The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Just now, EdTheDuck said:

To be sure I've never bought into the whole 'he wanted to sell Pittodrie for hooses' thing. He doesn't need to. His hooses are fucking everywhere (including poshknobs Cheshire). 

Whatever, he has made a proper dog's dinner of running a football club and Derek McInnes has probably saved him from flaming torches and pitchforks over the last five years, although you get the feeling that feelgood may be tarnishing a bit. As Fatshaft says above, the success or failure of this new stadium will go a long way to defining whether he is seen as an unmitigated disaster or snatching glory from the jaws of that failure.

Good post.

20 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Since I don't want to get Pie and Bovril shut down and Div sued, I will only remark that some nameless people have suggested that it would have been beneficial to the pocket of Milne if he had engineered such a decline of Pittodrie and have houses built around the perimeter to make redevelopment impossible.

Oh wise up you utter twat. Nobody with a functioning brain believes that. He's been at the helm for 25 years. Pittodrie is in Linksfield, not Bieldside. He'd be fucking aff his nut to chase such a cheap land bank for so long, having to put in so much effort. Of course the final nail in your stupidity is that he can;t even bid on the Pittodrie land. What a gype

3 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

Oh wise up you utter twat. Nobody with a functioning brain believes that. He's been at the helm for 25 years. Pittodrie is in Linksfield, not Bieldside. He'd be fucking aff his nut to chase such a cheap land bank for so long, having to put in so much effort. Of course the final nail in your stupidity is that he can;t even bid on the Pittodrie land. What a gype

It's a very eloquent post, Mrs Milne.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

Had a quick flick through. There is a line about no development may be undertaken unless the TRO is granted for the controlled parking zone? That could mean the locals still have avenues to hold up if it is the case. 

I think that line was more like "the stadium can't be used" until the traffic stuff is sorted, so wouldn't stop any building work. Just needs to be in place before the 1st game.

Following the outcome of the judicial review, AFC Chairman Stewart Milne commented, “The outcome of the judicial review is welcome news for the club, the Council and the wider region.  We can now confidently complete phase one, the community sports hub and training facilities, and start moving towards delivery of phase two, AFC’s new stadium."

28 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Sounds more like jealousy to me mate from some fans of other clubs,I think it's a great move for Aberdeen and I'm a Livi fan.

Why am I surprised that a fan of Livingston Football Club sees no problem playing a soulless bowl of a ground?

55 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Why am I surprised that a fan of Livingston Football Club sees no problem playing a soulless bowl of a ground?

When does atmosphere become important? Aberdeen will maintain the same crowd size, are in a part of the City which will probably find itself built around in the future.

Saints moved from Muirton, a "charismatic ground within walking distance of the city centre", to a soulless Lego stadium in, at the time, the arse of the place, and it's a move that saved the club and has led us to where we are.

Crowd size is virtually the same as the average at Muirton, and it's now within walking distance for the majority of people in Perth, and theres about to be 3000 houses built within a five minute drive of it too, with a road leading straight into the car park.

Only difference is we didn't have to pay for the stadium.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

When does atmosphere become important? Aberdeen will maintain the same crowd size, are in a part of the City which will probably find itself built around in the future.

Saints moved from Muirton, a "charismatic ground within walking distance of the city centre", to a soulless Lego stadium in, at the time, the arse of the place, and it's a move that saved the club and has led us to where we are.

Crowd size is virtually the same as the average at Muirton, and it's now within walking distance for the majority of people in Perth, and theres about to be 3000 houses built within a five minute drive of it too, with a road leading straight into the car park.

A sensible post regarding AFC from RG. :P

5c797ff46b255_tenor(1).gif.c93832ea3b8046454b46a1d8ed7e5212.gif

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aberdeen absolutely will not maintain the same crowd size, after a season or two it will quickly wear off.

Ask yourself, what right-minded young Aberdeen fan (the next generation of supporter, remember) who is from the city will want to go 7 miles out to watch Aberdeen vs Accies on a Wednesday night in February?

It is pretty much just gentrification. They might as well just say 'only bother coming if you've got a car, a family and will sit there quietly and behave yourself. And just to make sure you will, there'll only be one stadium bar and absolutely zero pubs nearby.' It's a disaster of a move from fan experience perspective, there's just no debate to be had there.

Edited by HibsFan

4 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Aberdeen absolutely will not maintain the same crowd size, after a season or two it will quickly wear off.

Ask yourself, what right-minded young Aberdeen fan (the next generation of supporter, remember) who is from the city will want to go 7 miles out to watch Aberdeen vs Accies on a Wednesday night in February?

It is pretty much just gentrification. They might as well just say 'only bother coming if you've got a car, a family and will sit there quietly and behave yourself. And just to make sure you will, there'll only be one stadium bar and absolutely zero pubs nearby.' It's a disaster of a move from fan experience perspective, there's just no debate to be had there.

I mean, I literally gave you an exact example of a club moving away from the city centre and maintaining a crowd.

The final few seasons at Muirton, a five minute walk from a Saints Supporters Club, averaged 2000 fans, fwiw. The new stadium was a 40 minute walk.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, I literally gave you an exact example of a club moving away from the city centre and maintaining a crowd.

Muirton to McDiarmid and Pittodrie to Kingsford aren't remotely comparable, let's be honest here.

It's like a half an hour walk maximum between the two sites.

It would take two and a half hours along an A-Road to get to Kingsford from Pittodrie.

10 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

They won't care as long as new supporters fill the space.

3 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Muirton to McDiarmid and Pittodrie to Kingsford aren't remotely comparable, let's be honest here.

It's like a half an hour walk maximum between the two sites.

It would take two and a half hours along an A-Road to get to Kingsford from Pittodrie.

It’s Friday night 

Go outside and get some fresh air man 

1 minute ago, Frank Grimes said:

It’s Friday night 

Go outside and get some fresh air man 

The worst type of Pie and Bovril post imaginable. :lol:

Shall we even bother with the whole "I'm going out later actually", "no you're not", "yeah I am" routine?