Post split fixtures

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/02/2018 at 20:56, hate cheats said:

why do people not stand up and say that the S/F/A/ are full of little hitlers  who got into the job through handshakes ..and i would not let them run a raffle.. the great split is crap  go back and have 2 leagues . one of 20 and the rest in the second 3 up 3 down   . the second first 2 up next 4 play off... first bottom 2 down next 2 play off to stay up.. then we will not have usless 5 or 6 weeks with nothing to play for...but they are to stupid  and will not change because they  did not think of this.. untill we get rid of these OLD FARTS scottish football is going down the drain

Your profile suggests you support the National team rather than a club side, you will therefore be more exposed to the shortcomings of the SFA than I am, however no blame can be attached to them with regard this matter, this falls solely under the remit of the SPFL board who draw up the fixture lists for the 4 leagues, the split after 33 Premiership games leads to many unsatisfactory post split fixture lists but it is impossible to have an equal 19/19 split in the current set up, I do agree with your assesment of the blazer brigade within the confines of Hampden, our game requires a total overhaul by football people and not by hired businessmen .

38 minutes ago, happyaccie said:

Your profile suggests you support the National team rather than a club side, you will therefore be more exposed to the shortcomings of the SFA than I am, however no blame can be attached to them with regard this matter, this falls solely under the remit of the SPFL board who draw up the fixture lists for the 4 leagues, the split after 33 Premiership games leads to many unsatisfactory post split fixture lists but it is impossible to have an equal 19/19 split in the current set up, I do agree with your assesment of the blazer brigade within the confines of Hampden, our game requires a total overhaul by football people and not by hired businessmen .

Yes because that would definitely get rid of any agendas, real or perceived.

I like the split, although it's clearly flawed. The idea of two huge leagues gives me ebola.

31 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yes because that would definitely get rid of any agendas, real or perceived.

I like the split, although it's clearly flawed. The idea of two huge leagues gives me ebola.

Reverting back to two huge leagues would be the death of the game in Scotland IMO, I also like the split, the introduction of which has brought about the play off system which creates a lot of interest, I do stand by my assertion our game would benefit from football people having a bigger impact than they currently have. Stewart Regan no longer in his post and Neil Doncaster have presided over one of the most turbulent periods known in Scottish football history.To replace Regan with another corporate nobody will achieve nothing, there has got to be people previously involved with the game who would contribute better than a Regan or Doncaster has, im not for one minute suggesting that a guy such as P. Nevin should be charged with reinvigorating the game in Scotland, but he at least has a football background.

32 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yes but so did the catastrophic Gordon Smith.

We need the best guys/girls. Background irrelevant; skills essential.

Agreed , Smith is a weird one football background but whenever I hear him talking about the game it's as if we both watch different sports. His match analysis is more humorous than any comedian you can think of.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 20:56, hate cheats said:

Go back and have 2 leagues . one of 20 and the rest in the second 3 up 3 down   . the second first 2 up next 4 play off... first bottom 2 down next 2 play off to stay up.

Some folks are saying that's an OLD FARTS kind of idea :unsure:

Lot of nonsense gets rolled-out about this tbh...

We have a split because, in order for SPL to be formed in 1998 without having to give 2 or 3 years notice to rest of SFL (or pay compensation in lieu of it), an agreement was struck to return to 12 teams in 2000 - it having reduced from 12 to 10 only a few years earlier in 1994. It was not feasible to return to a 44-game season: indeed a reason for moving away had been the inability to squeeze that many games in around the new European dates and international windows. Arguably it could be very drawn-out and boring too.

While never the reason for introducing it, a major benefit of the split is that it gives something to aim for between 3rd (for EL) and 11th (to avoid relegation), and ensures lots of head-to-heads in the closing weeks of the season.

There is absolutely no chance of clubs voting to return to 16-teams playing 30-games, 18-teams playing 34-games or 20-teams playing 38-games: there would be fewer fixtures (except in the 20-team model), a large meaningless mid-table, and relegation into a division of part-timers with average attendances of a few hundred. It's just reflecting reality to say that isn't on the cards. Just doing away with the split would mean always playing everyone an imbalanced amount, and with 33-games would be too few fixtures.

As such if you don't want a split your alternative is 10-team Premiership playing 36-games.

It would be better if they published the criteria used to resolve imbalances. That would be transparent. Unfortunately it's unlikely to happen as, clearly, it involves a top priority of 19/19 for OF and 2/2 for OF derbies.

What HJ said.

A few years ago Ian Blair did post an article on the SPL site, explaining the criteria for post split fixture arrangement.

Among the justifications I'm sure was that they worked down the way from the #1 seed, i.e. the previous year's league winners, made sure their fixtures were as balanced as possible, and then worked their way down. By sheer coincidence, Celtic and Old Rangers normally made up the top two, and their fixtures were easy to arrange. If you just sneaked in at #6 unexpectedly like PTFC did last year, you were last in line for getting what you 'deserved'.

The only thing wrong with the split is the fixture imbalance. Works fine otherwise.

As much as I loathe everything about the OF and their Hampden puppets, is it not right that Hibs/Hearts and Dundee/United are also ensured 2 home, 2 away every time they're in the top 6 so it's not just the bigots fixture that's always ensured as equal.

What HJ said.
A few years ago Ian Blair did post an article on the SPL site, explaining the criteria for post split fixture arrangement.
Among the justifications I'm sure was that they worked down the way from the #1 seed, i.e. the previous year's league winners, made sure their fixtures were as balanced as possible, and then worked their way down. By sheer coincidence, Celtic and Old Rangers normally made up the top two, and their fixtures were easy to arrange. If you just sneaked in at #6 unexpectedly like PTFC did last year, you were last in line for getting what you 'deserved'.

Did he say how that applies to the bottom six

Is the team that unexpectedly dropped into seventh last in line?

Hearts were in that position ten years ago and were due 3 home games

We got them but to be honest only having to endure two meaningless home games at the wretched, soggy end of a shambolic season would have been a relief

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

What HJ said.

Let's be fair here. In the circumstance where the league isn't mathematically over then the top 2 sides contesting the title should get priority in having an even split of fixtures.

44 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Did he say how that applies to the bottom six

Is the team that unexpectedly dropped into seventh last in line?

Hearts were in that position ten years ago and were due 3 home games

We got them but to be honest only having to endure two meaningless home games at the wretched, soggy end of a shambolic season would have been a relief

I honestly can't remember, but suspect not; I think the team that came up got the rawest of deals if it came down to that.

15 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Let's be fair here. In the circumstance where the league isn't mathematically over then the top 2 sides contesting the title should get priority in having an even split of fixtures.

Absolutely. His reasoning was sound I thought.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bottom six will see Accies play their games as expected, Thistle in Perth a third time, then either County or Motherwell making a third trip to Dens Park, with the other getting an extra home fixture for 20/18 split. Both clubs have had 18/20 splits previously, County last season and Motherwell in 2009/10.

Archived