Motherwell v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Semi Final

welldaft

That daily record article is the biggest load of slavering nonsense I’ve ever read.

Motherwell having another trip to Hampden this season. We had four last season, both our semi’s being the same ridiculous 12.15 kick off. The fact that the crowd might be around the 20,000 mark should be applauded, not ridiculed.

While I’m aware that OF fans do their fair share of travel to away games during a league campaign at poor kick off times, I doubt you’d be able to find 50,000 willing to travel to Aberdeen for a semi against Motherwell kicking off at 12.15.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

While I’m aware that OF fans do their fair share of travel to away games during a league campaign at poor kick off times, I doubt you’d be able to find 50,000 willing to travel to Aberdeen for a semi against Motherwell kicking off at 12.15.

tbf it's not too far from Peterhead to Aberdeen

18 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Been feeling very meh about this all day, but just heard the start of European Song and its off to Tesco for a half bottle and a few cans to get started.

It's a fucking tune mate. Up there with the best football songs IMO

Had a wee look at Accies cup record there.
1zygcya.png
giphy.gif

They tweeted about their recent cup exploits shortly after we emptied them in January.
They seemed quite proud of their 'achievements '

35 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

Mon the Aberdeen.

Wtf u doing in this thread ? Were your team not disposed of in the 1st round. Probably like many Highland and non league teams. 

We will be relegating you in the final game anyway. 

Not seen the Daily record article but as they are full time old firm bum lickers nothing would surprise me.

3 hours ago, Swello said:

In what way? Aberdeen are comfortably a better team than us, so getting beat by them wouldn't really qualify as a sickener unless it's a last min goal or a refereeing f**k-up.

My memory of that semi final was that Celtic were totally insipid - I don't remember us being under the cosh and that was one of the reasons it was hard to take in the end.

Any Semi Final loss has to go down as a sickener regardless of opposition. This is a must win game for Motherwell FC, no two ways about it. A place in the Scottish Cup Final is up for grabs so no hard luck stories or "we lost to the better team" tales will suffice here. It is win or bust and I don't care how we win as long as we do.

Are Aberdeen 'comfortably a better team than us"? Of course they are, there is no argument or debate about that and if they play to their best tomorrow they will beat us, simple as that. However regardless of that it will still be a sore one to lose especially so as you know that we DO have a slim chance here.

I just have a horrible vision of a late equaliser from them or a late winner and / or a penalty shootout defeat. I know others will disagree, but I would rather Aberdeen pump us 3-0 or 4-0 than us running them close then losing out in that fashion, it will be so much easier to take.

My prediction is a 1-1 draw with Aberdeen winning on penalties.

18 minutes ago, MJC said:

Any Semi Final loss has to go down as a sickener regardless of opposition. This is a must win game for Motherwell FC, no two ways about it. A place in the Scottish Cup Final is up for grabs so no hard luck stories or "we lost to the better team" tales will suffice here. It is win or bust and I don't care how we win as long as we do.

Are Aberdeen 'comfortably a better team than us"? Of course they are, there is no argument or debate about that and if they play to their best tomorrow they will beat us, simple as that. However regardless of that it will still be a sore one to lose especially so as you know that we DO have a slim chance here.

I just have a horrible vision of a late equaliser from them or a late winner and / or a penalty shootout defeat. I know others will disagree, but I would rather Aberdeen pump us 3-0 or 4-0 than us running them close then losing out in that fashion, it will be so much easier to take.

My prediction is a 1-1 draw with Aberdeen winning on penalties.

You are one miserable negative fucker and I mean that in the nicest way........

But I have always said rather lose comfortably and accept better team won than a 92nd minute goal or dodgy penalty etc. 

Lets see what tomorrow brings. One thing that cannot be levelled at this team is that they bottle the big occasions.  Tempting fate perhaps but we have never in our history made 2 finals in one season. 

Let’s get down to the real issues, where in Glasgow can I get a pint pre-11am? I know The Counting House lets you have 2 pints if you buy a breakfast but that’s usually mobbed when Aberdeen have a semi final. Any other options?

Before anyone calls me an alcoholic, I dare you to watch whatever the Dons serve up on Saturday while sober. It’s not my fault that they decided on a ludicrous kick off time, yet again.

3 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Let’s get down to the real issues, where in Glasgow can I get a pint pre-11am? I know The Counting House lets you have 2 pints if you buy a breakfast but that’s usually mobbed when Aberdeen have a semi final. Any other options?

Before anyone calls me an alcoholic, I dare you to watch whatever the Dons serve up on Saturday while sober. It’s not my fault that they decided on a ludicrous kick off time, yet again.

Try the Iron Horse on West Nile St. Seems to cater early doors for everyone and i really mean everyone.

11 minutes ago, welldaft said:

You are one miserable negative fucker and I mean that in the nicest way........

But I have always said rather lose comfortably and accept better team won than a 92nd minute goal or dodgy penalty etc. 

Lets see what tomorrow brings. One thing that cannot be levelled at this team is that they bottle the big occasions.  Tempting fate perhaps but we have never in our history made 2 finals in one season. 

Absolutely. 

At least with a comfortable Aberdeen win we can 'comfort' ourselves that we were just beaten by the better team, even though that would still be a sore one to take given what's at stake. You could say, albeit perhaps  begrudgingly, "fair play, well done". Us running them close yet still losing out would be gut wrenching and that awful feeling of walking away knowing that "but for that save, that deflection, that chance missed, that refereeing decision, that player slipping as he took his penalty" would just eat away at you forever.

I was six years old when the 1991 Final took place and don't remember much about the day itself other than the fact that we won the Cup, but I've always tried to put myself in Dundee United's shoes that day. Their umpteenth final, playing a non-OF side, in their case clear favourites(which of course we aren't tomorrow), dominating the game for long spells against a side with a goalkeeper who is lucky he can even stand never mind pull off the save of the tournament in the last minute of extra time as their team loses 4-3 after fighting back from 3-1 down in normal time. That must have been fucking devastating and infuriating for them and 10x worse than getting horsed off Celtic or Rangers as they were in previous years.

Brilliant for us mind you :)

23 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Tempting fate perhaps but we have never in our history made 2 finals in one season. 

We did in 1950/51 apparently - the year we won the league cup.

Archived