Post split fixtures

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This situation came about purely from the actions of one club's support in 1999 and that the authorities have the attitude that Celtic shouldn't have a possible title-winner against us is patently ridiculous.

If we played our next league game at the piggery and lost then so be it.  It would hardly be a big deal.

The problem with your post is that you actually believe what you’ve posted.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The problem with your post is that you actually believe what you’ve posted.

Which bit is unbelievable?  1. That the trouble in 1999 was caused entirely by by Celtic fans or 2. That I'd have no issue playing our next game at the piggery?  

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Which bit is unbelievable?  1. That the trouble in 1999 was caused entirely by by Celtic fans or 2. That I'd have no issue playing our next game at the piggery?  

I wish you would.

11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This situation came about purely from the actions of one club's support in 1999 and that the authorities have the attitude that Celtic shouldn't have a possible title-winner against us is patently ridiculous.

If we played our next league game at the piggery and lost then so be it.  It would hardly be a big deal.

I actually kind of agree.

Was it not the case though that if Celtic had won at Ibrox late in the Rangers admin season, then the League would have been won that day?

I'd have thought that the situation then was more volatile than is now the case.  This of course came way after the events of 1999.

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

“This situation came about purely from  the actions of one club’s support in 1999”. This situation came about from decades upon decades of violence between the two teams fans at the ground, and city/town centres throughout Scotland.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

“This situation came about purely from  the actions of one club’s support in 1999”. This situation came about from decades upon decades of violence between the two teams fans at the ground, and city/town centres throughout Scotland.

Before 1999 a title-decider could be played between the two clubs - obviously.  After 1999 they authorities have tried very hard to avoid it.   Why?  Entirely because of the behaviour of the Celtic fans at that Shame Game.  This is incontrovertible.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

But down those years they'd met at decisive stages often enough.  Celtic might have won the League in a match with Rangers in 1983 when Dundee United won it, for instance.

Obviously, they've also contested plenty cup finals.

I think the events of 1999 have had an impact here, but I'm not sure what was different in 2012.

The over-thinking that goes on about the final OF game of the season is a total fucking embarrassment - it was almost *20 years ago* that the "bad" game happened and they should now just schedule it and get on with it. Where we have a split, the chance of one of the 2 teams winning the league against the other is a simple fact of life and rather than fetishising it - they should allow it to be more common naturally so that it's not such a big deal in future. They have managed to have cup finals without the world ending - not so sure why the league should be treated differently.

Also - to call the game a "title decider" is stretching credibility to breaking point given the relative position of the teams - Celtic winning the league is an utter inevitability and even the thickest of Rangers fans know that...

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

The over-thinking that goes on about the final OF game of the season is a total fucking embarrassment - it was almost *20 years ago* that the "bad" game happened and they should now just schedule it and get on with it. Where we have a split, the chance of one of the 2 teams winning the league against the other is a simple fact of life and rather than fetishising it - they should allow it to be more common naturally so that it's not such a big deal in future. They have managed to have cup finals without the world ending - not so sure why the league should be treated differently.

Also - to call the game a "title decider" is stretching credibility to breaking point given the relative position of the teams - Celtic winning the league is an utter inevitability and even the thickest of Rangers fans know that...

Indeed.  The only quibble I have with this is that 'the bad game' was down to one set of fans.  Other than that you are spot on.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Indeed.  The only quibble I have with this is that 'the bad game' was down to one set of fans.  Other than that you are spot on.

Perhaps, but you could always rely on Rangers fans to ruin things for everybody else.

27 minutes ago, Swello said:

Agreed.

It's also an irritating feature of language that a title clinching game can now apparently be described as a decider.  I always saw a decider as that very rare type of event you got when Arsenal won the League in 1989.

But down those years they'd met at decisive stages often enough.  Celtic might have won the League in a match with Rangers in 1983 when Dundee United won it, for instance.

Obviously, they've also contested plenty cup finals.

I think the events of 1999 have had an impact here, but I'm not sure what was different in 2012.

Pretty sure the 2012 game was pre split so they couldn’t do much about it.

As for the notion that the 1999 game was a one-sided event as far as trouble was concerned; That’s probably true as far as inside the stadium goes but I remember news footage of rangers fans battling with police on horseback on the bit of Duke Street where the Louden and Bristol are.

Also, inside the ground, if Rangers were wanting to be seen as squeaky clean the players wouldn’t have done the huddle on the pitch either.

Of course it's not a title decider but we know what the Scottish media's like.  It's just confirming the inevitability of Celtic's title.  Of course ***s body swerving a confirmation party is second nature to them.

See if a club ends up with 18 home games and 20 away............do the SPFL compensate them in anyway.

For example, if we do end up at Ibrox 3 times, we would have lost out on roughly (averaging the price at £20 a ticket to include kids) then based on our last home attendance against them its just shy of £230,000.  You need to deduct costs from that of course but would the club who loses out get some kind of payment?

Archived