We had a double session on Friday and a lot of mileage in the legs. You can see the quality Le Fondre’s got in terms of the link play and his touch. His movement is excellent, he’s a bit like Sergio Aguero for us. He brings others into play and scores goals. He’s got great experience and he’ll help people through games.

5 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/lee-johnson-reckons-hibs-transfer-27239627.amp

We had a double session on Friday and a lot of mileage in the legs. You can see the quality Le Fondre’s got in terms of the link play and his touch. His movement is excellent, he’s a bit like Sergio Aguero for us. He brings others into play and scores goals. He’s got great experience and he’ll help people through games.

Lee Johnson vs Brendan Rodger’s bullshit bingo will be a good laugh this season. 

If Partick didnt want relegated, they should simply have avoided being bottom of the league when the season ended.

14 hours ago, Squonk said:

To be fair to Partick Thistle, they had a genuine grievance in that if they'd played the same number of games as their counterparts they might not have been bottom of the division. They were treated abysmally.

Absolutely, covid was just a conspiracy to relegate Hearts, Partick and Stranraer, just in the off chance they managed to avoid relegation playing the final 8 games.

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Absolutely, covid was just a conspiracy to relegate Hearts, Partick and Stranraer, just in the off chance they managed to avoid relegation playing the final 8 games.

And the jabs were used to brainwash us all into going along with it. It's all so clear now.

23 hours ago, Squonk said:

To be fair to Partick Thistle, they had a genuine grievance in that if they'd played the same number of games as their counterparts they might not have been bottom of the division. They were treated abysmally.

So what would have been an appropriate solution, given the circumstances in play at the time?

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So what would have been an appropriate solution, given the circumstances in play at the time?

Most appropriate solution? Relegate hearts. 
The two managers should have played the game in hand on FM20 online.

Edited by buchan30

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In my defence, if there is one, my comment was made late on a Saturday night under the affluence of incohol. My main point remains valid, IMO, in that Partick Thistle were more adversely affected than any other club. I get that the decision was supposedly made for the greater good (ie self-preservation, or at best indifference, by those not relegated), that points per game was used, and that the subject has been done to death.

I nevertheless wonder what would've happened if the 2019/20 Scottish Cup competition had been cancelled due to the pandemic prior to the quarter-finals, in the same way the league programme was curtailed around the same time. Would the powers that be have declared that all eight quarter-finalists had won the cup, or maybe concocted rules for a ballot to award it to the club with the most votes, or would the cup competition simply be cancelled due to being incomplete? 

Edited by Squonk

10 minutes ago, Squonk said:

My main point remains valid, IMO, in that Partick Thistle were more adversely affected than any other club.

They were? More than Hearts and Stranraer? More than Inverness, Dundee, Ayr, Falkirk, Airdrie, Montrose, Edinburgh City, Elgin, Cowdenbeath, Kelty and Brora?

How so?

21 minutes ago, Squonk said:

I nevertheless wonder what would've happened if the 2019/20 Scottish Cup competition had been cancelled due to the pandemic prior to the quarter-finals, in the same way the league programme was curtailed around the same time. Would the powers that be have declared that all eight quarter-finalists had won the cup, or maybe concocted rules for a ballot to award it to the club with the most votes, or would the cup competition simply be cancelled due to being incomplete?

Why would all 8 quarter-finalists have been in contention? 

27 minutes ago, Squonk said:

In my defence, if there is one, my comment was made late on a Saturday night under the affluence of incohol. My main point remains valid, IMO, in that Partick Thistle were more adversely affected than any other club. I get that the decision was supposedly made for the greater good (ie self-preservation, or at best indifference, by those not relegated), that points per game was used, and that the subject has been done to death.

Very little sense evident here.

How were Patrick Thistle more adversely affected than the other relegated clubs?  It's simply that the margin for them was very close.

I think the fact that unusually big clubs were relegated from both the Premiership and the Championship, firmly establishes that nothing corrupt was playing a part.

Are you advocating that they should simply have scrapped the competitions for the year?  It's a legitimate enough view I suppose, but allowing spoils to be divided after so much of the season had been played, seems more sensible.  Were there not contractual reasons why some notion of 'completion' was required too?

The fact that the Cup was in fact belatedly completed, I think renders your other musings redundant.

Nobody will claim the resolution was ideal, but I really do think it was the best available one.  Of course Thistle were unlucky, and my team was bloody fortunate.  That doesn't make the decision wrong though, or their treatment "abysmal".  Their treatment was instead appropriate in the highly unusual circumstances of the time.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

On 02/07/2023 at 12:59, RandomGuy. said:

If Partick didnt want relegated, they should simply have avoided being bottom of the league when the season ended.

They could have just beaten Dundee United in the last pre Covid game. Instead, they conceded a goal to Dillon Powers and went down. Oh well, whatever, never mind 

7 hours ago, Squonk said:

images.jpeg-10.jpg

I remember initially having a fair bit of sympathy for the affected clubs in that whole scenario (even hearts), and my first instinct was it would be unfair to relegate them. 

Then as the story unfolds and the alternatives were explored it became obvious quite quickly that the points per game scenario was the only feasible option. All talk of reconstruction, whether it was temporary or permanent, would have been madness. So yes, it was very unfortunate and even unfair but it was the least worst option. 

What made it hilarious was the very public and sustained meltdown from all directly involved.