Elgin City 2018/19

Waste of a quality footballer! Fit and interested Shane could easily be a full time player but it takes more than talent. Not sure what team would take the risk to pay money for him now - even half interested he’s good enough to play in any team in this league but who would take the risk given his history of being a problem. No way we will pay for a player so no chance of him coming back here and I’m glad tbh (despite sticking up for him whilst he was here).

Edited by Briggsy's Ghost

2 hours ago, elginer said:

Agree with Thom & Gerry. Shane will end up in the Highland league and then fade out of the game completely. Very poor attitude generally .

have him back in a flash alongside Hester could be good partnership

37 minutes ago, Auld Git said:

Think a lot of other players should find their level too, cause it’s certainly not L2
Good luck to Chris

Not sure I wholly agree with that. We certainly need some players but taking away the loan players and players that have left I don’t think too many of the players left are out of their depth. I know you don’t like our defence but personally, I think we now have 4 decent centre halves individually - granted decent individuals can still add up to a cluster but I don’t think we’ll get much better. Add a full back or 2 and a centre midfielder and I think we’ll be ok. Goals I fear will be our biggest problem next year.

11 hours ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

So it’s ok for McInally and Peterhead to actively pursue Sutherland whilst he’s an Elgin player and turning his head to the extent he leaves but as soon another team does it to Peterhead it’s underhanded and shameful - what a Whalloper!

At the time he was being actively touted for sale with silly money being bandied about for various clubs interested none of which if I remember correctly were full time, we agreed a deal with Elgin just before the window closed which Shane signed & possibly thought he could have done better within a few days. Personally would be surprized if any full time deal would have materialised and while he has talent we cannot allow a player to disrupt our dressing room. If we can get some cash back fair enough but failing that either put him on gardening leave or get him to  honour his contract

20 minutes ago, peternapper said:

At the time he was being actively touted for sale with silly money being bandied about for various clubs interested none of which if I remember correctly were full time, we agreed a deal with Elgin just before the window closed which Shane signed & possibly thought he could have done better within a few days. Personally would be surprized if any full time deal would have materialised and while he has talent we cannot allow a player to disrupt our dressing room. If we can get some cash back fair enough but failing that either put him on gardening leave or get him to  honour his contract

No he wasn’t actively touted for sale ( “silly money” was in the summer). He may have wanted away but the club never started the fire sale. McInally’s own statement says you were after him for some time and he wanted to come for some time - it’s either tapping someone up (albeit mutual) or someone in McInally’s house has a crystal ball/Derren brown! You took a (very talented) disinterested player and got a (very talented) disinterested player cause a bigger fish came calling.

Edited by Briggsy's Ghost

5 minutes ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

No he wasn’t actively touted for sale ( “silly money” was in the summer). He may have wanted away but the club never started the fire sale. McInally’s own statement says you were after him for some time and he wanted to come for some time - it’s either tapping someone up (albeit mutual) or someone in McInally’s house has a crystal ball/Darren brown! You took a (very talented) disinterested player and got a (very talented) disinterested player cause a bigger fish came calling.

We have obviously got our fingers burnt in this not so much for the fee which was fairly small compared what was being quoted at one stage.  I do find it unlikely that Caley would have been offering a full time deal at that stage for what was a talented lower league player with a chequered history of commitment at an age that development was probably past being improved on. Shane is in the right frame of mind a good lower league player who never really fulfilled his potential. Sadly unless he can commit fully he is better kept out of the picture. 

Would not surprise at all me if Caley were interested in a full time deal. Full time fitness and interested Sutherland is not a lower league player. Hypothetical when his attitude can’t back it up. If he decides to knuckle down in the 1st division I still think you’ll have a great player - it’s the bleating from McInally about people turning his head that I find hypocritical!

Will be interesting where Shane does end up.
He lives local to Elgin and I can't see us being an option.
Who does that leave within reasonable travelling distance[emoji848]

How many of the Highland League clubs are still paying big cash? Because you have got to think that's where he's going to end up. They are welcome to him.

We have obviously got our fingers burnt in this not so much for the fee which was fairly small compared what was being quoted at one stage.  I do find it unlikely that Caley would have been offering a full time deal at that stage for what was a talented lower league player with a chequered history of commitment at an age that development was probably past being improved on. Shane is in the right frame of mind a good lower league player who never really fulfilled his potential. Sadly unless he can commit fully he is better kept out of the picture. 
My thoughts exactly. No offense, but I'm at least glad that Elgin weren't the only club taken for a ride. If we signed him again and he peaked again, how long until his head is turned by other clubs?

Don’t agree with ‘very talented’ He had a great three quarters of a season hasn’t done much since injury comeback, attitude or injury? He was working for the Mchardys while in Elgin, didn't turn up for them half the time.

See Morrison off to Brora. Wondered who McKay was looking at when he was at Berwick  game. Heard Buckie were after him.

Readings in the Northern Scot that Gavin Price is starting the season with Darryl further forward. Presumably in Centre Midfield.
I know that is a position where he played all through the youth system and where he always says is his main position.
It remains to be seen if he has the pace and discipline to play there permanently though I would say. He is certainly a goal threat and good on the ball but not sure if he does the dirty side of that role well enough.

He’ll do the dirty side ok, my doubt would be his distribution but can see him sitting deep and breaking up play if he can discipline himself enough. The way the manager is speaking he sees him as an attacking threat though so that beggars the question who is going to sit in, Soapy? Surely not. 

Early days I know and the manager may have some irons in the fire but I worry about his connections and ability to attract players. With the signing of so many local lads we are maybe preparing for life in the HL!