What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

48 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

What part would you miss most ? ? The foul abuse ? The undertow of tribal hatred ?  The whole idea that you can't watch and enjoy a game of football if you're seated in the vicinity of someone who may want another team to win is the very definition of 'moronic' in my opinion. 

That's exactly what it is, your opinion.

I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of football fans would be against mixed seating. You're not, which is fine. Just don't go making condescending comments and jumping to exaggerated conclusions just because someone has a different view.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

That's exactly what it is, your opinion.

I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of football fans would be against mixed seating. You're not, which is fine. Just don't go making condescending comments and jumping to exaggerated conclusions just because someone has a different view.

How long have you posted on football forums? 😂

It's an interesting debate, having mixed seating at football, i can see a lot of pros and cons, and not sure if long term, once people accepted it and got used to it, if it would actually be better. Would certainly be more civilised, and prob have alcohol allowed back into the stadiums during matches. The whole tribalism in grounds would be broken up, which would stop incidents happening inside the ground with things boiling over. 

Big spanner in the works would be The Rangers and Celtic supports, there is no way on earth mixed seating would work, for home games who in their right minds would feel safe sitting in amongst their fans at Celtic Park and Ibrox, they'd still have 50 or 60 thousand fans there, so you couldn't really break it up enough for it to work. Even at their away games it wouldn't seem practical, you just couldn't trust them to behave and not start a fight.

10 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

It's an interesting debate, having mixed seating at football, i can see a lot of pros and cons, and not sure if long term, once people accepted it and got used to it, if it would actually be better. Would certainly be more civilised, and prob have alcohol allowed back into the stadiums during matches. The whole tribalism in grounds would be broken up, which would stop incidents happening inside the ground with things boiling over. 

Big spanner in the works would be The Rangers and Celtic supports, there is no way on earth mixed seating would work, for home games who in their right minds would feel safe sitting in amongst their fans at Celtic Park and Ibrox, they'd still have 50 or 60 thousand fans there, so you couldn't really break it up enough for it to work. Even at their away games it wouldn't seem practical, you just couldn't trust them to behave and not start a fight.

I have done it at Ibrox in the early 80s just after the stadium had been redeveloped. I would have been early teens and was there with my Dad and his pals. We mainly went to see what the ground was like as we normally avoided any away games against either of the OF unless it was a final.

There was no segregation and we weren’t wearing any colours, though that and the fact that we didn’t join in any of the ‘party songs’ probably made us more obvious. I remember an older Gers fan near us realising who we were supporting and advising that as long as we weren’t shouting much or cheering on The Dons we should be Ok. He then said that there had been a bunch of louder Dandies sat where we were and the police had to move them for their safety.

The match was a 0-0 draw so we survived, but there was a close call when Rangers got a penalty and Leighton saved it right in front of us, one of my Dads pals was almost out of his seat cheering.

I personally would have no issues sitting at a game with supporters of any club in the country apart from the gruesome twosome. 

3 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

What part would you miss most ? ? The foul abuse ? The undertow of tribal hatred ?  The whole idea that you can't watch and enjoy a game of football if you're seated in the vicinity of someone who may want another team to win is the very definition of 'moronic' in my opinion. 

For me, a big part of being a Thistle/Scotland fan is being part of the collective "us". Its being surrounded by men and women from all walks of life with vastly different jobs, educations, backgrounds and life experiences that bond together to passionately support the same team towards the same goal, i.e. to win a football match. Yes, its tribal, primitive even, its "us" v "them" and in being that lets me get caught up in something beyond the worries of every day life. If that involved noising up another set of supporters for 90 minutes, then so be it provided it doesnt cross the line of course.

Some of my best moments in supporting Thistle and Scotland involve me going mental celebrating with strangers I had never met and will likely never meet again. But they are not really strangers, because we are part of the same fanbase, part of the same tribe if you like. My opinion is that experience would be diluted if surrounded by fans of another club who didnt have the same goal as me.

You seem to confuse any of that with the notion that no single football fan can be trusted and everything is a hateful cesspit. In my experience its really not. Just last week I walked to and from the Thistle game alongside groups of Inverness fans. Of course there wasnt a problem, why would there be? But once the game starts, its us v them. Those Caley fans would have felt the exact same. We can go back to being pally after the game has finished.

If you disagree, thats fine. If you have a better experience sitting amongst fans of other clubs, good for you. But dont call me or anyone else a moron and tar football fans with the same brush because you cant see past the vile sections of certain fanbases.

3 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Some of my best moments in supporting Thistle and Scotland involve me going mental celebrating with strangers I had never met and will likely never meet again. But they are not really strangers, because we are part of the same fanbase, part of the same tribe if you like. My opinion is that experience would be diluted if surrounded by fans of another club who didnt have the same goal as me.

Spot on, but especially that part.

I wouldn't want mixed seating at all. Think back to the best and worst moments supporting your club and imagine what they would have been like with mixed seating. The only time I've ever left a match early was actually an ice hockey away game. We were sat intermingled with opposing fans cheering while our season came crashing down. Horrid. At least at Dingwall last season the whole stand suffered together. I'm a lover not a fighter, but if there were County fans around me that day then it wouldn't have been somewhere I would have wanted to be in the slightest.

Players get yellow cards for celebrating metres away from opposing fans. Imagine that but in the seat next to you.

There'd also be a big effect on atmosphere. Even within a club's own support we self-segregate into sections with the "ultras", those who like a song, and those who want to sup their Bovril with a rug keeping them warm. Why on Earth would you want to sprinkle Dunfermline or Ayr fans in amongst all that? I really don't see the benefit.

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

These types of rules don't actually have to be applied to every club though.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

These types of rules don't actually have to be applied to every club though.

True, not sure they'd be brave enough to introduce mixed seating and exclude those two, esp if it meant you could then be allowed to sell alcohol inside grounds during games. Would be karma if they did though, was because of their fans everyone else had the alcohol ban imposed on them in the first. place.

15 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

True, not sure they'd be brave enough to introduce mixed seating and exclude those two, esp if it meant you could then be allowed to sell alcohol inside grounds during games. Would be karma if they did though, was because of their fans everyone else had the alcohol ban imposed on them in the first. place.

Why would mixed seating somehow mean alcohol could be sold in grounds?

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Why would mixed seating somehow mean alcohol could be sold in grounds?

You'd think it would anyway, maybe not straight off but if after a season there were no major incidents there'd be a good argument for it. Tbh i don't think there still should be a ban anyway, the introduction of seated stadiums made a difference to how fans watched games too, however the erse cheek fans get away with ignoring that rule too. Really it should only be Celtic and The Rangers fans banned from buying alcohol inside grounds, but the authorities were/are too weak to impose the ban exclusively on them.

8 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

You'd think it would anyway, maybe not straight off but if after a season there were no major incidents there'd be a good argument for it. Tbh i don't think there still should be a ban anyway, the introduction of seated stadiums made a difference to how fans watched games too, however the erse cheek fans get away with ignoring that rule too. Really it should only be Celtic and The Rangers fans banned from buying alcohol inside grounds, but the authorities were/are too weak to impose the ban exclusively on them.

I’d imagine if we were to lift the alcohol ban then it would mirror the law in England which prevents you consuming alcohol from anywhere with a view of the pitch.

So we’d only be able to have a beer in the concourses so mixed seating and seated stadiums would likely be a bit of a moot point anyway.

Edited by AJF

3 hours ago, AJF said:

I’d imagine if we were to lift the alcohol ban then it would mirror the law in England which prevents you consuming alcohol from anywhere with a view of the pitch.

So we’d only be able to have a beer in the concourses so mixed seating and seated stadiums would likely be a bit of a moot point anyway.

Cheers, didn't know how they did it in England, just knew they didn't have a ban now. Is it just Scotland that still bans alcohol being sold inside grounds during a game?

Feels weird when i went to a Scotland rugby game at Murrayfield, and walked past policemen into the stadium carrying a couple of plastic bottles of beer, really felt like i was doing something wrong. c***s have got me conditioned into that thinking after years of the ban being imposed on the football fans.

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Cheers, didn't know how they did it in England, just knew they didn't have a ban now. Is it just Scotland that still bans alcohol being sold inside grounds during a game?

Feels weird when i went to a Scotland rugby game at Murrayfield, and walked past policemen into the stadium carrying a couple of plastic bottles of beer, really felt like i was doing something wrong. c***s have got me conditioned into that thinking after years of the ban being imposed on the football fans.

I’m not entirely sure to be honest. It just seems farcical and outdated. Even junior football is impacted. I remember being at a junior match in the clubhouse pre-match. Full bar set up with windows looking out onto the pitch. It was absolutely horrible outside so I thought I’d just stay inside and sip a beer while watching the game, but as soon as the game kicked off, they had to roll down the blinds. Madness.

And aye, I totally get what you mean as I went last year to Murrayfield and felt the exact same. 

2 hours ago, AJF said:

I’m not entirely sure to be honest. It just seems farcical and outdated. Even junior football is impacted. I remember being at a junior match in the clubhouse pre-match. Full bar set up with windows looking out onto the pitch. It was absolutely horrible outside so I thought I’d just stay inside and sip a beer while watching the game, but as soon as the game kicked off, they had to roll down the blinds. Madness.

And aye, I totally get what you mean as I went last year to Murrayfield and felt the exact same. 

I've never seen that happen in about 20 years of going to junior grounds.

I don't think they are covered by the same law. I understood the law refers to "designated sporting events". Anything below LL/HL doesn't come under that jurisdiction.

On 04/04/2024 at 12:18, VincentGuerin said:

You "achieved" all this with a completely unsustainable model and your town are still completely uninterested. You're on your way to the lower leagues, and then oblivion.

That's failure.

That has to be the most arrogant post of the day!
Yes Livvy haven’t continued the massive support they had as a new team (manager) bounce, the area has had to compete with not jut the bigots but Edinburg and they still have a support. Only in Scotland would this be seen as a bad thing !!