The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Didn't Roberts get help with Recruitment from McLaughin? I think if both had stayed at that time, Ayr would have been relegated. 

I highly doubt a player would be helping the manager with recruitment. 

I think he recommended Andy Robertson because he’d played against him in League 2 but Roberts was told he was going to the Premiership.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think he recommended Andy Robertson because he’d played against him in League 2 but Roberts was told he was going to the Premiership.

Yeah, I remember reading something about it. 

41 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Aye I’m not really getting the McLaughlin hate. I loved him in his first spell when it was him and Ryan McCann in the middle. He wasn’t very good in his second spell but I can’t say I dislike him.

The only ex Ayr United players that I have any sort of dislike towards is Johnny Tiffioney and Darren Brownlie although I suspect Gary Harkins will get dogs abuse at Somerset this season. 

Brownlie? What did Brownlie do to upset you?

46 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Wattoo  your post brought back memories to me I'm sure you'll enjoy this

Im coaching Ayr Boswell  under 15 many years ago and we were needing players, one of the players brought along his pal who stayed in alloway and as we were desperate we gave him a trial, first game against Beith who were a big side especially there captain who was a bear.

Im not expecting much from the trialist as he was a small wiry lad but 15 minutes into the game he  is showing he can really play a bit and then goes in to a 50/50 with the bear and absolutely destroys him resulting in a broken nose for the bear. I look at my assistant and go what have we found here, the bear goes off to get treatment and comes back on  like a raging  bull looking for the trialist  another 50/50 and again the bear comes second and from then on keeps well away from the trialist.

After the game I say to the player we want to sign him and commented how I was surprised how tough a guy he was coming from alloway, and he pipes up oh I may come from alloway  now but I grew up in Glasgow think it was Easter house scheme and that explained a lot.

He went on to sign for Ayr united at 16 his name DUNCAN GEORGE

That was our Duncan all right !!

What makes the story even better is the "Beith" boy being destroyed, me being from Kilbirnie and all that !!!

24 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Must be Ross Doohan on loan from celtic then, pretty sure he was on loan at Morton last year.

Yeah he was but never played a single game for us.

Apparently highly regarded but we just never got to see it.

Just now, AyrExile said:

In what could be a very busy season for any goalkeeper I’m not sure someone with no league experience would be the answer. 

Agreed. Particularly if our playing style is the same as last year where we're flooding forward and susceptible to counter-attacks at the back.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

He said in his interview that McCall wanted to keep him and it was due to a falling out between Roberts and Davie White that he wanted away.

Don’t know how true it is. Does sound like he’s trying to convince himself that that’s the case by constantly saying McCall tried to sign him earlier in his career.

He's right about White being a backstabbing b*****d towards Marko, it's time Ayr had their own academy IMHO.

He's right about White being a backstabbing b*****d towards Marko, it's time Ayr had their own academy IMHO.
Out of interest, at inception was the academy brand new or a youth team rebranding to align with the club?

1 minute ago, Hawk89 said:
12 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Out of interest, at inception was the academy brand new or a youth team rebranding to align with the club?

Brand new, from memory it was guys from the trust among others that started it.

Brand new, from memory it was guys from the trust among others that started it.

Wasn't sure how it all started. I'm of an age where I played football will Ally Woodburn after school on a Friday. So didn't pay as much attention back then. (He was about as standout there as he was at Ayr).

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I highly doubt a player would be helping the manager with recruitment. 

Paddy Boyle said on his he told McCall to get Docherty in (and McCall didn't know who he was :lol:)

52 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:
1 hour ago, Roxanne said:
Look at it from this perspective. Anybody is an improvement on Jordan Hart. 

Calm down let's not make sweeping statements. Ruddy ffs.

I'm sure a Goalkeeper, who has been trained by either of the old firm would be good enough.