Orange Order "Charm Offensive"

Jason King

14 hours ago, coprolite said:

I don’t see why roads should be closed or why  funding for extra police should be made available.  Do they contribute to costs, like a football club?

What about the local Boys Brigade marches, should we not bother closing roads for them either?

And yes, I believe that they do contribute to the costs of policing during their marches.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/4/2018 at 10:56, ONeils40yarder said:

I'm going to have a bash at defending them...we live in a society that apparently allows 'freedom of speech', we can't just go around banning orange walks from existence because we don't particularly like the message.

This is utter pish as well. Nobody is stopping the OO from organising a walk around their organisation's privately owned grounds or hosting any other event inside their halls; so long as it complies with laws regarding hate speech etc. Which the leadership surely have no problems complying with if they're a legit organisation. So they're not being banned from existence at all. They should not however have the right to routinely block public highways - policed either at the taxpayers' expense or their own - to express the views of a private organisation. 

Fairly straightforward stuff tbh. 

So we're comfortable that we're banning all public processions then, blocking public highways?  Personally I sat behind a funeral cortege on Wednesday night as they trooped their deceased friend/family member off to the local pineapple...I took that one on the chin.

Indyref marches (remember I'm a supporter of Independence), but what is the difference between these and the OO walks?

I'm sure there are also commemorative marches in and around Culloden, Elderslie and Bannockburn to pay tribute to times gone past.

In my home town, the main street is blocked off annually for our Street Fair...ban that? Or what about when the Main Street is blocked by the Boys Brigade and other groups during the Remembrance Day Parade?

Last time I was in Glasgow, I had to change my course of direction as the Hare Krishnas were bounding up Buchanan Street.

Gay Pride? I've been in the City Centre when this is on...what a racket, and I had to wait on it passing before I could cross the road.

I get that you don't like the Orange Order...I'm not a fan either...but I understand why they feel the need to parade and don't really see the harm in it, as long as they can control those that are spectating

2 minutes ago, ONeils40yarder said:

So we're comfortable that we're banning all public processions then, blocking public highways?  Personally I sat behind a funeral cortege on Wednesday night as they trooped their deceased friend/family member off to the local pineapple...I took that one on the chin.

Indyref marches (remember I'm a supporter of Independence), but what is the difference between these and the OO walks?

I'm sure there are also commemorative marches in and around Culloden, Elderslie and Bannockburn to pay tribute to times gone past.

In my home town, the main street is blocked off annually for our Street Fair...ban that? Or what about when the Main Street is blocked by the Boys Brigade and other groups during the Remembrance Day Parade?

Last time I was in Glasgow, I had to change my course of direction as the Hare Krishnas were bounding up Buchanan Street.

Gay Pride? I've been in the City Centre when this is on...what a racket, and I had to wait on it passing before I could cross the road.

I get that you don't like the Orange Order...I'm not a fan either...but I understand why they feel the need to parade and don't really see the harm in it, as long as they can control those that are spectating

That was just the OO in their pyjamas.

A funeral cortege does not 'block' a highway in any other way than a traffic jam does. A street fair is not a private organisation but instead a public event. Independence rallies are similarly a public demonstration; a private political party holding a march through the streets is an entirely different matter. 

The principle is very straightforward: private organisations do not have the right to close public highways for a parade or any other activity, unless there is a clear interest (such as public safety) to do so. Which does not apply to the OO wobbling their way through Glasgow city centre or anywhere else in the summer. 

I understand why they feel the need to parade 

What 'need' do they have to parade? Be extremely specific. 

2 hours ago, ONeils40yarder said:

What about the local Boys Brigade marches, should we not bother closing roads for them either?

And yes, I believe that they do contribute to the costs of policing during their marches.

Fair play if they pay for the police. They should still be run over with lorries though (accidentally of course, I am not advocating any criminal activity).

Is the boys brigade not just the youth wing?

I went to cubs. There was no marching.

cubs could batter the boys brigade. The brownies could batter the boys brigade.

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

A funeral cortege does not 'block' a highway in any other way than a traffic jam does. A street fair is not a private organisation but instead a public event. Independence rallies are similarly a public demonstration; a private political party holding a march through the streets is an entirely different matter. 

The principle is very straightforward: private organisations do not have the right to close public highways for a parade or any other activity, unless there is a clear interest (such as public safety) to do so. Which does not apply to the OO wobbling their way through Glasgow city centre or anywhere else in the summer. 

What 'need' do they have to parade? Be extremely specific. 

Pure waffle

As for their 'need', probably the wrong word to use...I understand why they 'want' to parade

I wouldn't say 'waffle'; your comparison of the OO to Hari Krishnas or a funeral cortege was more 'whataboutery' and 'utter pish'. Par for the course for your efforts so far then. 

As for their 'need', probably the wrong word to use...I understand why they 'want' to parade

So they don't have a need. I couldn't care less why they 'want' to parade; they're a private organisation, it is a public highway, so they have no right to do so. They can fulfill their desire to parade in the privacy of their own halls and private property.

It was definitely waffle...you seem to have an issue with the OO blocking your roads, while more than comfortable with;

Funeral corteges blocking the road, and it added at least 5mins onto the journey I was undertaking...why do they need to go so fucking slowly?

Hare Krishnas are definitely more annoying than the OO, dancing right in front of shops, scaring weans and playing instruments incredibly badly

Independence Rallies...you've still not properly answered why these are OK 

The commemorative rallies at Bannockburn, Culloden etc...these are ok too?

Remembrance Sunday Parades?

The Street Fair, is ran by a community group, and heavily supported by a private organisation for their profit.

For what its worth, I live directly on a main road, and see plenty Orange Walks from my window...they are gone past in 5minutes max, unless its that almighty big one that happens once in a blue moon...it has no negative impact on my life what so ever. In fact I feel positively better about myself, that I have no part in it. 

Why don't the scummy shitebag orange order twats hire out  big field or hall?

Oh, that's right, because then they couldn't noise folk up.

Anyone involved with them, or who supports them, is, without exception, a dreadful dribbling bag of shite masquerading as an attempt at humanity.

32 minutes ago, ONeils40yarder said:

The public have a right to free assembly; private organisations do not on a public highway. Scotrail employees do not have a right to parade along Saint Vincent Street on a Saturday afternoon; the OO don't either.  Hari Krishnas do not block roads; nor do commemorations in a field like Bannockburn and Culloden. 

An absolute swingball of deflection and whataboutery from yourself then.

It was definitely waffle...you seem to have an issue with the OO blocking your roads, while more than comfortable with;

Funeral corteges blocking the road, and it added at least 5mins onto the journey I was undertaking...why do they need to go so fucking slowly?
Hare Krishnas are definitely more annoying than the OO, dancing right in front of shops, scaring weans and playing instruments incredibly badly
The commemorative rallies at Bannockburn, Culloden etc...these are ok too?
Remembrance Sunday Parades?
The Street Fair, is ran by a community group, and heavily supported by a private organisation for their profit.

For what its worth, I live directly on a main road, and see plenty Orange Walks from my window...they are gone past in 5minutes max, unless its that almighty big one that happens once in a blue moon...it has no negative impact on my life what so ever. In fact I feel positively better about myself, that I have no part in it. 

The difference has been explained, you’re just too thick to understand it.

Comparing them to a fucking funeral as well. Jesus Christ.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

The public have a right to free assembly; private organisations do not on a public highway. Scotrail employees do not have a right to parade along Saint Vincent Street on a Saturday afternoon; the OO don't either.  Hari Krishnas do not block roads; nor do commemorations in a field like Bannockburn and Culloden. 

An absolute swingball of deflection and whataboutery from yourself then.

Thats a fucking belter of a field that they are parading in...

...as for the Independence Rallies, these were co-ordinated by Yes Scotland.

E2XT9D.jpg

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The difference has been explained, you’re just too thick to understand it.

Comparing them to a fucking funeral as well. Jesus Christ.

...and here we are with the personal abuse.

The funeral held me back, just like the Orange Walk can do, which seems to be the big issue for the Morton supporter. Seriously though, why do they need to walk the body from a hoose to a chapel. Get in a car and get the foot down

Archived