BBC bias

2 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Tories are funded by private donations from the financial elite. Those donations will always be forthcoming were the party to need them so they don't care about deficits.

SNP do receive private donations but are far more reliant on membership fees. That means their membership numbers are key to their finances, which was the main point of the article. 

It's worth noting that reliance on membership fees is far more democratic than reliance on private donations. So this is another example of how our system punishes increased democracy.

The drop in donations was larger than the drop in membership fees.

3 hours ago, strichener said:

The drop in donations was larger than the drop in membership fees.

Sure, that's the point. The SNP can't rely on donations how the Tories can because society's donors - the financial elite - donate to the party that protects their interests. That's the Tories before its the SNP. Therefore SNP deficits can have consequences whereas a donor will always step in to pick up the tab for a Tory deficit if its ever needed. This is an example of our political system punishing increased democracy because it allows for party finances - and therefore the ability of a party to advertise its message - to be dictated by wealthy individuals rather than mass membership movements.

6 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

SNP do receive private donations but are far more reliant on membership fees. 

With that sentence I meant, "far more reliant on membership fees" than the Tories, and not than those private donations. 

Edited by FreedomFarter

9 minutes ago, orfc said:

It's not like the SNP have ever been bankrolled by 1 or 2 lottery winners, I mean individuals, is it?

When was the last time you read anything?

6 hours ago, orfc said:

12 years ago they won and the majority given in 2014. 

I doubt much has been given recently seeing as he has been brown bread since 2019.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

12 years ago they won and the majority given in 2014. 

I doubt much has been given recently seeing as he has been brown bread since 2019.

Even before that. What started off as donations ended up as loans he wanted paid back as he got sick of bring the Murrell's piggy bank and pension funder. 

3 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Screenshot_20230903_132347_Chrome.thumb.jpg.618b5e4c53fdd94189ebd322ba149a24.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66668094

So for the BBC's Paris correspondent:

Russia and China conspiring with "over-eager" (ie. daft) Africans is not the conspiracy theory.

The conspiracy theory is that France are to blame for their own policy failings in Africa.

China are heavily involved in Africa 

On 03/09/2023 at 18:21, Binos said:

China are heavily involved in Africa 

China have zero military footprint in Mali/Guinea/Burkina Faso/Niger/Gabon. It seems unlikely that they were somehow dealing with the military putschists in those nations, as Macron alleges. There's also that China's main interest is in fostering trade relations which military coups disturb.

Regardless, my previous comment wasn't about assessing Macron's quotes. It was about highlighting the BBC journalist's bias. He reported Macron's words without scrutiny yet described local African anti-France sentiment as being the result of a conspiracy theory.

The article is the BBC Paris correspondent running defence for France and to do that, he has to use quite a contorted framing of issues. Take this example:

Screenshot_20230904_185348_Chrome.thumb.jpg.469e36d4fac9643f83105d4d61141f4e.jpg

Good on those French anti-corruption judges but, ultimately, of what use is that to the common Gabonese people? Their collective wealth has already been stolen by Bongo with France (not China or Russia) having acted as accessory to the robbery. They won't be getting that money back to build their schools and hospitals, its already in France and will stay in France.

Edited by FreedomFarter

Derek Bateman insisted that it was poor editorial standards rather than corruption that was to blame for output that was obvious in its paucity.

When the police were concentrating their prison escape enquiries in Chiswick, over the course of multiple BBC Radio Scotland bulletins, they pronounced it as Chiss-Wick. 

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Bbc jockoland telling us that HS2 getting cancelled is great news because of the Barnett consequences is some look .Cole Hamilton front and centre to tell us that there 

HS3 from Inverness to Wick hopefully.

23 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Bbc jockoland telling us that HS2 getting cancelled is great news because of the Barnett consequences is some look .Cole Hamilton front and centre to tell us that there 

I swear, there's an odious sex pest behind that b*****d's smirk.

Edited by StellarHibee

18 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

I swear, there's an odious sex pest behind that b*****d's smirk.

Sex pest or otherwise, he’s a c**t.

I would encourage everyone to have a look at Emma Walker (former CEO of the Scottish Lib Dems) account of how she was treated by him and others in the party. 

On 04/10/2023 at 15:22, welshbairn said:

HS3 from Inverness to Wick hopefully.

I think a Dundee to Lanzarote transporter (of the Star Trek variety) would have significant economic and cultural benefits for all.

IMG_1725.thumb.jpeg.633f7a7d90a573f49904b5dc7e7452df.jpeg

Tangerine rather than blue illumination naturally.