Orange Order "Charm Offensive"

Jason King

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, yoda said:

I think it has occurred most years in Inverness for at least the past decade. It's an "Apprentice Boys of Derry" march and was initially started up by the local Rangers supporters club (they argued against this, of course, but the evidence said otherwise*) presumably as a way for the Highland **** to bask in how #staunch they are, whilst most locals are just ignorant to what the whole thing is.

It's daft as f**k and is blatantly an attempt for a bunch of idiots to get one over on Highland Celtic fans. 

*started by a member of the Rangers Supporters Club + they met up and practiced at the local Rangers supporters club + the obvious link between a large element of Rangers fans and loyalist marches

Funniest thing about the Rangers Club is they had to sell up and it's now an Islamic centre. :lol:

On 4/2/2018 at 15:01, Glenconner said:

Wonder if Devine has ever seen an Orange Walk?

I done seen 'about everythin' when I seen an elephant fly.

20 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

I had a run in with a group of orangemen coming back from a game in Dingwall a few years ago. They had been at a walk in Inverness and were heading back to Perth. Unsurprisingly, they were pure scum. 

I was surprised to encounter something like that in the Highlands as we’re often told that sectarianism is a west coast problem.

Stories need to be told, HJ.

On 4/2/2018 at 14:19, Peppino Impastato said:

Anyone that even attempts to defend orange walks existence is an absolute bellend who humanity would be better off without and deserves to be fired into the sun.

I'm going to have a bash at defending them...we live in a society that apparently allows 'freedom of speech', we can't just go around banning orange walks from existence because we don't particularly like the message.

47 minutes ago, ONeils40yarder said:

I'm going to have a bash at defending them...we live in a society that apparently allows 'freedom of speech', we can't just go around banning orange walks from existence because we don't particularly like the message.

Aye we can.  What about Nazi walks?  And our society actually quite strictly limits freedom of speech

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How is that even similar?

In what way is it not similar...both have thousands of people attending, both have people who are pro and against them. 

I'm not a member of the Orange lodge, I wouldnt even class myself as a protestant, I'm a Scottish Nationalist...I don't attend these things, but I don't see what the big hullabuloo about them is. Yes, there are some arseholes that attend these things and yes, they can be a pain in the arse if you get caught behind one, but the same could be said about the Independence Rallies when they were taking over Buchanan Street.

In what way is it not similar...both have thousands of people attending, both have people who are pro and against them. 

You could say that about a whole load of things. A football match or a gig.

The OO is a Protestant supremacy group who march to celebrate a battle where they killed Catholics hundreds of years ago, an association associated with paramilitary groups, they actively match in areas they shouldn’t just to cause trouble, a sectarian hate group.

How is that similar to a pro or even an anti independence rally? Or any other peaceful political rally?

Independence rallies are generally held in George Square or similar places and cause minimal disruption. Orange walks take place in the city centre of Glasgow on multiple occasions and bring traffic to a standstill. I imagine it's largely similar across the rest of the country. Even Pride is limited to one day and largely goes on in Glasgow Green and that's despite them actually blasting out some decent tunes and not looking like mutants.

7 hours ago, ONeils40yarder said:

Walking isn’t speech.

I don’t see why they should be banned. I don’t see why roads should be closed or why  funding for extra police should be made available.  Do they contribute to costs, like a football club?

In summary, they should be allowed to walk in public along busy roads with trucks on them.

2 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

The problem with the OO & the marches isn’t the disruption they cause, it’s the message they convey while they causing the disruption. A vile institution that have no “charm”.

Well, they generally do what's said on the tin. I have more of an issue with the followers pissing, shitting and puking on the steps of the close, or the 'celebratory' performances after the pubs shut. I am sure religious piety and Christian brotherhood isn't supposed to be that in yer face.

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The OO is a Protestant supremacy group who march to celebrate a battle where they killed Catholics hundreds of years ago

Cheap posting.  The OO celebrates a decisive battle between a king subject to parliament vs a king who thought parliament should be subject to him.  Thus parliamentary supremacy vs monarchical suzerainty.

Pretty-much everyone agrees that the outcome of the Glorious Revolution  was a good thing and that The Boyne, whilst itself a bit of a skirmish, was a decisive win for the Papal-backed Prince of Orange.

That some folk want to remember the establishment of parliamentary democracy in a tuneful and colourful manner can only lauded.

7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Cheap posting.  The OO celebrates a decisive battle between a king subject to parliament vs a king who thought parliament should be subject to him.  Thus parliamentary supremacy vs monarchical suzerainty.

Pretty-much every agrees that the outcome of the Glorious Revolution  was a good thing and that The Boyne, whilst itself a bit of a skirmish, was a decisive win for the Papal-backed Prince of Orange.

That some folk want to remember the establishment of parliamentary democracy in a tuneful and colourful manner can only lauded.

Tis a pity you spoiled your post with that last sentence. :yucky

Pretty-much every agrees that the outcome of the Glorious Revolution  was a good thing and that The Boyne, whilst itself a bit of a skirmish, was a decisive win for the Papal-backed Prince of Orange.
If this is the official pr line then it's a good one. It's certainly got no connection with the actual marches, or the individuals taking part in them.

I feel sorry for your children

31 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

If this is the official pr line then it's a good one. It's certainly got no connection with the actual marches, or the individuals taking part in them.

Well as I've said before, it's about 40 years since I was an OO member but I always saw it as a celebration of the Glorious Revolution and of the 1689 Bill of Rights.  I doubt much has changed.

Edit: Most Orangemen I have known don't resemble anything like they are depicted on here.

Archived