The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I don't know how many of you use an iptv app, however the South African "super sports" channel just shows how much the UK consumer is being ripped right off. They have 14 HD channels and have all the live English, Spanish & Italian matches that are on tonight plus live Tennis, Golf, F1 and various other events on their other channels. The picture quality is excellent and the commentary all in English. As for us, we'd need to pay for about 6 separate subscriptions and take out a bank loan just to pay the monthly TV bill !!!

How does the IPTV thing work? I’m terrible with technology but that sounds decent 

How does the IPTV thing work? I’m terrible with technology but that sounds decent 

You pay someone to subscribe and then you need an app to view the streams, usually on a firestick, smart TV or android box/phone.

The app handles the navigation of channels, some have an EPG (TV guide) too.

I've just gone back to sky sports for the month. I got sick of the rubbish quality of the sky streams

Eta - it might be an obvious thing to point out but IPTV is in no way a legal substitute for sky and BT

You pay someone to subscribe and then you need an app to view the streams, usually on a firestick, smart TV or android box/phone. 

I've just gone back to sky sports for the month. I got sick of the rubbish quality of the sky streams

Eta - it might be an obvious thing to point out but IPTV is in no way a legal substitute for sky and BT

My mate uses a VPN and subscribes legally (I think) to DAZN or Bein Sports. Says its brilliant and you dont get any dodgy streams.

7 minutes ago, ftk said:
2 hours ago, Mr X said:

My mate uses a VPN and subscribes legally (I think) to DAZN or Bein Sports. Says its brilliant and you dont get any dodgy streams.

If he's doing that, then he isnt using IPTV. I've no idea the legalities of subscribing to an overseas channel!! I would imagine the quality and reliability would be much better doing it that way

I watched one of the EPL games on Bein Sports. It was fine but then the next day I couldnt find the game I wanted. Generally, IPTV is fine, if you're prepared to compromise on picture quality or spend a bit of time finding streams - or you're really lucky and dont have any issues (its also possible that my standards are too high :lol:) Funnily enough, theres never any problem with BT streams

I just decided that £18 for a month was worth it with all the games coming up.

ETA and theyre not tying you into a long term contract at the moment either

Edited by Mr X

20 minutes ago, ftk said:
2 hours ago, Mr X said:

He might pay for it but it's not legal. That DAZN is a good service, at least in Canada, get just about every footy league/tournament cheap as chips.

7 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

He might pay for it but it's not legal. 

Im not so sure. Genuinely subscribing and paying for an overseas tv channel is far more of a grey area than streaming IPTV that you havent paid for.

Plenty of ex-pats use VPNS legitimately to watch TV from their native country. Its probably against the T&Cs of the service but I dont know if it would be classed as illegal.

He might pay for it but it's not legal. That DAZN is a good service, at least in Canada, get just about every footy league/tournament cheap as chips.
I think it is legal. There was a whole debate on hotUkdeals over somebody putting up a deal on how to subscribe to Argentian Netflix 4k for £4.74 a month using a VPN.

Some users said it was illegal but the site checked with their lawyers and they said it was legal.

11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Im not so sure. Genuinely subscribing and paying for an overseas tv channel is far more of a grey area than streaming IPTV that you havent paid for.

Plenty of ex-pats use VPNS legitimately to watch TV from their native country. Its probably against the T&Cs of the service but I dont know if it would be classed as illegal.

DAZN doesn't have the rights to show UK content in the UK so I can't see how you can say it's a grey area, regardless if you pay for it or not , it is no different than IPTV, which you also usually pay for.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

DAZN doesn't have the rights to show UK content in the UK so I can't see how you can say it's a grey area, regardless if you pay for it or not , it is no different than IPTV, which you also usually pay for.

Its very different! If I subscribe to Netflix in the USA, for example, Im paying money to Netflix. If I pay for an IPTV service, Im not paying any money to the content providers. Even worse, Im paying money to people who are illegal gathering streams without paying any money to the content providers. Thats what makes using IPTV illegal, the accessing of a subscription service you dont subscribe to.

Broadcast rights are a different thing altogether. I dont believe theres any law covering them, other than contract law covering the contract between the content provider and the subscription service. As a viewer accessing content from outside of the UK, for example, Im not breaking that contract. As I said, its almost certainly against the T&Cs of the service and you'll get booted off if caught, but whether or not its illegal is far less clear cut. Unlike IPTV which is very clearly illegal

Just checked a few sites.

If you use a VPN service to access streaming content that is blocked in your region you are doing nothing illegal. However sometimes you may violate the terms of service document of a given company.

59 minutes ago, ftk said:
3 hours ago, Mr X said:

Does he have to give a false address for this? 

Its very different! If I subscribe to Netflix in the USA, for example, Im paying money to Netflix. If I pay for an IPTV service, Im not paying any money to the content providers. Even worse, Im paying money to people who are illegal gathering streams without paying any money to the content providers. Thats what makes using IPTV illegal, the accessing of a subscription service you dont subscribe to.
Broadcast rights are a different thing altogether. I dont believe theres any law covering them, other than contract law covering the contract between the content provider and the subscription service. As a viewer accessing content from outside of the UK, for example, Im not breaking that contract. As I said, its almost certainly against the T&Cs of the service and you'll get booted off if caught, but whether or not its illegal is far less clear cut. Unlike IPTV which is very clearly illegal

It's not that different in that you're not paying money to the company which have the rights to show content in the uk, regardless if it's to another company or illegal streamers

Does he have to give a false address for this? 
They dont ask for an address just an email address.

It's very similar to how netflix or now tv or WWE network works.

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

It's not that different in that you're not paying money to the company which have the rights to show content in the uk, regardless if it's to another company or illegal streamers

Well, no you're not.

But it is different, very different. The difference between illegally downloading content you havent paid for and violating the T&Cs of a subscription

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

Cheers for that. I have a smart tv and have searched for IPTV apps on there before and nothing showed up 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Mmm, how thin would you like to split that hair?

If the individual is lying on an application, giving a false address, using a VPN to imply he is located in a different country in order to obtain a service he is not entitled to receive in the UK then that's pretty clearly fraud. If he isn't lying then the company in question is illegally supplying a service to the UK which is in breach of the exclusive UK broadcast deal with Sky. This may potentially be  a civil breach rather than a criminal one but that's debatable. There are lots of examples of Sky pursuing pubs for broadcasting foreign streams rather than subscribing to Sky. Mostly these cases are won and they seem to always involve a criminal prosecution rather than a civil one. Of course the pubs are a much more obvious target as they are actually making money through trading on the back of the broadcasts. Not sure if there's been any action against any individuals but presumably in principle the same option is open?

https://www.entsportslawjournal.com/articles/10.16997/eslj.76/print/

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Mmm, how thin would you like to split that hair?

If the individual is lying on an application, giving a false address, using a VPN to imply he is located in a different country in order to obtain a service he is not entitled to receive in the UK then that's pretty clearly fraud. If he isn't lying then the company in question is illegally supplying a service to the UK which is in breach of the exclusive UK broadcast deal with Sky. This may potentially be  a civil breach rather than a criminal one but that's debatable. There are lots of examples of Sky pursuing pubs for broadcasting foreign streams rather than subscribing to Sky. Mostly these cases are won and they seem to always involve a criminal prosecution rather than a civil one. Of course the pubs are a much more obvious target as they are actually making money through trading on the back of the broadcasts. Not sure if there's been any action against any individuals but presumably in principle the same option is open?

https://www.entsportslawjournal.com/articles/10.16997/eslj.76/print/

It's entirely impractical to do that though you'd think, in terms of resources and manpower. That's why they focus on pubs/resellers and the likes