BBC bias

The SNP is the third largest grouping at Westminster yet is vastly underrepresented on TV programmes like Question Time and radio 5 Live which does a significant amount of political reporting.

It's easy for them to throw stuff like the 9 when they know it's not getting anywhere near the viewers as the news shows on the main channels. So they can say "hey look, we're covering it". But they know that the reach isn't really there, and thus, it's easy to do that and remain biased.

So I'd say bringing up the reporting elsewhere is fair game when talking about this subject. f**k buying into their pishy tricks.

2 hours ago, sophia said:

May I respectively disagree. 

The 10 is British news and partly due to a population thing, is crowded by an English agenda.

For a Scottish balance one should choose the 9. If you did last night, you'd have got two for one and the fabulous Allan Little's Children of the Devolution.

There is now a cohort across various BBC programmes that are allowed to give voice to the possibility / probability of a independence vote and how that would be positive.

The 10 is for National and International news. The headline and perspective was mainly from an England viewpoint. By all means mention England's defeat as an news item, but not headline it as it was an irrelevance to the other nations within the UK.

This also happens in stories regarding the English NHS, Police, Transport etc. They treat the main National news to as to relate to England, rather than the UK as a whole.

It's just not good enough from the BBC

Edited by Colkitto

2 hours ago, sophia said:

I wasn't expecting you to change the habits of a lifetime!

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't think covering the English team on the news is a big deal tbh. I'm happy they did well.

I watched the game and enjoyed it. I became a fan of the England team after the Cameroon game given the way these girls (England) behaved despite being spat on, elbowed in the face, and victims of some really bad tackles.

It was just the fact that as mentioned, this was their main story in that 10PM news and it completely overshadowed the rest of the news including the pathetic and embarrassing behaviour of the new influx of MEP's at Strasbourg. They nit-picked over that England performance like some kind of major injustice had just taken place and explanations were now being demanded.

England actually played quite well - they were just beaten by a better side. These things happen from time to time, but no doubt the English based meeja will be chewing over it for some time to come yet.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

Look at you whinging about programs that will never change in their core content.

They are all produced for an audience that is dominant in numbers.

We'll not change them, why should they be changed, they are essentially broadcasting to England.

I don't buy papers that displease me and I don't watch or listen to parts of the British public service broadcasting output that is not designed for me.

Now that we have some options, my behaviour has changed accordingly and instead of watching news on the BBC 101 channel, I watch it on 115. That's my "main" channel. 

52 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

The 10 is for National and International news. The headline and perspective was mainly from an England viewpoint. By all means mention England's defeat as an news item, but not headline it as it was an irrelevance to the other nations within the UK.

This also happens in stories regarding the English NHS, Police, Transport etc. They treat the main National news to as to relate to England, rather than the UK as a whole.

It's just not good enough from the BBC

It was a huge story in the part of the UK where 4/5s of the population live. 7 million watched the Norway game, must have been more for last night's game. As Sophia says, why don't you watch 9 instead?

10 minutes ago, sophia said:

Look at you whinging about programs that will never change in their core content.

They are all produced for an audience that is dominant in numbers.

We'll not change them, why should they be changed, they are essentially broadcasting to England.

I don't buy papers that displease me and I don't watch or listen to parts of the British public service broadcasting output that is not designed for me.

Now that we have some options, my behaviour has changed accordingly and instead of watching news on the BBC 101 channel, I watch it on 115. That's my "main" channel. 

Why not put the Scottish news output the "9" on BBC1 scotland  at 6pm and let everyone know who want to watch the bbc uk news at 6 on the news channel. Also gets rid of Jackie Bird and co which is a bonus.

Another kind of bias. The 10pm flagship news has just spent 20 minutes discussing all the decisions that went against the English woman's football team in their defeat against the US.
This was of course their headline story, completely overlooking the fact that their programme goes out to Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales.
In fairness, don't watch. It also goes out in Ireland also, of course Ireland has its RTE equivalent. As long as the majority of Scottish people remain shitebags, we just have to put up with this..

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It was a huge story in the part of the UK where 4/5s of the population live. 7 million watched the Norway game, must have been more for last night's game. As Sophia says, why don't you watch 9 instead?

For that to be anywhere agreeable to me I would like for Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland payment in TV license to reflect output relevant to each Nation.

I pay the exact same in license fee as a viewer in England but without a shadow of a doubt I don't receive the same service. 

You cannot have a blanket payment for everyone but each part of the UK receives a varying degree of service. It cannot be fair or right when you mainly cater for England in news output and the rest of the UK pays the same fee.

9 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

For that to be anywhere agreeable to me I would like for Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland payment in TV license to reflect output relevant to each Nation.

I pay the exact same in license fee as a viewer in England but without a shadow of a doubt I don't receive the same service. 

You cannot have a blanket payment for everyone but each part of the UK receives a varying degree of service. It cannot be fair or right when you mainly cater for England in news output and the rest of the UK pays the same fee.

We get our own bespoke channel and news programmes, how cool is that? Plus BBC Alba and National radio stations in each language. 

Edited by welshbairn

You know fine well this won’t happen. As long as Scotland is part of the UK nation it will be treated as such.

It would be a nightmare for the bbc to go down the route of amending the fees of demographics that felt they were underrepresented by the output.

3 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Let's not kid ourselves, the only way we are going to get a Scotland focussed national broadcaster is when we get Independence.

It cannot come quickly enough.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You know fine well this won’t happen. As long as Scotland is part of the UK nation it will be treated as such.

It would be a nightmare for the bbc to go down the route of amending the fees of demographics that felt they were underrepresented by the output.

Of course it won't happen. That's why I'll continue to raise awareness of the discrimination by the BBC to Scotland until we can view TV like all other countries in the world.

2 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Of course it won't happen. That's why I'll continue to raise awareness of the discrimination by the BBC to Scotland until we can view TV like all other countries in the world.

Part of the problem of course is that the BBC have to keep up the image that all of the UK will unite behind all of their sporting efforts. Of course we will care about England going out of a world cup because its all the UK!

As soon as they acknowledge the fact that people in Scotland, NI etc don't give two shits (for the most part) about how England perform in sport and thus only put that news out to regional viewers, it breaks their utopian image of the UK and that can't happen.

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We get our own bespoke channel and news programmes, how cool is that? Plus BBC Alba and National radio stations in each language. 

If they had done that right our own bespoke news programme would be on BBC1 at 6pm/10pm, not hidden away on some obscure channel at 9pm

8 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

If they had done that right our own bespoke news programme would be on BBC1 at 6pm/10pm, not hidden away on some obscure channel at 9pm

The Nine O'Clock News? If scrolling down a page is too hard for you, I question your commitment to wanting Scotland focused content.

Edited by welshbairn

56 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Part of the problem of course is that the BBC have to keep up the image that all of the UK will unite behind all of their sporting efforts. Of course we will care about England going out of a world cup because its all the UK!

As soon as they acknowledge the fact that people in Scotland, NI etc don't give two shits (for the most part) about how England perform in sport and thus only put that news out to regional viewers, it breaks their utopian image of the UK and that can't happen.

I have to admit I watched the game last night and cheered on a couple of occasions.:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

C'mon you know how inertia works. Folk don't drink coke, eat white sliced bread and f**k missionary because these are objectively the best

I don't think the BBC get to say how their channels are ordered on Sky, Freeview or Virgin. It wouldn't be hard to have BBC Scotland on top though in our TV region.