Motherwell v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Semi Final

welldaft

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MJC said:

The atmosphere in our support that day in 2011 was superb, even though we were well spaced out across three stands, though us roaring into a 3-0 1st half lead undoubtedly helped.

Compare and contrast that to the 2011 final a month later, we had a 16,000 allocation and the majority of them sat on their hands admiring the Celtic support who were outsinging them. Again the performance, the result bring reversed from the semi and the weather didn't help matters but the 5-7k who were at the St Johnstone semi easily made a better atmosphere than the 16k who went to the final against Celtic. 

The 2011 cup final was an utterly miserable experience and the atmosphere was shite - in equal measure as a result of the team themselves being shite and the number of daytrippers (that are a necessary evil if we want a "support" of 16,000). 

The league cup final this season had a smaller support but the atmosphere was excellent in the 'Well end - probably as a result of the Real Supporters® not having to behave themselves because they had unfathomably brought their wife along. And a maiden aunt. 

14 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

As a 29 year old, cup finals are shite to me. I’ve been to three finals, all of them were against one of the two cretins, lost 3-0, 5-1 and 2-0.

I've only been to 1 more - but it was quite good, so the pressure is off :) 

I was at the '91 Final but I was only four years old at the time (it was the summer before I started Primary School) so don't have many memories of the day, and none of the game itself.

The three Finals I remember have all been pretty bollocks.  Though, I've had three cracking nights out following them!

As a 29 year old, cup finals are shite to me. I’ve been to three finals, all of them were against one of the two cretins, lost 3-0, 5-1 and 2-0.

Same here, finals are absolutely shite.

Semi finals are alright though, I think I’m 8-2 on aggregate for them with the most recent one being particularly good.

The three Finals I remember have all been pretty bollocks.  Though, I've had three cracking nights out following them!

Hopefully you see a win soon because nothing beats sitting down to watch the game again 3 days later to try and remember wtf actually happened.

Semi's have been a real mixed bag for me.

The LC semi at Easter Rd against Hearts was one of the all-time great jumps, the win this season against Rangers was great for a number of reasons and the 91 semi replay against Celtic contained the best goal I've ever seen and is only bettered by the final in my favourite ever games.

On the other hand, the Corrigan backpass semi against Celtic was one of the bigger sickeners I can ever remember and even the 2-1 defeat to rangers in 2011 was pretty bad after Las equalised and we blew it almost instantly. My first semi-final was the less-remembered Skol cup one in 1987 against rangers where we scored first and then lost 3-1 with Kirk scoring an OG that was a carbon copy of his final winner a few years later. 

So far, I'm W4 (Celtic 4-2 (replay), Hearts 3-2, St Johnstone 3-0, Rangers 2-0), L4 (Rangers 1-3,  Rangers 4-3, Celtic 1-2, Rangers 1-2) and D1 (Celtic 0-0 in 1991)

17 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Ideally, I would prefer Ball in midfield as he is less cumbersome than O'Connor and more comfortable at taking the ball on the turn. However, given our lack of options at right-back, that is probably our best available XI. 

I do have major concerns about  O'Connor and a half-fit Nwakali in midfield, but I can't see an obviously better alternative at this stage. I'd imagine Arnason and McKenna will be playing plenty long punts up to May and into the channels, especially due to McLean's absence. 

Perhaps with a lack of midfield, and a lot of long punts, Rooney and May up top could be decent? So long as May stayed put up top to try and feed off scraps. Cosgrove an option too? (Letting Stockley go really looks quite poor at this stage doesn't it?)

Perhaps with a lack of midfield, and a lot of long punts, Rooney and May up top could be decent? So long as May stayed put up top to try and feed off scraps. Cosgrove an option too? (Letting Stockley go really looks quite poor at this stage doesn't it?)

For all his flaws, I thought Stockley was a handy option. Certainly preferable to both Maynard and Cosgrove. His return relative to mins on the pitch was respectable and he was a lump of a nuisance. May playing off Stockley would probably have proved a really useful combination in games where our midfield was drowning.

Semi's have been a real mixed bag for me.
The LC semi at Easter Rd against Hearts was one of the all-time great jumps, the win this season against Rangers was great for a number of reasons and the 91 semi replay against Celtic contained the best goal I've ever seen and is only bettered by the final in my favourite ever games.
On the other hand, the Corrigan backpass semi against Celtic was one of the bigger sickeners I can ever remember and even the 2-1 defeat to rangers in 2011 was pretty bad after Las equalised and we blew it almost instantly. My first semi-final was the less-remembered
where we scored first and then lost 3-1 with Kirk scoring an OG that was a carbon copy of his final winner a few years later. 
So far, I'm W4 (Celtic 4-2 (replay), Hearts 3-2, St Johnstone 3-0, Rangers 2-0), L4 (Rangers 1-3,  Rangers 4-3, Celtic 1-2, Rangers 1-2) and D1 (Celtic 0-0 in 1991)

I had completely deleted the Corrigan game and the 2-1 against Rangers from my memory. What a boot in the stones that semi against Celtic was as we bossed them the whole game.

Unfortunately that means my semi final record isn’t as good as I thought but still not bad. W3 L2 F10 A6.

Who will captain Motherwell on Saturday with McHugh and Hartley out the side? 

I'm sure Cadden captained the U20s when they won the cup at Hampden. Do we give the armband to Campbell? Does it even matter? 

1 hour ago, wellboy1991 said:

Allan Campbell as captain would be just pure smashing. Think the wee guy would thrive.

Not going to happen. Been a revelation this season but too young and does not strike me as if he can boss others around - for now anyaway. 

My money would be on Tait given he won the Management player of the year. Either him or possibly Carson are the 2 likely candidates imho 

Not long now 

Any idea what our initial allocation was ? Heard that we don’t have many left (down to the last 100 or so). Someone else said they thought we had sold just over 13K. Either way, not bad considering the needless apathy with some of the support.

Crowd might reach over 21-22K which is a pleasant surprise.

Archived