Post split fixtures

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I don't really follow... Surely the question for the relevant authorities is simply whether they're OK with an OF derby potentially being a mathematical title decider, or not? Why could that not be discussed and decided on until now?

I think it has been discussed - the police are clearly opposed to it being a decider. That is why it would have been penciled in for the 22nd, when it looked like the league would be relatively tight.

The problem is that this league position and the attitude of the police leaves them with very few options. One date is a bank holiday, another is a midweek and Celtic normally receive the trophy on the final day. The mooted "solution" is to play it on the second date (29th), but that runs into the problem of what if Celtic fail to win their first game after the split.

One possible solution (which I haven't seen mooted publicly) would be for them to schedule the Celtic - Rangers game for the final day, with Celtic receiving the trophy in the previous (37th) game.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

One possible solution (which I haven't seen mooted publicly) would be for them to schedule the Celtic - Rangers game for the final day, with Celtic receiving the trophy in the previous (37th) game.

The guard of honour clapping the Champions on to the pitch won’t be a problem, not at all....

6 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

I think it has been discussed - the police are clearly opposed to it being a decider. That is why it would have been penciled in for the 22nd, when it looked like the league would be relatively tight.

The problem is that this league position and the attitude of the police leaves them with very few options. One date is a bank holiday, another is a midweek and Celtic normally receive the trophy on the final day. The mooted "solution" is to play it on the second date (29th), but that runs into the problem of what if Celtic fail to win their first game after the split.

So they can't secure the necessary points against Rangers and they can't be presented with the trophy immediately after a game against Rangers either?  Is that what you're saying?

I'm a bit disappointed because I'd previously thought that nobody had a lower opinion of OF fans than me.

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
Rangers fans desperately trying to claim their fans don't have a horrid history of getting violent. I'm sure they'd all just sit back tutting when Celtic fans are on the pitch in front of them celebrating winning the league. 

They obviously forgot about the Scottish Cup final and Manchester.

You can add Barcelona, Birmingham, Newcastle and many more to your examples. 

4 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

I understand that... and as you indicate - if the police are going to veto an OF derby on May Day weekend, midweek, the last day of the season, and any date on which the title could be decided mathematically, there aren't actually any dates which work.

My confusion is why a solution isn't being worked-out until now - this "policy" has apparently been in place for 18yrs; despite their best efforts such a decider happened 6yrs ago; it could have been predicted as a possibility weeks ago.

Why has devising a solution been left to this week and why may it take 5 days to devise?

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Why has devising a solution been left to this week and why may it take 5 days to devise?

Look at the table. Why do you think it's taking them so long? Not only do they have to devise the best possible run of fixtures to help The Rangers finish second, they also have to plan out who is going to referee each of the top 6 fixtures to pretty much guarantee it. All without making it look overly obvious (which is pretty much impossible at this point).

5 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Saturday was the only possible date the Accies V Killie game could take place what with scheduled & backlogged league fixtures and Scottish Cup replays taking up all midweeks since the winter break.

Technically it could have been played tomorrow. But because it has no bearing on the make-up of the two halves of the table, it was sensible to have it as a weekend fixture.

It’s not the first time Cup semi-final weekend has been used for such fixtures, but as far as I know it’s been 12 years since the last scheduled round on that weekend. 

An easy Celtic win in the cup this weekend might trigger Armageddon, this removing the need for post split fixtures.

Obviously post Armageddon fixtures would be required, and we’d still have to worry about cockroaches from both sides of the sectarian divide behaving themselves, so I’m not entirely sure what my point is....

7 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

An easy Celtic win in the cup this weekend might trigger Armageddon, this removing the need for post split fixtures.

Obviously post Armageddon fixtures would be required, and we’d still have to worry about cockroaches from both sides of the sectarian divide behaving themselves, so I’m not entirely sure what my point is....

I'm not entirely sure what your point is either but I agree wholeheartedly with it nonetheless.

Down with this kind of thing!

26 minutes ago, shootingboots said:

All stemming from the fact two clubs supporters cannot be trusted to behave.

Yet still pandered to.

Do you really think that's why this is?

What is your favourite paper, the Sun or The Daily Record?

5 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Do you really think that's why this is?

What is your favourite paper, the Sun or The Daily Record?

There are obviously several inter-related issues to resolve.

I would be stunned if one of them wasn’t minimising the chances of the poor innocent orcs being subject to goading.

I would be flabbergasted if the main consideration wasn’t trying to stop either cheek crying about imbalance.

I would probably die of shock if I found out that Killies’ interests were taken into account at all.

What’s the real story scoop?

1 hour ago, naegoodinthedark said:

So the Armaggedon is going to see them evolve upwards into cockroaches....surely an improvement, bring on the Armageddon

1 hour ago, Gaz FFC said:

If this is the fuss over Celtic winning 7 in a row then what are the police gonnae do if  WHEN the very skint Dave King can't stop Celtic grabbing 9 and 10

FTFY

Archived