BBC bias

18 minutes ago, The Chief said:

The National = Pravda.

While that's not even close to being true - Pravda would be more akin to RT or Press TV - the National is every bit as slanted as the Daily Mail, albeit with a polar slant.  It's also dreadfully designed, but that's neither here nor there.

Which is fine, as far as it goes, because people don't read the newspaper for news, they read it because it tells them what they already think.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

I feel like the National is just about hirpling towards something a bit more credible than when they let the office tea boy loose with MS paint for the front covers, but it's thin gruel whenever I do buy one.

The Sunday National is excellent

Mind that week before the referendum, the one when I think two polls had a Yes lead (and Tory private polling) then up came Cameron, Clegg and Milliband.

The BBC went absolutely mental that week and jumped the shark. They certainly weren't neutral before that, but they had a subtle, quiet bias, but that week they went crazy and every headline or news story was a negative of Scottish independence. 

Hashtag almost a full on Zommer for thinking that no doubt.

Edited by Kejan

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Twas a telly item on the main news. That article is fine (if a little disappointing it came from the NI arm and not Scottish/main BBC).

I don't know how they're supposed to get the number right at these things. If they quote the Police it's always low, if they quote the organisers it's always high. They'll get accused of bias either way.

Edited by welshbairn

Mind that week before the referendum, the one when I think two polls had a Yes lead (and Tory private polling) then up came Cameron, Clegg and Milliband.
The BBC went absolutely mental that week and jumped the shark. They certainly weren't neutral before that, but they had a subtle, quiet bias, but that week they went crazy and every headline or news story was a negative of Scottish independence. 
Hashtag almost a full on Zommer for thinking that no doubt.
The one that got me was the full front BBC headline of RBS moving out. Turned out that it was only a registration movement. RBS ops director stated nothing would change, small wee article way down webpage. Nick Robinson edit was a farce.
Then there was some news about a German bank front headline, load of shite. Retracted in small print few days later.
Anyone who doesn't think the BBC is biased against Scottish independence is a simpleton. Clue is in mame

I think the BBC, especially in London, were totally clueless about what was happening in Scotland in the months leading up to the referendum. They thought of the SNP as an insignificant fringe party, and of course normal people would want to stay in the Union. Then the polls changed and they lost it, didn't know how to cover it. And they fucked up badly by going majorly on the Unionist side. Since then I think they've made a lukewarm effort to stay reasonably neutral. Almost every accusation of bias on here has proven to be shite if looked into. The one about the BBC persecuting the SNP by sending FOI requests to every Scottish Health Authority for dirt was my favourite, when it turned out they'd sent the same to every HA in the UK, and there were far more stories about England than Scotland. BBC cover stories as neutrally as any other news organisation I can think of, which fucking annoys me when they give coverage to causes I don't like. But the continual BBCbad mantra within the SNP and here is as boring as the SNPbad in the Scotsman.

P.S. I also don't doubt the Government put serious pressure on them in London about what was at stake in 2014, and the top BBC bods and most of the London presenters probably agreed with them. 

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think the BBC, especially in London, were totally clueless about what was happening in Scotland in the months leading up to the referendum. They thought of the SNP as an insignificant fringe party, and of course normal people would want to stay in the Union. Then the polls changed and they lost it, didn't know how to cover it. And they fucked up badly by going majorly on the Unionist side. Since then I think they've made a lukewarm effort to stay reasonably neutral. Almost every accusation of bias on here has proven to be shite if looked into. The one about the BBC persecuting the SNP by sending FOI requests to every Scottish Health Authority for dirt was my favourite, when it turned out they'd sent the same to every HA in the UK, and there were far more stories about England than Scotland. BBC cover stories as neutrally as any other news organisation I can think of, which fucking annoys me when they give coverage to causes I don't like. But the continual BBCbad mantra within the SNP and here is as boring as the SNPbad in the Scotsman.

P.S. I also don't doubt the Government put serious pressure on them in London about what was at stake in 2014, and the top BBC bods and most of the London presenters probably agreed with them. 

What about the raging britnats that they always seem to find. nurse skint loves a holiday at top NY hotels, broken foot man history of sectarian shit and jail time, bird shit women and her go fund me for her kiddy on dead husband and orange band guy with his reserved seat at QT and beyond?

1 minute ago, dirty dingus said:

What about the raging britnats that they always seem to find. nurse skint loves a holiday at top NY hotels, broken foot man history of sectarian shit and jail time, bird shit women and her go fund me for her kiddy on dead husband and orange band guy with his reserved seat at QT and beyond?

The BBC is an ecummenical broadcaster, no loony should be denied a voice.

1 minute ago, dirty dingus said:

So what's the loony britnat percentage of applicants to representatives on BBC Scotlandshire?

Not sure if it would be good for the cause to have equal numbers of loony Wingnats on Question Time tbh.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure if it would be good for the cause to have equal numbers of loony Wingnats on Question Time tbh.

At least wingnats would stand by their wingnatty/indy beliefs. No neutral would be harmed in this debate. If you can't stand and declare your view, why even bother? Because it will get you prime left and centre at every debate with a free shot at the nats as a random questioner .