Post split fixtures

49 minutes ago, Raphael said:

Not even a tiny teeny bit when in relation to how the authorities view any sort of fixture involving the always charming old firm supporters?  Im sure  trashing a city centre and fighting Greater Manchester Police will probably in some way reflect the general consensus that you lot and the other cheek simply cant be trusted? Also to answer your point directly i never made any direct statement that my comments were specifically about 1999. I could highlight instances from both sides of the arse to highlight my point that your behaviour as a collective posterior brings shame and embarrassment on our game. 

It is whataboutery as the reason that this general rule has been in place since 1999 was due to the actions of one set of fans. Not both. This is incontrovertible fact.

You could mention instances from both sides just as I could or just as we could mention instances of misbehaviour by Hearts fans or Killie fans etc. None of that is immediately relevant to the unwritten rule that is being discussed which is why it is whataboutery from yourself.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

It is whataboutery as the reason that this general rule has been in place since 1999 was due to the actions of one set of fans. Not both. This is incontrovertible fact.

You could mention instances from both sides just as I could or just as we could mention instances of misbehaviour by Hearts fans or Killie fans etc. None of that is immediately relevant to the unwritten rule that is being discussed which is why it is whataboutery from yourself.

So are you saying that this 'unwritten rule 'general rule' etc is not in any way enforced by the previous behaviour of the two Glasgow clubs? That it has nothing to do with the general discussion amongst local authorities about Celtic winning a title at a Old Firm match?  That only the actions of the Celtic fans on that day has any bearing on this collective agreement that a game like that can never happen again? Wider context isn't relevant? You could also highlight instances of trouble with Hearts, Hibs, Killie whoever you like it doesn't get away from the fact that a fixture will not be played because of the context of two sets of supporters and that is shameful. 

10 minutes ago, Raphael said:

So are you saying that this 'unwritten rule 'general rule' etc is not in any way enforced by the previous behaviour of the two Glasgow clubs? 

No that isn't what I said at all - you are clearly too dim to read correctly.

21 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The 22nd is the date of the probable Manchester City Title Decider vs Swansea 

And more importantly Arsenal are playing West Ham in a London Derby before that 

Don't see your point but... 

Celtic v Rangers at 12.00

Arsenal v West Ham 1.30

Man City V Swansea 4.30

Sounds perfect for Sky

7 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

Which is obviously true. You were muddying the waters again by more whataboutery. 

So for absolute clarity the reason this game is not taking place on the first week of the split is down to Celtic in 1999? Is that a 'incontrovertible fact'?

41 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

No one has claimed anything of the sort. You require a bit of reading comprehension training.

Theres been numerous Rangers fans on this very thread claiming its entirely due to Celtic fans behaviour in 99.

To me, this is just further proof that the people who run the game in Scotland just don't have the intelligence or the capability to see the game through the eyes of a fan. The media can whip it up and say "1999", but here are 3 crucial differences between 1999 and now:

1. The ground - Rangers went to Parkhead and won the title, definitely stings more when your rivals do this on your own patch (ask any Dundee fan)
  2. The title race - In the sense that it actually was one. Even the most delusional *** on the planet couldn't seriously tell you that Rangers will be winning 55 this season.
  3. The Old Firm - This used to be a competitive rivalry, it's just not anymore. It might be again some time, but for now, Rangers know their place.

So then we get to the real irony of the piece. By generating these media headlines, Police Scotland and the SPFL have not only fucked off the fans of the other ten clubs by making them wait an extra week for their team's split fixtures, they've actually increased the likelihood of violence being incited. There will be a pocket of the Rangers support who will now believe that it is almost their duty to go to Parkhead and live up to the media hype. I predict there will be more broken seats and the like if these two meet on the second round of fixtures and the title is still yet to be 'decided'. By overplaying the apparent dangers of the situation, they've probably made it more likely that there will be violence than if they'd just generated the fixtures at random.

8 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

To me, this is just further proof that the people who run the game in Scotland just don't have the intelligence or the capability to see the game through the eyes of a fan. The media can whip it up and say "1999", but here are 3 crucial differences between 1999 and now:

1. The ground - Rangers went to Parkhead and won the title, definitely stings more when your rivals do this on your own patch (ask any Dundee fan)
  2. The title race - In the sense that it actually was one. Even the most delusional *** on the planet couldn't seriously tell you that Rangers will be winning 55 this season.
  3. The Old Firm - This used to be a competitive rivalry, it's just not anymore. It might be again some time, but for now, Rangers know their place.

So then we get to the real irony of the piece. By generating these media headlines, Police Scotland and the SPFL have not only fucked off the fans of the other ten clubs by making them wait an extra week for their team's split fixtures, they've actually increased the likelihood of violence being incited. There will be a pocket of the Rangers support who will now believe that it is almost their duty to go to Parkhead and live up to the media hype. I predict there will be more broken seats and the like if these two meet on the second round of fixtures and the title is still yet to be 'decided'. By overplaying the apparent dangers of the situation, they've probably made it more likely that there will be violence than if they'd just generated the fixtures at random.

This. 

16 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

I think the SPFL know all of that full well. The problem is Police Scotland, as demonstrated by Les Gray's comments on Sportsound last night.

If the police say they won't put up with the game being on dates x, y or z, what is the SPFL supposed to do? Ignore them?

The league's a foregone conclusion...it's not a Title Decider at all so why is it being compared to 99?  The only old firm game left worth anything is the semi final...

Les Gray and some of the police are living in the old days.  

The litmus test was the Hogmanay game and that passed with hardly any bother.  Times have changed.

The Police, Les Gray and the other bedwetters have a lot to answer for...hyping this game up well above the reality...hyping up the potential for violence... that is irresponsible and should be condemned.

Ironically, the (actual) title decider after '99 that had Celtic fans on their worst behaviour was when the OF were actually playing different games simultaneously - Fir Park and the area round about were quite a sight after Skippy Sunday. The bottom line is that the mutant end of the OF supporter spectrum will go mental and wreck places on any pretext - they don't need a title "decider" that's been needlessly whipped up.

1 minute ago, yoda1886 said:

just heard the fixtures won't be released till friday. Surely not 

What level of competence did you come to you expect from Scottish Professional Football administrators?

Just be grateful that nobody's pushed the schedule date to Friday 20th April yet.

Archived