What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

On 05/11/2023 at 13:25, Derry Alli said:

I remember Mr McIndoe as a player. Never could I have looked at him and thought he'd be this clichè ridden.

On 05/11/2023 at 16:01, parsforlife said:

Also WTF is going on with his accent? it changes every third word

On 06/11/2023 at 07:17, LuboMoravcik said:

😂

On 06/11/2023 at 07:22, Salvo Montalbano said:

Thought he wasn't going to be doing interviews? I assumed it was down to his past but maybe there's another reason...

On 06/11/2023 at 12:24, thistledo said:

Reminding me of Gary Caldwell with some of that pish. That was awful. 

On 06/11/2023 at 13:32, AMMjag said:

He wrote a Walter Mitty memoir despite playing no higher than the EFL, after bankrupting himself opening a London private member's club. It's no surprise he fancies himself as a Roy Keane tribute act given his career as a professional fantasist.

On 06/11/2023 at 14:55, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

His Wiki page has a hilarious 'International career' section. Especially when his peak years mostly coincided with the Vogts era.

On 06/11/2023 at 15:00, Scooby_Doo said:

I think he's watched too many Steve Clarke interviews and thought 'If I sound like Clarke, maybe I'll get his results'

On 06/11/2023 at 17:54, Empty It said:

Christ what an absolute fanny, it was like an impression of a manager being interviewed, a bad impression. 

On 07/11/2023 at 09:40, Squirrelhumper said:

I couldn't watch it to the end, was cringing for him. 

Meanwhile...

7 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

The fact anyone gives any sort of flying f**k about the utterly meaningless, zero worthwhile reward, tinpot League Cup, is completely tinpot.

You better tell that to the Dundee FC web admin then

https://dundeefc.co.uk/club/history/honours/

Take away the league cup and you are down to 2 major trophies and over 61 years since one was in the Dens Park trophy cabinet 

2 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

You better tell that to the Dundee FC web admin then

https://dundeefc.co.uk/club/history/honours/

Take away the league cup and you are down to 2 major trophies and over 61 years since one was in the Dens Park trophy cabinet 

The fundamental difference is the League Cup did actually carry some worthwhile reward back then, did until fairly recently, and therefore carried some degree of cache and prestige for the winner.

These days it's of as much relevance as the Tunnocks/B&Q/Whatever the f**k they call it cup that the Championship and below compete in.

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

The fundamental difference is the League Cup did actually carry some worthwhile reward back then, did until fairly recently, and therefore carried some degree of cache and prestige for the winner.

These days it's of as much relevance as the Tunnocks/B&Q/Whatever the f**k they call it cup that the Championship and below compete in.

So when Dundee make another final appearance at some point, would you go?

59 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The fact that football authorities in this country think it’s normal to have a National cup final at a “neutral” venue with one team being given, at the outset, the majority of tickets and also given the same end of the stadium every single time they play there, is as tin pot as it gets. And the fact that they don’t see any of that as an issue, is even more tin pot.

'Tin Pot' is too cuddly a term. Let's call it what it is - corrupt

It ceased to be a "major" trophy the moment they took away the continental qualification for the winner. It doesn't even carry any significant prize money, so evidently it's not even considered a prestige trophy by those who organise, or sponsor it. 

The change to the pre-season format was overdue and welcome, but that in and of itself betrays the fact it just does not carry the same importance as the two genuinely "major" honours. The fact there is the arse-end of a knock-out competition tacked on just further saturates a calendar that already contains far too much football. If the whole competition disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't be missed.

Presumably the people who still regard it as "major" also consider the Tennent's Sixes a "major" trophy? After all, it was a national competition.

Edited by Boo Khaki

28 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The Scottish League cup is a national cup competition.  It's one of the only two national competitions that non-Old Firm teams have a hope of winning.  It's a major competition.  Saying it's meaningless, with no reward is just odd.  The reward is winning the cup.  Football is about winning trophies.

Easy for you to say

I've been calling it mickey mouse cup since it was first devalued in 1991

Your arguments make some logical sense and I commend you on how you put them forward, but are you seriously saying I should suddenly become a hypocrite on this issue?