The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

8 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Muirton to McDiarmid and Pittodrie to Kingsford aren't remotely comparable, let's be honest here.

It's like a half an hour walk maximum between the two sites.

It would take two and a half hours along an A-Road to get to Kingsford from Pittodrie.

And a 15 minute drive? Sadly, the fans who go to the pub pre-match then walk in are falling, you're more likely to find people will bus in an hour or two before, use the stadium bar before and after the game, then bus it back, I know folk from Scone who do that for Saints games.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And a 15 minute drive? Sadly, the fans who go to the pub pre-match then walk in are falling, you're more likely to find people will bus in an hour or two before, use the stadium bar before and after the game, then bus it back, I know folk from Scone who do that for Saints games.

This might simply come down to Edinburgh vs other cities, but I can tell you for a fact that it's not remotely falling in Leith. The pubs are more rammed than they've ever been and while people might get a cross-city bus in from the West or South or drive from the Lothians, most are walking to Easter Road and almost nobody uses our pish 'Behind the Goals' bar apart from folk with kids.

2 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

This might simply come down to Edinburgh vs other cities, but I can tell you for a fact that it's not remotely falling in Leith. The pubs are more rammed than they've ever been and while people might get a cross-city bus in from the West or South or drive from the Lothians, most are walking to Easter Road and almost nobody uses our pish 'Behind the Goals' bar apart from folk with kids.

The Edinburgh clubs, and Dundee clubs, are in an incredibly fortunate position in terms of where their stadiums are situated. Pittodrie isn't even close to that as it is.

I don't think any new build stadium will be built in a city centre ever again, theres just not the room.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Why am I surprised that a fan of Livingston Football Club sees no problem playing a soulless bowl of a ground?

Hibs Fan having an absolute meltdown here.

The new stadium is on the edge of the city right now but in the years to come that will not be the case.

Westhill is close by,as is Kingswells for a drink,get your self there the 1st time Hibs play at the Kingsford and annoy the nimbys that reside there.

Yeah Easter Road is well placed and is a cracking stadium,but Pittodrie is finished and this move is a massive boost to Aberdeen and surrounding area.

As for the Spaghettihad,I fookin love oor wee fitba bowl,especially section C3.

Edited by Whitburn Vale

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The Edinburgh clubs, and Dundee clubs, are in an incredibly fortunate position in terms of where their stadiums are situated. Pittodrie isn't even close to that as it is.

I don't think any new build stadium will be built in a city centre ever again, theres just not the room.

Pittodrie is a 25-minute walk from the city centre, pretty much the same as the stadiums in Edinburgh and Dundee.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

pubs next to pittodrie will probably end up running buses on matchdays. that's what  pubs round Brockville do now,  as for the crowds they go up and down depending on how well the teams doing and the feel good factor, hard to say how much the distance and soulesness of TFS  had an effect on crowds,  Brockville closed 16 years ago so it would be a bit unfair to compare like for like now as the footballing world has moved on even in that time

1 minute ago, Darren said:

Pittodrie is a 25-minute walk from the city centre, pretty much the same as the stadiums in Edinburgh and Dundee.

You know what I meant.

12 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Aberdeen absolutely will not maintain the same crowd size, after a season or two it will quickly wear off.

Ask yourself, what right-minded young Aberdeen fan (the next generation of supporter, remember) who is from the city will want to go 7 miles out to watch Aberdeen vs Accies on a Wednesday night in February?

It is pretty much just gentrification. They might as well just say 'only bother coming if you've got a car, a family and will sit there quietly and behave yourself. And just to make sure you will, there'll only be one stadium bar and absolutely zero pubs nearby.' It's a disaster of a move from fan experience perspective, there's just no debate to be had there.

You keep posting without reading what's been said before, nor seemingly having a clue about our fan demographics.

Half the fans come from outside the city *now*, with the ease of access, this is likely to leap considerably.  Yes, some from the east end of the city won't be able to walk to kingsford, others will be that can't now. 

There's also currently 5 pubs in walking distance plus the stadium bar, and if the golf club and red star don't run shuttle buses too then they're bonkers. So no not "zero pubs nearby" 

You clearly have no idea about the location, please stop commenting, 

Edited by fatshaft

On 01/03/2019 at 20:33, effeffsee_the2nd said:

pubs next to pittodrie will probably end up running buses on matchdays. that's what  pubs round Brockville do now,  as for the crowds they go up and down depending on how well the teams doing and the feel good factor, hard to say how much the distance and soulesness of TFS  had an effect on crowds,  Brockville closed 16 years ago so it would be a bit unfair to compare like for like now as the footballing world has moved on even in that time

Hopefully the new stadium doesn’t end up like Falkirk’s. 

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 07:15, fatshaft said:

You keep posting without reading what's been said before, nor seemingly having a clue about our fan demographics.

Half the fans come from outside the city *now*, with the ease of access, this is likely to leap considerably.  Yes, some from the east end of the city won't be able to walk to kingsford, others will be that can't now. 

There's also currently 5 pubs in walking distance plus the stadium bar, and if the golf club and red star don't run shuttle buses too then they're bonkers. So no not "zero pubs nearby" 

The lad was obviously bored and went for a wind up without having any facts to string it out.

On 3/3/2019 at 11:12, Falcor Roar said:

I notice that the Reebok/Macron Stadium is miles outside Bolton - nearly in Wigan infact. At least this stadium won't be closer to a town with their own team. 

I recall being on a course in Manchester and visiting that stadium for a midweek match vs Bristol City around 1999 and it was utterly soulless and put me off the 'out of town' model for life.

I had also been to Burnden Park in 1993, bizarrely for an FA Cup tie vs Gretna (where Coyle/McGinlay scored if I recall), and it was a proper old school town centre ground with a great day out in the surrounding boozers.

Edited by tarapoa

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

I recall being on a course in Manchester and visiting that stadium for a midweek match vs Bristol City around 1999 and it was utterly soulless and put me off the 'out of town' model for life.

I had also been to Burnden Park in 1993, bizarrely for an FA Cup tie vs Gretna (where Coyle/McGinlay scored if I recall), and it was a proper old school town centre ground with a great day out in the surrounding boozers.

but selling Burnden Park saved the club from going to the wall at the time ...... they had no options really.

.... and contrariwise, I believe they are in the financial grubber once again.......

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/03/2019 at 08:15, fatshaft said:

Which 5 'pubs' are these? 

I notice that the Reebok/Macron Stadium is miles outside Bolton - nearly in Wigan infact. At least this stadium won't be closer to a town with their own team. 

I haven’t had the chance to check, but I’d bet Bolton’s attendances in the Reebok surpass Blundell Park, also Derby County at Pride Park compared to the County ground.

There’s is a new ground bounce, no one really knows how it’ll pan out but I’m not sure we should get excited by Hibs Fan proclaiming its all doom and gloom

5 hours ago, scottorae said:

I haven’t had the chance to check, but I’d bet Bolton’s attendances in the Reebok surpass Blundell Park, also Derby County at Pride Park compared to the County ground.

They do but it's important not to confuse correlation with causality

The Reebok and Pride Park both opened in 1997 when the game all over England was fast emerging from the doldrums. Euro '96 was still fresh in the memory, Baddiel and Skinner  were still funny, Alan Shearer had hair.

By the end of the '90s almost everybody's attendances were higher than they had been in 1990 whether they'd moved to an out of town new build or redeveloped their existing site.