Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

9 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Why did the Pirates player just not step on 1st base and he would have been out. Amazing a guy plays baseball all his days, makes the Major Leagues and doesn't seem to know the rules

It's even funnier when shit like this happens given they've all been taking the huff about "unwritten rules" again over the last few weeks

• 2 weeks later...

Watching deGrom cut through the Padres. Retired the first 9 in order, 5k's. I've been watching baseball for over 20 years and I don't remember anyone even close to what he's doing just now. He's also got a batting average over 100 points better than any hitter in either line up.

ETA - he just drove in a pair to make it 3-0 bottom of the 5th.

Edited by placidcasual

Hopefully the Pads can use that walk-off to get something going. The arse is in danger of falling out of their season completely the way they have been playing the past few weeks.

The pitching is just weird. Either the starter throws a real quality start (rare) and the bullpen chucks it, or the starting pitching is hit out of the game inside 2-3 innings and the bullpen ends up having to do a long restoration job for the umpteenth night running. It's frustrating as hell.

Top of the NL West to 6.5 games back and clinging on to the WC in the blink of an eye. This isn't the division where you can blow hot and cold.

Edited by Boo Khaki

And just like that, another bullpen game for the Pads as Lamet misses the start for no discernible reason.

Get the feeling the Pads could have 10 starters on the roster and they'd still never get a full 5 start rotation out of them.

2 hours ago, placidcasual said:

D-backs win! Snap their 17 game streak!

They got absolutely smashed in San Francisco last week.  Looked absolute bereft of coaching, in all honesty.  Their road record is an all time worst, I believe.

They got absolutely smashed in San Francisco last week.  Looked absolute bereft of coaching, in all honesty.  Their road record is an all time worst, I believe.
Yeah, I think they 'beat' the record for road games lost on the spin at some point last week. I'm surprised 17 in a row wasn't the outright record tbf. A quick check on Google and the Royals lost 18 as recently as 2005.

Silly game in progress in SD. Dbacks starter lasted 0.1 innings, Paddack 2.1 and threw 72 pitches in that time. Pads have thrown 123 pitches through 5 innings. Tatis Jr with 3 Homers in 3 at bats :bag Just bad, bad baseball all around. Only thing missing is a couple of comedy defensive errors.

DeGrom's ERA has dropped from 0.68 to 0.69, nice. He's not bad for player who didn't start pitching until about halfway through college.

The Phillies Aaron Nola becomes only the 2nd player in MLB history to record 10 strikeouts in a row. The only player to previously do so was hall of famer Tom Seavers for the Mets against the Padres in 1970. Seven pitchers have done nine in a row since 1970 the most recent being Jacob DeGrom in April.

Brave's pitcher Mike Soroka can't catch a break. Already in recover for a torn achilles tendon he tore it again while walking on Thursday & now requires a third surgery on his achilles tendon.

Last spot for the upcoming Olympics was confirmed at the weekend with the Dominican Republic seeing off Venezuela & the Netherlands in the Final Qualifying tournament. Dominican Republic beat Venezuela 8-5 in the final of the tournament hosted in Puebla, Mexico. China, Taiwan & Australia were eligible to take part but withdrew. They join the following five already qualified:

Japan (tournament hosts)
Israel (Africa/Europe Qualifying Event winner)
Mexico (WBSC Premier12 runner up)*
South Korea (WBSC Premier12 third place)*
USA (Americas Qualifying Event winner)

*- WBSC Premier12 was won by Japan who had already qualified as hosts.

Edited by GNU_Linux

Some just terrible starting pitching in the Brewers vs Cubs free game today.  Luckily for the Cubs, Keston Hiura can't hit his way out of a paper bag.  Even still, the first inning took nearly an hour.

Some just terrible starting pitching in the Brewers vs Cubs free game today.  Luckily for the Cubs, Keston Hiura can't hit his way out of a paper bag.  Even still, the first inning took nearly an hour.
A seven run lead will be enough, won't it?

The Cubs: hold my beer

Yeah, I think they 'beat' the record for road games lost on the spin at some point last week. I'm surprised 17 in a row wasn't the outright record tbf. A quick check on Google and the Royals lost 18 as recently as 2005.
Cubs having a go at this too now. Pretty poor, given their roster. Have to imagine Ross will be under pressure to keep his job.

Cubs having a go at this too now. Pretty poor, given their roster. Have to imagine Ross will be under pressure to keep his job.
The streak ends at 12. The bats have been pretty quiet all year, which was covered up early on by an overachieving bullpen.

Jake Arrieta, sadly, has been awful since he came back. He's now "injured". I don't expect he'll be back.