Motherwell v Rangers

Hopefully this thread isn't as much of a car crash as the 'Well v Celtic one, but maybe I'm expecting too much.

I feel as if we've let ourselves down in the two league games against Rangers this season, so I'm looking for us to pick up something here.

I'd go with the same team that started against Celtic.  Bowman deserves another crack up front (if Cardozo is playing he can even have another accidental crack at his nose), which gives us the option of bringing Ciftci on later on if needed.  Cadden in the middle of the park too. 

Motherwell 1-1 Rangers

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless there are injuries after another week in the Thunderdome I can't see why we wouldn't go with the same team that started against Celtic.

Agree with Desp, it feels like we've let ourselves down against Rangers in the league this season. The opening day we could easily have taken something from the game but conceded a cheap early goal and a cheap penalty. The game at Ibrox came in the middle of our December slump at a point where we were missing key players, carrying injuries and were clearly just desperate to get to the winter break and draw a line under an absolute shitshow of results.

Either way, we've got options up front...

or

dundee-united-nadir-ciftci.jpg

In about them.

Depends on who the ref is yet again. Given a level playing field I think we could come away with a victory, 2-1. Agreed, start with the same team as against Celtic. Though I couldn't agree with Ciftci getting anywhere near the team at anytime. Sadly the guy is not what we need. Lazy and goes down at the slightest contact. The occasional nice flick here and there is a luxury we can't afford. far as a car crash of a thread, best if we just ignore the trolling that is coming our direction. Like we should have done with there tramp twins. [emoji16]

Why would he need pre season? He was never injured. Been training all season same as his team mates. If he puts as much in at training as he does in games then 3 months pre season wouldn't make a difference. It's no wonder Celtic insisted that If Plymouth took him on loan they could not send him back. So they offloaded him on us.

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

Depends if Motherwell get a referee who's "out to get them"

Oh they will. :blink:

45 minutes ago, well91 said:

Why would he need pre season? He was never injured. Been training all season same as his team mates. If he puts as much in at training as he does in games then 3 months pre season wouldn't make a difference. It's no wonder Celtic insisted that If Plymouth took him on loan they could not send him back. So they offloaded him on us.

He was injured at Plymouth. He picked up an ankle injury in a development league game in October.

The 25-year-old has failed to score in six League One games for the Pilgrims and had to be substituted in a Central League game against MK Dons last Tuesday because of a back problem.

Ciftci has now had to have an injection in an ankle and it is unclear when he will be able to return to action for Argyle.

Manager Derek Adams said: “We are just assessing Nadir. He had an injection into his ankle on Tuesday so he has got a period of time to let that settle in.

“It’s a degenerative problem that has been going on for a wee while. We are trying to get him back fit and playing again.”

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/plymouth-argyles-loan-celtic-striker-651308

Clearly that's not the reason he wasn't playing and a "back injury" is generally quite euphemistic but equally it seems clear Adams signed him and had no idea what to do with him. By all accounts he had an entirely shite spell with them as he did at other loan clubs.

Either way, injured or not he played 537 mins of football for Plymouth in almost 6 months and had only played 49 mins of first team football since mid-September by the time he signed for us in January.

I'm a fan of Ciftci so there's no real point in getting worked into a shoot about it but regardless of whether you think he's a decent player or not and whether he's worth having in the team it stands to reason with as little football as he had he'll have been miles off match fitness.

2 hours ago, well91 said:

Sorry, wasn't aware he had an injury over 5 month ago. How long does it take someone to regain fitness? and if he was that unfit why did we sign him? Still no excuse for being a lazy cheat.

Dunno, I'm not a sports scientist but given he didn't do a pre-season with Celtic's first team, Plymouth's pre-season started 1st July so given he signed on 21st August he missed that too and he only managed a single 19 min sub appearance for their first team in 3.5 months prior to signing for us and he picked up an injury that ruled him out for several weeks it doesn't seem a massive stretch to say that he'd be well behind everyone else not only in match fitness but also his base fitness levels too.

Given our pre-season started at the end of June last year with the league season starting 6th August then you're looking at just over a month to get any sort of base fitness. You'll be several weeks into the season before you're even approaching being match fit. A couple of months seems like a reasonable estimate of how long it'd be before you'd expect someone who's starting from the sort of reasonable base to be approaching 100%.

Having said all that spending my time defending Nadir Ciftci's fitness (or lack of) is entirely the wrong fucking hill for me.

Dunno, I'm not a sports scientist but given he didn't do a pre-season with Celtic's first team, Plymouth's pre-season started 1st July so given he signed on 21st August he missed that too and he only managed a single 19 min sub appearance for their first team in 3.5 months prior to signing for us and he picked up an injury that ruled him out for several weeks it doesn't seem a massive stretch to say that he'd be well behind everyone else not only in match fitness but also his base fitness levels too.
Given our pre-season started at the end of June last year with the league season starting 6th August then you're looking at just over a month to get any sort of base fitness. You'll be several weeks into the season before you're even approaching being match fit. A couple of months seems like a reasonable estimate of how long it'd be before you'd expect someone who's starting from the sort of reasonable base to be approaching 100%.
Having said all that spending my time defending Nadir Ciftci's fitness (or lack of) is entirely the wrong fucking hill for me.

So basically we should never have signed him.

So basically we should never have signed him.

As far as I have been told we are paying 1/4 of his wage. 2grand per week. I'm sure that money could have been much better spent than trying to get a Celtic player fit so they can try to sell him. There is no way he's going to give us a return on that. Anyway Robinson ain't made to many mistakes so he's welcome to that one.

We should have no fear about getting stuck in to these mutant b*****ds.

I feel we have enough about us to win the midfield battle and I can see Main and Bowman causing the Sevco defence problems.

Hopefully we won’t be subjected to another disgraceful refereeing performance but I won’t hold my breath.

2-1 Motherwell.

This game will either go one of two ways imo.

Either it is a standard Motherwell v Rangers fixture which we match them throughout but Rangers end up winning 1-0 or 2-1 after we've hit the post/missed a sitter/missed a penalty late on and walk out frustrated as f**k.

Or...

We win 3-0 and for the first time in over fifteen years record a league victory over a Rangers side.

I honestly think that either outcome is possible here.

Hopefully this is a 'dress rehearsal' for the Scottish Cup Final.

Archived