The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

21 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Ecrepont needs games I think this must mean that we will get a new cb or cm that can cover left back

Patrick Reading has played one whole senior game in his entire career and he seems to be the first choice LB, Ecrepont could've easily rotated with him.   

55 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Patrick Reading has played one whole senior game in his entire career and he seems to be the first choice LB, Ecrepont could've easily rotated with him.   

I've not seen Ecrepont since Wrexham and while I thought he did well and looked pretty assured / tidy on the ball, I did have reservations about him physically as he seemed very slight for the challenges of a Championship season.

That said, I'd think he'd have grown / bulked up since then and if so could have done a job I'd have thought ?

Still, we're all speculating and I'm sure MK will know much more about his stage of development than we do.

Reading on the other hand looks physically "ready" from what I've seen of him.

1 hour ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

2nd choice Scotland U21 left back , can’t be too bad , got cover at LB with Muirhead and Roscoe if needed , Finn needs a regular game time at moment, with no reserve league this coming season going to Albion will surely get him ready for the following season , he is still young at only turning 18 recently, one of the new signings must also be able to cover 

Edited by Robbo63

57 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

2nd choice Scotland U21 left back , can’t be too bad , got cover at LB with Muirhead and Roscoe if needed , Finn needs a regular game time at moment, with no reserve league this coming season going to Albion will surely get him ready for the following season , he is still young at only turning 18 recently, one of the new signings must also be able to cover 

The thought of Aaron Muirhead or Sam Roscoe playing LB is concerning. Ecrepont could've been a key member of breaking into the squad this season and would've played a substantial number of games. Unless we sign someone who can play LB,  we will be shoehorning players out of position if the worst thought comes to Reading. 

43 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

The thought of Aaron Muirhead or Sam Roscoe playing LB is concerning. Ecrepont could've been a key member of breaking into the squad this season and would've played a substantial number of games. Unless we sign someone who can play LB,  we will be shoehorning players out of position if the worst thought comes to Reading. 

I don’t really understand what the big deal is. 

Ecrepont will play far more games on loan and gain far more experience. I think Kerr is best placed to decide what is best for both him and the team. Unless the first choice LB gets injured he isn’t going to play anything like a substantial amount of games either. 

1 hour ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Aye, I have to agree with this. If Reading gets injured or starts the season poorly the alternative of Muirhead gives me the fear. Falkirk fans said he was truly dreadful at fullback The defender we bring in must be able to play fullback or we could be up shit creek.

Were now down to a first team squad of 15 (two of them being McKenzie and Hewitt) who haven’t played first team football. With potentially a maximum of 4 signings coming in if we get a couple of injuries which we likely will as we have a few injury prone players then we could be struggling to name seven subs. 

15 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Aye, I have to agree with this. If Reading gets injured or starts the season poorly the alternative of Muirhead gives me the fear. Falkirk fans said he was truly dreadful at fullback The defender we bring in must be able to play fullback or we could be up shit creek.

Were now down to a first team squad of 15 (two of them being McKenzie and Hewitt) who haven’t played first team football. With potentially a maximum of 4 signings coming in if we get a couple of injuries which we likely will as we have a few injury prone players then we could be struggling to name seven subs. 

There’s no way Finn was going to play this season unless injuries hit , do you think it’s fair on a young guy sitting on a bench all season awaiting an injury to someone to get a game There is no reserve football this season , the guy needs games to get experience , we have a number of players who can play numerous positions , 

Edited by Robbo63

It’s also likely that Kerr doesn’t think Ecrepont is ready for this level and doesn’t want to have to throw him if Reading gets injured. Let’s just see who Kerr adds to the defence before worrying about our options at left back.

3 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

There’s no way Finn was going to play this season unless injuries hit , do you think it’s fair on a young guy sitting on a bench all season awaiting an injury to someone to get a game There is no reserve football this season , the guy needs games to get experience , we have a number of players who can play numerous positions , 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s also likely that Kerr doesn’t think Ecrepont is ready for this level and doesn’t want to have to throw him if Reading gets injured. Let’s just see who Kerr adds to the defence before worrying about our options at left back.

Pretty much spot on. 

Kerr needs to look at the long game too -  Ecrepont will be much more use to us long term of he is given the chance to gain experience this season. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t really understand what the big deal is. 

Ecrepont will play far more games on loan and gain far more experience. I think Kerr is best placed to decide what is best for both him and the team. Unless the first choice LB gets injured he isn’t going to play anything like a substantial amount of games either. 

Again it comes to this "experience". We loaned out a player to gain more experience yet we sign a player who has only played 1 senior game in his career. 

I think the signing of Reading was good but I thought with him having a 2 year contract might've meant that he wouldn't be first choice most games. 

Gotta trust Kerr on this one but it’s a close call imo and will be worth revisiting to see if it’s been the right decision. Reading looks good on paper but is still a punt. Ecrepont seems to be well known as part of the youth development system and I think bigger teams down south have looked at him. If he fulfills his potential at Albion then some academy teams down south may look again 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Ecrepont seems to have been on the cusp of the first team for years now without actually playing. Big things have been expected of him but aside from Wrexham I can’t actually remember him playing any other games (Maybe Beith as a sub?)

He was 18 last month

Still as young as that? Jeez we must have been touting him for the top since he was 15/16 [emoji50]

IIRC he signed his first deal with us when he was 16 but McCall tried to get him playing the season before but wasn’t allowed.

In fairness to him he wasn’t going to get in ahead of Daniel Harvie for the last two seasons. I believe when Reading leaves, Ecrepont will be our mainstay left back.